Olight S1R clip alternatives

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my first Olight today, a neutral white S1R and honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. Maybe I've been spoiled by the greatness that is Zebralight, but this light just doesn't seem as well thought out. This is especially in regards to the damn pocket clip. I hate it. Bezel up carry? Not my preference, but I'll deal with it if the light is worth it, but I have to make a very conscious effort to get the thing fully clipped onto my pockets. Am I the only one whose pockets catch on the right angled part of the clip that sticks out like a sore thumb?

My apologies for the rant, I was pretty excited to get this light, it is a first of many things for me, but the fact that the clip makes it totally impractical to carry in an efficient matter really takes away all of the excitement of this light. Are there any other better thought out clips that would work on the S1R?

Thanks guys and again, sorry for the ranting.

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
You are not the only person. I had some similar complaints and not the style of tir optics I was hoping for.

Have found myself with the t10 in pocket lately, just fits better to my needs lately.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, your not the only one. Olight's poorly designed clips and their weird(uncommon) bezel up orientation have kept me from buying Olights for years. They need to look at Nitecore's clips of similar design and add a ramp to the right angled part of the clip as well as offer the option for the preferred(by most imo) bezel down orientation. Or, just go with a screw on bezel down clip like Zebralight, Eagletac, exc. I am also not a fan of their recent move to unprotected acrylic collimators. I prefer lens/reflector lights but, at least if their going to use an acrylic optic they should put a glass or sapphire optical lens in front of it for scratch resistance(just imo of course). Its too bad because I like some of their designs and the fact that they are offering more neutral white emitter options now.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to know I'm not the only one. I have watched countless videos and read plenty of threads on the Baton series and I have yet heard anyone mention the clip not going in and out of the pocket smoothly or how difficult it may be to grab the light with so little sticking out and grabbing it right by the button,, unintentionally turning it on.

I don't know, I'm kind of contemplating on returning it. Don't get me wrong, it's output is very impressive, I love the optic and the charging is genius, but when at the end of the day I would rather have my old, nowhere near as bright SC52W clipped to my pocket (even though I bought the S1R to replace my Zebra as my EDC) than this light, something just ain't right.

I also can't believe I hadn't noticed the exposed TIR optic until Tachead mentioned it, WTH?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can saw the little "Tit" off with a small hacksaw and then file it smooth in there and then the light will at least slide over the fabric but then it can just pull off the light too.
Then you can put a small,tight Ranger Band over it so it does not just snap loose from your pocket.
Really poor design and implementation.

I am loyal to the SC52w myself and something this crucial to my carry is just not acceptable for me.
So I carry one in the 5th pocket instead and it is not too bad.
I have to carry more than 1 anyway so why not there?

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be the minority but I like that bump on the clip. It is just the right distance in to "clip" on the sewn part of my pocket for a pair of jeans.
Given reaching for keys and all else, I like that the light won't move out of my pocket unless I really want it to. Even at 60 or so, it's too expensive to lose.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be the minority but I like that bump on the clip. It is just the right distance in to "clip" on the sewn part of my pocket for a pair of jeans. Given reaching for keys and all else, I like that the light won't move out of my pocket unless I really want it to. Even at 60 or so, it's too expensive to lose.
I'm assuming the bump you are talking about is that arch thingamabob? I don't mind that, I was referring to the right angled bend transition between the part that snaps onto the body of the light and the part that clips to the pocket. Hope that makes sense.

Compare this light's clip to somthing like the Streamlight Microstream's clip that has no "sharp" angles, it's nice and rounded so it doesn't catch on anything.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm assuming the bump you are talking about is that arch thingamabob? I don't mind that, I was referring to the right angled bend transition between the part that snaps onto the body of the light and the part that clips to the pocket. Hope that makes sense.

Compare this light's clip to somthing like the Streamlight Microstream's clip that has no "sharp" angles, it's nice and rounded so it doesn't catch on anything.
Ahhh ok. Just took and a look and I do see/know what you are talking about... I follow you now.
And that edge is indeed annoying when sliding into a pocket. I adjusted to it a while back then stopped thinking about it altogether. The arch thing is what gets my attention most of the time when pocketing still.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be the minority but I like that bump on the clip. It is just the right distance in to "clip" on the sewn part of my pocket for a pair of jeans.
Given reaching for keys and all else, I like that the light won't move out of my pocket unless I really want it to. Even at 60 or so, it's too expensive to lose.

Its not the bump that bothers me, its the 90 degree edge that catches the edge of your pocket when clipping it on. Nitecore uses almost the same clip design but, puts a ramp on it so it slides on to your pocket smoothly. It works much better. The clip on the Smini is better then the S1 in this regard though so they are going in the right direction.

You can see it here just above the garbage can. Take note Olight:D

2cegoy.jpg

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
After using the light some outside, I really like this lights optic, I'm probably going to keep it. I'll figure something out as far as the clip goes, the H502W's clip almost works, but it's too long and I really don't want to do any grinding.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
In one of the threads on the s1, someone fabricated a ramp for that "bump" on the clip that adhered to the light. He was offering to send them out for anyone who wanted one.

TheIntruder

Newly Enlightened
Yep, your not the only one. Olight's poorly designed clips and their weird(uncommon) bezel up orientation have kept me from buying Olights for years. They need to look at Nitecore's clips of similar design and add a ramp to the right angled part of the clip as well as offer the option for the preferred(by most imo) bezel down orientation. Or, just go with a screw on bezel down clip like Zebralight, Eagletac, exc.

I'm not a fan of the bezel up orientation either, and the way the clip encroaches on the head, so the new S30R III is disappointing to me.

It basically appears to be an S2R without TIR.

The original S30R/II had its own form, and wasn't just a scaled up version of its smaller siblings with those issues, but the III is.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a fan of the bezel up orientation either, and the way the clip encroaches on the head, so the new S30R III is disappointing to me.

It basically appears to be an S2R without TIR.

The original S30R/II had its own form, and wasn't just a scaled up version of its smaller siblings with those issues, but the III is.

Yep, its kind of sad really. I cant even count how many people I have heard complain about Olights clips. Between friends, people on here, and other internet sites, it must be thousands. Many of those people, like myself, dont buy Olights due to this too. I bet Olight would sell twice as many lights if they would just fix their clips. A simple ramp like Nitecore uses and another grove cut into the flashlight body to allow for deep pocket carry in the bezel down orientation would fix the problem and allow all users including bezel down users(the majority by far imo) to enjoy their lights. It seems like a simple fix to me:shrug:

DMS1970

Enlightened
I don't completely disagree, but my Olight S1s are the perfect size for a pocket, so I only use the clip when I put it on my hat as a headlamp. I find the light to be short and stubby, and don't care for it clipped on at all. My S2, that is an entirely different matter...