Looking for old style refrigator flashlight with LED head

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
TLR/DNR: Looking for a alkaline powered 2 D cell flashlight with a side magnet

I am looking for an updated version of the classic "d" cell flashlight that is updated to at least use LED's. The LED's don't have to be so bright that I will burn the paint off the walls in the house.

Prefer 2 D cell batteries, side mount magnet that won't run dry after a few hrs of use.

The tail cap magnet style sucks for my use, they are too small, and some of the controls are overly complex for emergency use. I figure the area will be dark and it would be too easy to bump off the refrigerator.

I rather have a simple on / off, tho a focus ring adjustment like maglite would be acceptable.

I have tried the string attached small LED to a good hook magnet but looking for something more old school in looks. Right now I am using a smash led flashlight and while it works I am looking for something much better.

I rather not go the super glue - a few rare earth magnets to a 2 cell maglight . . . but that is the direction I am heading right now.

Oh - Primary use of the flashlight will be to hold crap attached to the refrig and to collect dust. On the rare case it is used, going to be used for short periods of time while hunting down a real flashlight or fetching the mail at night.

Budget - 50 dollars

In an ideal world batteries won't leak, but sense that happens all the time it would be nice if the flashlight tail cap and head unit could be removed so I can ram a 1x1 chunk of wood to remove the old batteries.

Reality check based on a few google searches indicates that there is nothing in the D/C cell size. So dropping down to AA might be my only option – or – bump the max price up a bit that I am willing to pay.

Lexel

Enlightened

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two pieces of advice:

1) get a cheap LED light that takes 2x AA batteries. Buy some decent rechargeable batteries like Eneloops or Duracells. They will never leak, and you will never have to ram a piece of wood through your light in order to remove corroded cells. You can get the batteries and charger for under $20.00. Another $10.00-$20.00 at any hardware store will buy you a 2xAA light that is far brighter and longer-lasting than the 2xD-cells you remember. Some of them will have magnets on them so you can stick them on the ice-box.

2) upgrade your ice-box so that you do not have to purchase those giant cubes of ice in order to keep it cool. A lot of modern refrigerators run on electricity, or propane if you don't have electricity.

It's a whole new world out there for technology!

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
There are nice flashlights with 18650 Lithium batteries and USB charging port

the cells don't leak and wont discharge

If its just a backup light just glue some magnets on it and stick to a budget light like this
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_411562.html?wid=21
battery
http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_187046.html

20 bucks for light and rechargeable battery, no need to buy a new charger for lithium batteries

on medium this light will operate around 5 hours on high 2 hours

Last time I checked my refrigerator does not sport a USB plug, but then it is only 4 weeks old so there should be a newer version out there. No near by electric outlets. No go on rechargeable batteries, they can't take the shelf life that I am looking for. I was hoping for a turn key solution versus the glue magnets on. I have a few real nice custom flashlights and more than a handful of EDC style hardware.

I am willing to spend the money for something that looks like the older style ones just with more better guts.

There is a lot to be said in a good way on the form factor of those old flashlights; everyone from a 5 year old to a 90 year old understands how to use it in a few seconds.

The power output on the conversion kit is a bit lower than I hoped; but that is a plan "b" for build. I might go that route until I find a bit higher end h/w that performs as good as good as it looks.

For small hardware http://www.batteryjunction.com/terralux-tmm-3.html That would work in a pinch to convert one of the smaller flashlights that I have. But I rather have something with a bit more heft to it than my Fenix PD25 flashlight.

I run a mix of AAA/AA / RC123 /18650 and more than a few of the rechargeable ones. However; those are often used as EDC support, not that useful to stick the shopping list to the refrig.

I did order the assemble your own version; tho I keep thinking custom build or a nice way to add magnets to a maglite 2d without it looking like a 2 year old did the work.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
about the same solution as what I had posted above
http://www.batteryjunction.com/terralux-tmm-3.html

Looking for larger flashlight that took "D" cells.

Well I don't recall that you said that originally in that it is exactly what you wanted.

These are the modern versions of those old lights I am afraid but they are also so much better in every way that it is worth considering something you may not have before.

Poppy

Flashaholic
How about a directionally floody 3 AA light with a strong magnet for about $4.00 ?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...h-Walmart-Brand-3-AA-COB-worklight&highlight=

-6OyNCRHi5I3-ruoMU4FpYbjBP-CNYQcz51jTjSsFm82gD8gWNj6mzfDjqsUeF6nwtG1_i7BYVENDKVCUqj9oqxpWU2oeQcHMUCntEy_ZGbowMeQPNXPmRjn9EbsKBI1yWBDoHWd6MHhDlmbD4uqTf5JYHD4WKFsK5uUjxrTVvEYCpa-UuzM2V4c8cbCeWwYaPbI12vtCbQeqPAwEVcpx474M-3UJDAC9dQFQzIn2gXc4yDOLaekhzHtSFbKk_XDK8NRLCbbD3_I0b3yCg0RMxc8zkRC-d_Ouv_McTgAzIRZ4oo6giE1oGOtSfjrQSPC1WIyEW2fugFQckxV5dQimgcNDxlNU-FHp7D5t-MKYWNSstChTd8a09sxguhij7o_Vm0kcAkIX04WTi01Ywt0yASmIx3ln1MT6MCaz51IVfVNSkqqesucuGnzOk-CQh7dE315-Df_KQvSTbNvh1x60kiVjkh91o8VQad8hbYMEb6HvTqG6t4Qaal_popeSSh7qNnRjaF9VilQUyXx79eeSKK9AqO7f_414zbwK9sr2RVGhPJD3oY0re-Y4Lxkq6yx2T3goK1I-HpvzxRXwaEOhF6A1506k3Ea04EjLJQk1MOaVFeF=w578-h770-no

kMJMHG0emI0IpBmY_y_RFhFWY3thrwDphrm6wxF88GQI25BMt2mW21aTvM8VKTFA8bbbQrfcnradIM1jh2RHLVfuMbmt_l1sgs6loFTGqsHouXqD1XRfwXaLz_UgS8_gZ7Kxko7geLsKsh8cAUaTzDGMpFeXh7lJY2n5EhNXMD4V3h-HC_63j1gV8Bbpq48bLpe7m4JaNLw5ZNtJ0f1wHKuC9ebaqNnu_JGYy80i-18OgZ0iTOlwAz2dkceokCnkcaTVbvOeu2fVClUHWU8a9knNA46_-psav0pme9m04E_UACPD7kUpwlDsndW-vFi0dU8wJhR3dVzr0lPuwgXuD6Z_cyv4fUSuuDjAo0ZNPZeIQ0C0j0NojJ2rIV3PMKAlATZq-lTlRcv0Jz7qAgvg_adPPHvpXA_4Ql1XdY7vs77c1zc3gi0MVuorrHkdAWdI512RCxLc12dK-uoy31XenhLhBcfha1-_3shzYgiE7-r4iucDDF6HixLWAkK-n8BAWZaTsz9wL3FcR9JDM8joeHiXnBDcj52YpQ8qBbOb9TbEx-b6hqXOx9gueD6RsnP1B7vrUYMpA4bpCXd4hNwpAHBVTw0ob2f23h5MLIkpxMAAUs1y=w578-h770-no

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
Well I don't recall that you said that originally in that it is exactly what you wanted.

These are the modern versions of those old lights I am afraid but they are also so much better in every way that it is worth considering something you may not have before.

I ordered 3 refrig flashlights, a I should know better "AA" one; but it was so cheap I figured it will be disposable. The funny thing is; that cheap flashlight will out perform the old one by 10x.

I ordered 2 of the cheaper style non-LED versions with LED replacements bulbs. I think I might cut part one of them and salvage the magnet and see if I can't attach it to a Black Friday Mag 2d flashlight with a bit of JB weld. It will be a hatchet job for sure; but well worth play with...I might have to see if I can augment the magnets with a few small(er) rare earth ones on the underside of the hardware. I am a bit surprised that they are not selling new and improved versions of that old time flashlight.

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the Pak-Lite? It comes with a glow in the dark head. You just stick a flat magnet on it which they sell on their website. http://amzn.to/2epHmQB

I had seen those in the past; has a real nice setup for what it offers. Part of my "I want d-cells" version of the flashlight is that I got a bunch of them. also it is a bit too easy to lose the flashlight.

For long term power outages I have a few D cell large lanterns. Hard to beat what they can offer for large amount of light over a big area. For EDC I must have 30 flashlights from AAA ones to to include more than a few advanced rechargeable setups.

I was looking for the old style form factor because everyone who visits knows that is where there is always a flashlight.

If I had a bit of a larger budget I would try to get someone to at least convert a 2D cell maglite tube to attach some rare earth magnets without it looking like a 5 year old did it for their science class.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not stick some magnets on the fridge and see if the maglites stick to them?

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009KN7R4/?tag=cpf0b6-20 <-- D CELLS !!

+

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MP8MGY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

old school looks that will run 30 lumens for 200hours for $13.29. check the batteries and operations once a month and you are good to go.

I picked up the Rayovac light and a Rayovac led conversion kit. The new hardware kicks butt off the old setup that I use to have, and the conversion was well worth the few dollars I spent. Quite happy with what it does considering the price I paid.

It would have been nice to find something with a bit better switch, a slightly better throw...not that I was unwilling to spend a lot more money; I just could not find something that fit that niche.