Drain time on unused alkalines

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If I keep my 2-AA mini maglite sitting in the drawer with the batteries in it, (assuming little to no use) how often should I replace them? I figured you guys would know!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

and save those "expired" ones for your brinkmann led light
confused.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW....
I've been using alkalines for some 30 years now, and have almost never seen them "self-discharge" very much at all. (no matter which brand used). -Not the shelf life of Lithium longevity, but nonetheless Very reliable for what they cost, IMO..
Also, manufacturers and most engineers claim that Unused alkalines should lose only about 10-15% of their juice over a 4-5yr. span.
rolleyes.gif

I maintain a huge battery stock for all my gizmos and gadgets
smile.gif
, and that's what I've found...
mr.batteryholic
grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
We go through a lot of batteries at work and they do loose some of their power after just a year. I would suggest leaving the batteries out of the light in case they would leak. But if you do leave them in I would dump them out and check them and reinstall them every 6 months or so. I would replace them between a year and two years depening on how frugal or if you can use them in a differnt application.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing that should be considered is temperature those batteries are stored in.
High temperatures are really bad and extremely low temps aren't the greatest either.
-Hey, maybe next time, we'll do one like this in David W's brand new category
grin.gif