Klarus ST15: preliminary look, beam shots and more!

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
(For consideration in Review Section)

Good afternoon everyone!

Today I would like to share a few photos and my views on the Klarus ST15 so far.

Right off the bat, the light appears and feels well build, quality control and design is there (if this is a style you're looking for) and while there is nothing flashy about light (aside from 1100 lumen turbo!) Driven with a XP-L HI V3, its a simple, well designed light. Interface is easy, turn light on with tail clicky, cycle modes with side button. Mode memory, two clicks on any setting giving you strobe and two more clicks from strobe giving you s.o.s (strobe and sos not a remembered mode). Pocket clip is reversible. their Runtimes are measured with a 3400 Mah 18650.
_MG_8226.jpg
MG_8227.jpg

MG_8236.jpg

This particular light was the end result of a personal search. I love the brightness/throw and size of the PD35/E2dl. However those two lights were missing something for me. I was looking for the throw of the E2dl, with comparable brightness of the pd35. Now, While I didn't require anything crazy in terms of brightness (a well focused 400 lumens is preferred then a floody 1000) what I was requiring was close to the same size. Obviously the head needed to be larger, but I didn't want to go over board. The ST15 has fit that bill perfectly for me.

As you can see, there really isn't much of a size difference, but those subtle differences, larger reflector and preferred modes make this a great belt carry.

_MG_8239.jpg
_MG_8242.jpg

The recessed clicky and stainless ring aid in use as a candle and a low mode of 10 lumens with ceiling bounce works great for that. The bezel is also simple in design, but rugged and visually pleasing. The battery indicator is a nice addition, but not needed. Glass appears well made, no chips or scratches. LED also looks well centered. Though the clicky is recessed, I don't have issues applying pressure to it. I have heard of some people having issues, that wasn't the case for me however.

_MG_8245.jpg
_MG_8246.jpg
_MG_8254.jpg

Front and back contact springs Also make this an option for a weapon light, I will test this out at a later date. Considering quality so far, I don't see an issue.

_MG_8266.jpg
_MG_8263.jpg

The Threads also seem we done (came greased) im comparison to Surefires threading.
_MG_8260.jpg

Included from Klarus are a couple odds and ends, belt case (decent quality) 1x 2600 Mah 18650, lanyard, spare o-ring and a pocket clip attached to the light.

_MG_8268.jpg

Time for some Beam shots!

These are shot at slower shutter speed, just to show pronounced beam pattern.

on low:
Klarus ST15 (10 lumens, 215 hr), Fenix PD35 (14 lumens "eco mode" 150 hr)
MG_8279.jpg
_MG_8283.jpg

"Medium":
ST15 (100 lumens, 18 hr), PD35 (180 Lumes, 10 hr)
_MG_8280.jpg
_MG_8285.jpg

High:
ST15 (400 lumens, 5 hr runtime), PD35 (480 lumen, 3hr 15min runtime)
_MG_8281.jpg
_MG_8286.jpg

Turbo:
ST15 (1100 lumens, 1 hr 40 min), PD35 (960 Lumens, 1 hr 10 min)
_MG_8282.jpg
_MG_8287.jpg

Now, while these two lights sit side beside the fenix looks to be brighter. I believe part of that is color of the light as well as pattern. From quickly trying this light its was obvious the throw was there, out ranging the fenix by the claimed extra 100 meters. outdoor shots will be done with these lights to give and understanding of real world use in that sense. Once considerable outdoor testing is done, Recommendation of this light can be made. Until then:

Pros:
- Price is great
- Comes with battery
- Good runtimes with respective outputs and throw
- Good quality on the surface

Cons:
- Some artifacts in the beam pattern, but not detrimental
- Some may dislike the clicky being recessed
- It may retire me fenix and surefire! :popcorn:

Thanks for tagging along everyone! if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Ben

Last edited:

Javora

Enlightened
Nice review. I love the stainless steel on both ends. The only things missing IMHO is a USB charging port and ridges on the basal. It's what I call dancing around perfection.