Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: I -Thought- I Wanted a Klarus G20, But...

Default I -Thought- I Wanted a Klarus G20, But...

After 12 hours of sifting through the hundreds of flashlights available I'd finally narrowed it down to the Klarus G20 and AceBeam EC50. But a poor review on Youtube knocked off the EC50.

But then I came across this review... I mean what a sorry performer next to the G30. The Cree XHP70 is supposed to be high CRI. WTH?

Non-negotiable:
    - Rechargeable
    - Less than 6000 K
    - High quality build

I thought I wanted a 26650 battery (5000mAh), but then I realized that the 16650's 3500mAh is per cell. But the Klarus G30 is just too fat. And why is it brighter and more natural than the G20?

I don't mind a larger head, but not a larger body. And looks like 16650 is worth considering, especially if it comes in LiPo or LiFePO.

Any recommendations?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: I -Thought- I Wanted a Klarus G20, But...

I thought the ec50 II , the newer version is a great light, its had good reviews on here and comes in a 5k neutral option.

Olight is launching 2 new lights in a few days that should fit what you want

Welcome to CPF Quantum. The 3,000 Lumens has pretty much been de-bunked, in various forums. Probably the G30 appears brighter, because of the tighter output from its larger and deeper reflector. Don't forget also the G30 runs a neutral/warm M2-GT. The G20 does have its upsides though. Unlike most videos I've seen, the tint is neutral tending to cool, but no hint of blue. very pleasant to my eyes. A really nice low, and good runtimes on the lower outputs, and it also sits nicely in a pocket, like the EC50II. Mine get used on a regular basis ( G20, that is ), and while its not perfect ( what is ? ), it makes a pretty good fist of most everything I ask of it. My biggest gripe with it, is the slightly protruding side switch. Its very easy to inadvertantly switch on in a pocket. Probably the two switches are overkill on a light like this, but generally speaking, its a good thing. For night walks, the 650 lumen high, for 4 1/2 hours, is ideal.

Thanks all.

@zs&tas this is the video that really put me off the AceBeam EC50.

@Lexel I'm a bit dubious of the quality in OLight, from what I've gathered around. But maybe it's worth waiting a couple days to see.

@harro, it's not so much the lumens (although the above review was very disappointing for a Cree XHP70), but also the quality of light in comparison with the G30. I thought an MT-G2 wasn't supposed to be nearly as bright as an XHP70 (technically it's only half as bright) yet it's far brighter in the review, and the XHP70 is supposed to have a high CRI but it is awful next to the G30. The G30's color rendering is wonderful (though it is 20% less efficient), and I am not a 'tint snob' but accurate color is damned important.

So this drove me from the 26650 battery only, to multiple 18650's, but 3 is just too fat, and no flashlight seems to come with just 2, much less a rechargeable one. With all the disarray and confusion I considered flight to safety with some Klarus, but that only takes me back to the G20.

One option is just take the G20, and put a NW lamp in it, depending on how much that costs.

I'm old, and I can't believe that this is the Twenty-First Century and there is still virtually no innovation in flashlights. Where are on-light displays that show charge percentage, light level, time, ambient temperature, compass, etc? Where is the plug-in panel that lets you charge your phone off the light or plug a small USB reading light in? Where are the side-by-side 18650 lights, and 4 18650 side-by-side lights, and two 26650 side-by-side lights? Where are the 2" reflectors, and 200 hour capable lights? Where is the glow-in-the-dark trim, or tritium surrounds? We had that 70 years ago in our watches! All the manufacturers are trodding the same old well-worn paths and can not understand why their sales are slow.
    Last edited by Quantum`; 11-01-2016 at 10:58 AM.

I'm old, and I can't believe that this is the Twenty-First Century and there is still virtually no innovation in flashlights. Where are on-light displays that show charge percentage, light level, time, ambient temperature, compass, etc? Where is the plug-in panel that lets you charge your phone off the light or plug a small USB reading light in? Where are the side-by-side 18650 lights, and 4 18650 side-by-side lights, and two 26650 side-by-side lights? Where are the 2" reflectors, and 200 hour capable lights? Where is the glow-in-the-dark trim, or tritium surrounds? We had that 70 years ago in our watches! All the manufacturers are trodding the same old well-worn paths and can not understand why their sales are slow.[/QUOTE]

Some very interesting points there. A bit like, ' why has a car still got four wheels? '. I guess they dont want to trot out all the goodies straight up.

I rather have the flashlight stay as a purest tool. You click the button, and light comes out. You click the button again, and light shuts off. Perhaps you have a couple brightness levels for different applications, but that's about it. Added features will just make for a bulkier, less streamlined light, and add to its cost. There is plenty of innovation with regards to how bright these flashlights are becoming though. If you were to tell me 3 years ago that I could carry 10,000 lumens in the size of a soda can I thought you'd be crazy. Better quality light and higher CRI will steadily improve as well as LED technology improves and/or we find different methods of producing light.

XHP-70 isn't HI CRI by default. There are HI CRI options for the XHP-70, but I don't think any manufacturer runs the HI CRI variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexel View Post
    Olight is launching 2 new lights in a few days that should fit what you want
    R50 Pro Seeker/LE ?

Quote Originally Posted by jedi_master View Post
    R50 Pro Seeker/LE ?
    It's in the ballpark, but I wonder why its max battery life is only 50 hours? Maybe it does put out close to what they say for lumens. 50 is its lowest lumens, whereas it's 15 for the G20 @150 hours. I can't find any reviews on youtube, likely because it's new. I wish Klarus were more honest with their numbers; they're Red Chinese and it's worrisome, but then so is OLight, so is OLight lieing?

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum` View Post
    It's in the ballpark, but I wonder why its max battery life is only 50 hours? Maybe it does put out close to what they say for lumens. 50 is its lowest lumens, whereas it's 15 for the G20 @150 hours. I can't find any reviews on youtube, likely because it's new. I wish Klarus were more honest with their numbers; they're Red Chinese and it's worrisome, but then so is OLight, so is OLight lieing?
    15l vs 60l is the reason for the battery life. The beauty of this forum is that people will find out what the true numbers are. Right? I am a throw snob so these floody high lumen lights don't interest me. Waiting for Olight and Klarus to come up with XHP35 HI lights to compete with Acebeam EC60.

Flashaholic*

Thanks all.

Thats one light out of thousands made. Looks like a ec50 I not a II to. I trust acebeams quality it seems well tried and trusted now by many members.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-(XHP70-26650)

My purpose is not...

My goal is to help at an accident scene, or work on the car on the road. Do you want the zombies to see you from 3 miles away?!

There's also the Klarus RS30. Assuming it's bought without batteries and you buy two 3600mWh that's balancing size for capacity. Although it's not the most efficient nor neutral LED, that could (probably) be changed. Has anyone replaced an LED?
    Last edited by Quantum`; 11-02-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Enlightened

I bought the G20 and it's OK overall. If I hadn't got it at a really cheap price I'd be sorely disappointed. It should be a good light for emergency use and up close flood lighting but that side button hair trigger is going to be a pain. Lay it on it's side and if it rolls it turns on. Yes you can lock it out, but I wouldn't trust it in a pocket or the console of my truck.

This is my second Klarus (add to my RS20) and I'm not overly impressed by either.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 11-02-2016 at 12:15 PM.

My purpose is not...

It was CPF that got me hooked on XKCD, if you'll excuse the acronims.
    Good spot.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Thanks all.

@Lexel I'm a bit dubious of the quality in OLight, from what I've gathered around. But maybe it's worth waiting a couple days to see.

@harro, it's not so much the lumens (although the above review was very disappointing for a Cree XHP70), but also the quality of light in comparison with the G30. I thought an MT-G2 wasn't supposed to be nearly as bright as an XHP70 (technically it's only half as bright) yet it's far brighter in the review, and the XHP70 is supposed to have a high CRI but it is awful next to the G30. The G30's color rendering is wonderful (though it is 20% less efficient), and I am not a 'tint snob' but accurate color is damned important.

So this drove me from the 26650 battery only, to multiple 18650's, but 3 is just too fat, and no flashlight seems to come with just 2, much less a rechargeable one. With all the disarray and confusion I considered flight to safety with some Klarus, but that only takes me back to the G20.

One option is just take the G20, and put a NW lamp in it, depending on how much that costs.

I'm old, and I can't believe that this is the Twenty-First Century and there is still virtually no innovation in flashlights. Where are on-light displays that show charge percentage, light level, time, ambient temperature, compass, etc? Where is the plug-in panel that lets you charge your phone off the light or plug a small USB reading light in? Where are the side-by-side 18650 lights, and 4 18650 side-by-side lights, and two 26650 side-by-side lights? Where are the 2" reflectors, and 200 hour capable lights? Where is the glow-in-the-dark trim, or tritium surrounds? We had that 70 years ago in our watches! All the manufacturers are trodding the same old well-worn paths and can not understand why their sales are slow.
    Have you seen Imalent offerings? Lots of bells and whistles including digital compass, spotlight and seperate floodlights, remote control, information readout etc.

I'm pretty much liking the RS30 for these reasons:

- Huge battery capacity for the size. (if you buy the light only and separate 3800mAh batteries -- it's mostly battery)
    - Independent circuits for the two lights. One fails, you have the other. In use, it automatically alternates between the lights in lower modes.
    - It actually measures close to the claimed 2,400 lumens.
    - It is fairly floody.
    - The switch isn't prone to accidents. (Many thanks Diesel Pro)
    - That magnetic charger is fantastic. Leave it connected in the car holster, and whip it off in a hurry without damage.

Cons:
    - No battery springs in the tailpiece. And the tailpiece conductive springs get dirty and impact high mode.
    - With a Cree XM-L2-U2 it's not natural colored light.
    - Weird shape for a flashlight.

I can put dielectric grease on all the springs, to make the connections gas-tight and deter oxidization. And I should be able to replace those emitters and get the same output. Can't do anything about the weird shape though. :j
    Last edited by Quantum`; 11-02-2016 at 12:59 PM.

As far as batteries, how about UltraFires?

Actual testing on TOF ('that other forum') shows that these protected 18650's come close to their ratings:
    - Keeppower 18650 3500mAh (Black) 2015
    - Keeppower 18650 3600mAh (Black) 2015
    - AW 18650 3400mAh (Black) 2016
    - Evva 18650 3500mAh (Black)
    ... Essentially they're all a Panasonic or Sanyo battery, with a protective circuit added.

And just stay away from any cells that look like this, or this.
    (Goddamn lieing Red Chinese...)

Last edited by Quantum`; 11-02-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Ok, bought the RS30 (and one for my son), with flat-top Orbtronic protected 3500mAh batteries. I'll see how bad the CRI is, then maybe order the LEDs to reflow on.

So almost 7,000mAh, as compared with almost 5,000 with the G20. I haven't been able to find a better brightness/efficiency/capacity/quality solution. And I don't care how it looks.

Flashaholic*

Good buy. Ive been looking at one, for the size the runtimes and options are cool . and the charging system too .
    Enjoy !

Quote Originally Posted by blindedbythenight View Post
    Have you seen Imalent offerings? Lots of bells and whistles including digital compass, spotlight and seperate floodlights, remote control, information readout etc.
    Somehow I'd missed your post BTN. Yes Imalent is innovating for sure, and they use the OLED I'd imagined. Only things are they seem to concentrate on spotlights, and their only multi-battery offerings are 4ea AA or 4ea 18650. And they don't seem waterproof.
    Last edited by Quantum`; 11-03-2016 at 12:12 PM.

When do the newest lights come out?