Budget but quality 18650 (and more) charger

tigfur

Newly Enlightened
Hello, for a friend who plans on getting into 18650 flashlights im looking for suggestions for a good value and quality charger.

What we are looking for would be something of the Thrunite U1 type (small size, usb connection for solar charger, also charges other batteries, can be used as a battery bank and can be carried on a belt)

Since thrunite only sells it with a battery i wonder if there is a different one availible as a standalone device, or perhaps if for the same price we could get an even better charger than that. (maybe charging two batteries?)

I can not buy a thrunite charger with a good heart after my mcc-4 has broken on its own being used for about 5 times standing on a table the whole time i have owned it.

Thank you for any suggestions

Phlogiston

Enlightened
You're probably better asking this question in the "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" subforum, because that's where all the battery & charger stuff happens.

The moderators can move this thread there if you want. Use the "Report Post" at the bottom left of your post and put your move request in the message.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Xtar XP1 won't charge 18650s. It's a single cell multi-chemistry USB charger for small cells (up to 18500 size) only. The smallest chargers by Xtar that will charge 18650s are the MC1 series. The MC1+ and MC1 Ant are preferable to the plain MC1 since they charge an 18650 at 1A rather than .5A. The MC2 is a USB charger that will charge 2x18650. But only at .5A apiece. It is, however, still faster than successively charging two 18650s on a 1A single bay charger. All of these chargers are quite inexpensive, but NONE can be used as a battery bank.

Last edited:

tigfur

Newly Enlightened
You're probably better asking this question in the "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" subforum, because that's where all the battery & charger stuff happens.

The moderators can move this thread there if you want. Use the "Report Post" at the bottom left of your post and put your move request in the message.

oh thank you, i couldnt find the right forum

tigfur

Newly Enlightened
The xtars MC1+, ANT and MC2 are good options, but they dont have an output and dont charge NiMhs
Klarus K1 doesnt have an output also, and its not really good for noobs
The Klarus CH1 is exactly what im looking for, but reviews seem to mention the electronics inside arent the best for the batteries...

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks really promising but ill better wait for a review. the input limit of only 5v 1A compared to the 12V of the others is something interesting
If you are looking for a charger powered by USB then of course the input will be 5V not 12V (at least until we get QC compatible ones). For a single cell the 5W input is OK it can charge Li-Ion at 1A. So thie input specifications are aligned correctly for the capabilities of the charger.

tigfur

Newly Enlightened
i see. that explains a lot of stuff, in that case it must be just as bad as the thrunite. but without the accesories. definately something to consider.

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
have you checked out the Liitokala series of chargers?
There is a single, double and quad-bay version.
I have the Lii-100 single bay version which you can switch between .5 & 1.0 amp charging, and it is multi-chmistry and can act as a power bank with usb output.

And it can be had under $5.

Dunno how you would attach to a belt though, but with a bit of ingenuity that shouldn't be a great hurdle.

The bigger brothers I have not investigated but they should have the basic core functionality and the 4-bay has had some good reviews, as has the Lii-100.

General
Brand: LiitoKala
Type: Charger
Model: lii-100
Plug: Micro USB
Charging Cell Type: LiFePO4,Lithium Ion,Ni-MH
Compatible: 10440,14500,16340 (RCR123),17670,18350,18490,18650
Rechargeable Battery Qty: 1
Input Voltage: DC 5V
Output Voltage: DC 4.2V +/-1pct, DC 5V; power bank output: DC 4.9-5.3V
Functions
Charge Control Methods: CC (Constant-current),CV (Constant-voltage)
Fast Charging Function: Yes
Circuit Detection: Yes
Protected Circuit: Yes
Reverse Polarity Protection: Yes
Short Circuit Protection: Yes
Over Charging Protection: Yes
Over Discharging Protection: Yes

tigfur

Newly Enlightened
have you checked out the Liitokala series of chargers?
There is a single, double and quad-bay version.
I have the Lii-100 single bay version which you can switch between .5 & 1.0 amp charging, and it is multi-chmistry and can act as a power bank with usb output.

And it can be had under $5.

Dunno how you would attach to a belt though, but with a bit of ingenuity that shouldn't be a great hurdle.

The bigger brothers I have not investigated but they should have the basic core functionality and the 4-bay has had some good reviews, as has the Lii-100.

General
Brand: LiitoKala
Type: Charger
Model: lii-100
Plug: Micro USB
Charging Cell Type: LiFePO4,Lithium Ion,Ni-MH
Compatible: 10440,14500,16340 (RCR123),17670,18350,18490,18650
Rechargeable Battery Qty: 1
Input Voltage: DC 5V
Output Voltage: DC 4.2V +/-1pct, DC 5V; power bank output: DC 4.9-5.3V
Functions
Charge Control Methods: CC (Constant-current),CV (Constant-voltage)
Fast Charging Function: Yes
Circuit Detection: Yes
Protected Circuit: Yes
Reverse Polarity Protection: Yes
Short Circuit Protection: Yes
Over Charging Protection: Yes
Over Discharging Protection: Yes

That sounds awesome ill check it out. Thanks

Very good charger for a very low price, so far the best option!

Last edited: