PhotonLight Freedom Micro re-build (?)

Hal05154

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everyone,

I'm new, and joyed this forum because I have a project I am working on, and am hoping to get the electronics advise I need.

I bought Photonlight Freedom Micro for two reason. Size, and the 3 minute timer mode you can access on it. I then made a DYI fiber optic cable that I connected to the LED light using a length of clear tubing. While the end of my DIY cable glowed nicely, it did not project the light into a second fiber nearby. So, I have to some up with a second solution.

for logistical reasons, I cannot mount the Freedom Micro right next to the fiber optic line I want to light up. What I need is to mount the Freedom Micro about 6 inches from the fiber.

I want it to look like this, but I can't run the fiber like this, I need to move the bulb.

eqt6.jpg

My question, CAN I remove the LED bulb from the body of the Freedom Micro, extend its connection somehow the 6 inches I need, and mount the light next to fiber I wan to make glow?

CAN I do this? What kind of connector wiring would I need? How would I solder the end? Should I use shrink wrap to create a cable?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Hal

Lexel

Enlightened
Its easy to get the LED outside the body

just use 2 thin wires as extension and dont swap polarity of the LED

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
"the 3 minute timer mode you can access on it"

Remind me, what's this?

I use my Photon Freedoms just about every day (read with a red one at night so as not to wake up spouse). I don't remember that mode.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be just about as easy to get of the dollar fauxtons like Battery Junction gives away with each $20 purchase. Take the LED out, attach the wires at whatever length you need, and connect to a regular CR123 cell instead of using a button cell. Gives you complete flexibility to arrange as you like and a much longer run time before the voltage drops to the point that the LED won't light any more.
Save the Photon Micro for the jobs it was intended to do.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be just about as easy to get of the dollar fauxtons like Battery Junction gives away with each $20 purchase. Take the LED out, attach the wires at whatever length you need, and connect to a regular CR123 cell instead of using a button cell. Gives you complete flexibility to arrange as you like and a much longer run time before the voltage drops to the point that the LED won't light any more.
Save the Photon Micro for the jobs it was intended to do.
Except it appears he requires the 3 minute timer.
So atleast to test his idea; extending the LED leads with 6-8in of wire sounds reasonable. At such a low current the losses for any reasonable wire should not be an issue.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hal05154

Newly Enlightened
"the 3 minute timer mode you can access on it"

Remind me, what's this?

I use my Photon Freedoms just about every day (read with a red one at night so as not to wake up spouse). I don't remember that mode.

From Mr. Avery at Photolight:

Here is the instructions for the 3-minute automatic shut-off mode on the X-Light Micro & Freedom Micro. This is basically a modified version of the procedure used to enter & exit the morse code / signaling mode (which is described in the instructions). The key for activating the 3-minute shut-off is to continue holding the button down in step #2 below a bit longer than normal until the light gives a quick flash.
1) Enter Morse Code / Signaling mode (press & release button several times rapidly until light no longer stays on when button is released)
2) Once in that mode, press and hold the button past the light going off until the LED's flash once.
3) You're now in auto off, after about 3 minutes the intensity ramps down to off in about 10 seconds from full brightness.

To turn off the auto off mode, enter morse code mode and then press and hold until the light ---goes off (release before the flash).

I hope this helps!

Hal

Hal05154

Newly Enlightened
Except it appears he requires the 3 minute timer.
So atleast to test his idea; extending the LED leads with 6-8in of wire sounds reasonable. At such a low current the losses for any reasonable wire should not be an issue.

Yes, exactly. I need the timer. It's the whole reason I bought this light. The small size was an unexpected plus.

Lexel

Enlightened
Any copper wire with more than 0.05mm2 would be fine, can be from an old USB cable or so

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any copper wire with more than 0.05mm2 would be fine, can be from an old USB cable or so
To put it in barbarian (at least that's how the metric folks look at us) terms, 20 to 24 gauge wire would be ideal. Anything larger would work, but gets too big for the connections you want to make. So, USB cable, ethernet cable, flexible phone wiring, anything like that.