Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/r40

2f88510e7f2d41959a83f65b61bff5f2.png

e0fe39944dca4ca6b170074775da0265.png

Last edited:

toobadorz

Newly Enlightened
Finally a 26650 flashlight from NITECORE. But will there also be another one, say, R40GT, which is equipped with XHP35 HI? Also I noted that it came with a proprietary 26650, just like OLIGHT R50.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
I like the throw on this light,but not so much the run times. Just my 2 cents, I will leave the technical members comment more. I do like the looks though.

pblanch

Enlightened
I love the inductive charger.

200lm for 10hrs is a winner also.

Remster

Newly Enlightened
I'm new and I really like the inductive charging as well as the built-in usb charging. So this or the Olight R50 or Acebeam EC50 Gen II?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pros:
Inductive charging means no cables or extra hardware.
Moonlight mode.

Cons:
Custom battery - why do so many manufacturers do this ? (Olight, FourSevens, Nitecore). Acebeam got it right with the EC50/EC60.
Difficult-to-find side switch when you need to turn it on quickly in the dark. They need to make the switch button into a find-me beacon.
Low-output LED. This light needs an XHP!

royjohnson77

Newly Enlightened
Pros:
Moonlight mode.

Cons:
Custom battery - why do so many manufacturers do this ? (Olight, FourSevens, Nitecore). Acebeam got it right with the EC50/EC60.

One of reasons they do only customized battery is because they want customers to purchase they own brand of batteries.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think xhp35 hi would throw further than an xpl hi with a reflector this size, so no GT version with xhp35 hi. I think they could have pushed the xpl hi another 200 lumens or so with the larger battery and heatsinking capability.

I don't see a reason to get this with Manker U21 and especially Vinh's new U21vn at a low price.

germed

Newly Enlightened
Pros:
Moonlight mode.

Cons:
Difficult-to-find side switch when you need to turn it on quickly in the dark. They need to make the switch button into a find-me beacon.
Low-output LED. This light needs an XHP!

totally agree with you we have standard usb cables now but they start to make unique batteries now good for them bad for us

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be interesting to see if one could even use a regular 26650 cell in this light. I'm betting that since it has both a positive and a negative post on each end that bad things would happen if one tried to use a regular 26650.

To answer my own statement, from the manual:

*The R40 is designed to work with the NL2650DW battery only, it shall not be used with other button top

or flat top 26650 batteries.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and opine that the use of both connections on the base of the cell has to do with the inductive/USB charging, both of which are done from the base of the light.

I also find it interesting that this is the first Nitecore light that I know of that uses a flat top cell.

jedi_master

Newly Enlightened
I don't think xhp35 hi would throw further than an xpl hi with a reflector this size, so no GT version with xhp35 hi. I think they could have pushed the xpl hi another 200 lumens or so with the larger battery and heatsinking capability.

I don't see a reason to get this with Manker U21 and especially Vinh's new U21vn at a low price.

Acebeam EC60's head has the same diameter and its reflector may be slightly shorter and yet it throws 600m with XHP35 HI. So this light isn't impressive in terms of brightness, throw and runtime. Nitecore needs a new light to take on EC60.

Latest posts