HDS Tactary or Rotical?

mico

Newly Enlightened
I can see benefits to both designs, difficult to choose between them.

I don't need quick access to flashing modes, but I like the double click to constant hi on the tac model, without having to turn the dial.

As both models have hold for hi, I think I might be changing my mind and preferring the simplicity of the rotary (rather than the simplicity of the tactical...)

My main question is, being a fan of momentary on, can either model do momentary low?

(Secondary questions:

What happens when turning the tac dial up to hi and you hit strobe? Do you get constant strobe? Isn't it a pain trying not to hit strobe?

Do you think the hi cri 200 lumen nichia with a flood reflector, would be under powered for outdoor use? Perhaps it's not as floody as I imagine - it's just a floody reflector and not a diffuse glass.

Does the flush button tail stand okay?

Why is such and expensive torch packaged in that nasty plastic wrapper?
)

ven

Flashaholic
Rotary or clicky is all personal preference , you could get 1/2 saying one is best,1/2 the other. The rotary is perfection imo, the feel and ability to dial in what you want before clicking on. Can't comment on the clicky version as don't own. 200lm is a nice amount , even in standard reflector form it floods with some decent reach . So maybe try out first, might be good out of the box for you. If your going to use with lots of light pollution, then 200lm can seem under powered imo. Night adapted eyes, no pollution then it is surprising just how much 200lm can light up!

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your going to use with lots of light pollution, then 200lm can seem under powered imo. Night adapted eyes, no pollution then it is surprising just how much 200lm can light up!

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with this.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here,I think many of those who do not prefer the Rotary might not really have tried one and do not fully understand how it works?

The Rotary control is just but 1 of the presets that you can program on the light.
It is not always a Rotary controlled light unless you want it that way but when one of the presets is the rotary then you open up a way of control that no ther light can really match.

I have several other lights with a Rotary "Dimmer" but none that work like the HDS at all.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you're using it with a pistol in the other hand, I see no benefit to the Tactical Rotary over the standard Rotary. I've pressed too long a few times when trying to turn my Clicky off from B, which caused it to remain on B instead of turning off. This relegated it to standard use cases.

The 200 Nichia has enough spill that I see little reason to eliminate basically all throw and go with the flood lens for an EDC...do everything light.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I have both. The rotary control is truly awesome, but I prefer the clicky for purely personal reasons. When using the Rotary, I continuously adjust the brightness and never quite seem able to just let it be. With the clickies, I turn on one of the four presets closest to what I need, and just leave it there. Strictly a mental / OCD thing I guess. Either type is great and will serve you well.

ven

Flashaholic
Thats a good point mr smith, I also find that with the rotary(or that UI like the v11r infinite control ring) i seem never happy 1st off. As our eyes always adapt to the dark(and light) , what can appear bright one use, the next appear dim or visa versa. So its never far from a little tweak of the rotary to get to the desired output. For a happy medium on the 200lm hi cri, guessing from where the rotary position is(not looking into the actual output) I would say around the 120/140lm output is perfect for most my uses. Bright enough to cover most tasks, not too bright where the hot spot can distract.........that is me though, not a low lumen junkie type.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I have both. The rotary control is truly awesome, but I prefer the clicky for purely personal reasons. When using the Rotary, I continuously adjust the brightness and never quite seem able to just let it be. With the clickies, I turn on one of the four presets closest to what I need, and just leave it there. Strictly a mental / OCD thing I guess. Either type is great and will serve you well.

Does the light allow you to choose what the presets are configured at?

mico

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's responses!

The 200 Nichia has enough spill that I see little reason to eliminate basically all throw and go with the flood lens for an EDC...do everything light.
This is a good point. Thanks.

So, Rotary plus alternate shade bezel ring plus 18650 tube... I may have to sell half a dozen zebralights to cover it!

Minimoog

Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's responses!

This is a good point. Thanks.

So, Rotary plus alternate shade bezel ring plus 18650 tube... I may have to sell half a dozen zebralights to cover it!

Never sell, only acquire!