Klarus        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best throwing 2xAA flashlight?

Default Best throwing 2xAA flashlight?

Im only using AA batteries for my flashlights/headlamps and now im looking for the best throwing 2xAA flashlight out there.

Please help me out

Best regards
    Jakob

Flashaholic CanadianSurvivalCompany's Avatar

Default Re: Best throwing 2xAA flashlight?

I've been on this road a while. Looking into army tek, but the fenix e12 on 14500s did the trick for me (compared to thrunite t10 and olight s1a)

Best way I've been able to see it is tir optics are the way to go to keep it pocket-able.
    Providing objective views on quality gear and tools
    Join us for our adventures!
    Instagram - Youtube - Facebook

Im looking for a flashlight that uses 2 AA batteries not 1 and is a great thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakelol View Post
    Im looking for a flashlight that uses 2 AA batteries not 1 and is a great thrower.
    My mistake, was reading from my phone. I would still stick to my previous answer however, armytek or another company using tir optics. thrower and aa aren't general associated with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSurvivalCompany View Post
    My mistake, was reading from my phone. I would still stick to my previous answer however, armytek or another company using tir optics. thrower and aa aren't general associated with each other.
    No problem im not super good at all flashlight terms but im learning as i go along. TIR lenses sounds good, maybe i will go with a singel AA flashlight if its a great thrower and if I cant find a 2xAA flashlight that throws like a beast

The Armytek partner a1/a2 verison 2 or 3 have been options ive looked at. The 2aa size ive found a little big for pocket size, but is doable. There was an option from astrolux as well I believe, I dont remember the model of it though. It has a larger reflector size that does give it a bit of an upper hand, but also looks a little large for the pocket.

Im not gonna have it in my pocket so size is not a problem for me so bring it as long as its a 2aa flashlight with a crazy good throw

Nitecore MT21A has an impressive throw for an AA light.

I know nothing about it.
    http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mh2a
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    The MT21A is a better thrower, even though it only has 260 lumens compared to the 600 of the MH2A, the beam distance of the MT is 200m, the MH is 135m, the beam intensity of the MT is 10,000cd and the MH only has 4,500cd.

I have the MT21A and the throw is indeed impressive for an AA light.

Their is one but will cost you ton of money

If you went with 4xAA a whole new world opens up..like over 450m throw... ThruNite TN4A HI
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Streamlights are in general pretty good throwers and pretty inexpensive too.

So is the Nitecore MT21A the one with the longest throw of the ones we have spoken of?

I'll agree that the Nitecore MT21A has the longest throw compared to all the other 2xAA lights I own. The reflector depth is slightly greater than the Fenix LD20 I have, all the others I have the reflector is much shallower resulting in a floodier light. The newer Fenix LD22 is rated at 120 meters, MT21A is rated at 200 meters, costs less than the Fenix LD22 and MT21A has a forward clicky switch which allows you to press on the switch without fully depressing it completely to momentarily turn the light on.
    Last edited by yoyobrotha; 11-02-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    Fenix TK50,TK41,TK40,L2D,L1D,L0D,LD01,LD41,LD20,LD15,LD1 0,LD05,HP10,HP15|ZebraLight SC51,SC62w,SC600w,SC600Fd,SC64c LE,SC700d,SC53Fc|EagleTac D25A,D25A2,MX25L3C,T25C2,D25LC2|Nitecore TM16,EAX,MT1A,MT2A,EZ AA,IFD2,T5s,D4|47's Mini AA,AA²,"X"AA²,Pro QPA| List of Lights

Vinh v54 sell lumintop sd4avn lumen 1150/ lux 67k and sunwayman d40avn... both use AA. Its worth to check it out. I will be getting a sunwayma d40avn. So i will write a short review when i get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newlumen View Post
    Vinh v54 sell lumintop sd4avn lumen 1150/ lux 67k and sunwayman d40avn... both use AA. Its worth to check it out. I will be getting a sunwayma d40avn. So i will write a short review when i get it.
    Do you have any numbers on how long the throw is on the two your talking about?

I probably wasnt really clear but im looking for a flashlight that is a laser so to say that rums on 2aa. I used to have a Deerlight with a aspherical lens that i really liked but it used 18650 and now I only use AA because they are so easy to get when your traveling

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    If you went with 4xAA a whole new world opens up..like over 450m throw... ThruNite TN4A HI
    +1 check out the TN4A HI. It is available in neutral white or cool white and gets great reviews. Having 4AA gives it a lot better runtime along with higher output as well. There are a number of videos on it on Youtube as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakelol View Post
    Do you have any numbers on how long the throw is on the two your talking about?
    Sorry. I am more of 18650. I just got my sunwayman d40avn. I didnt purchase specs number.. the good thing about my AA light is i can put any cheap AA battery, and the light works fine. But i am ordering eneloop.. if you want to know the throw distance, please email skylumen54@gmail.com

Defineteley the NITECORE MT21A XP-E2 and FENIX E20 XP-E2 are ones of the best if not the best from outhere.
    They throw about the same, I sold my NITECORE as it was regulated for short time then the output was dropping but was still well regulated ... while FENIX E20 hold the constant brightness all the time - its runtime was a bit shorter than MT21A runtime though -
    I liked more the FENIX construction, although a bit thicker it has a better grip and feels beefier.

Last version of INOVA X2 187 lumens is also a very good thrower - throws about 70-80% of the above 2 lights - and it's more compact being a twisty.
    I also have 2 x ARMYTEK PARTNER A2s - one with XP-G other with XP-G2 - . They throw less than 50% than the top 2xAA throwers but beam is nice - optics inside -, same the tint, anodization is top notch, and they are very compact for 2xAA format. If I would have to stay with one 2xAA flashlight and sell the others one of the PARTNERs will definetely be my choice.

Hi guys, I know Malkoff has a 2AA MDC light. How are those generally as far as throw? Lumens not that high, around 120 if I remember correctly

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
    Hi guys, I know Malkoff has a 2AA MDC light. How are those generally as far as throw? Lumens not that high, around 120 if I remember correctly
    I have the 2AA MDC. Settings are 3, 25 and 250 lumens. While AA doesn't give me the performance of 16650 or 18650 powered lights, I consider my MDC 2AA to be an excellent all around light for many tasks indoors and out.

Flashaholic*

See if you can find a quark turbo on the markedplace. They are discontinued. Got two of them, but not selling any of them It got a larger reflector than the average 2xaa lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues View Post
    I have the 2AA MDC. Settings are 3, 25 and 250 lumens. While AA doesn't give me the performance of 16650 or 18650 powered lights, I consider my MDC 2AA to be an excellent all around light for many tasks indoors and out.
    And you'd be surprised how bright 250 Malkoff Lumens are in the real world, the beam shape throws very well, with enough spill to see where you're treading.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    And you'd be surprised how bright 250 Malkoff Lumens are in the real world, the beam shape throws very well, with enough spill to see where you're treading.
    P
    Well, someone else might be surprised...

Lol, ok thanks for the info. I am getting schooled on Malkoff lights just recently. I must have been thinking of the 1AA light with lower lumen rating. The 1AA and 2AA look great to me, to have a solid AA light. I was looking for a surefire E2L AA outdoorsman but they are selling for big $$$ the ones I have seen.

I think its between the Nitecore MT21A and actually the 4xAA ThruNite TN4A HI after all. Thrunite uses twice as many AA but it also throws more then twice as long on Turbo but only rund for about 1 hour, about 2.5 hours on high.

Which one would you get and why?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    +2

This has always been one of my complaints about 4xAA. I would like one that is floody. But they all tend to be throwers, probably because the larger diameter allows for a fairly large reflector (especially compared to 1xAA or 2xAA). So if throw is what you are looking for, 4xAA is a GREAT idea. Not to mention that a 4xAA will also throw better because of the greater brightness (vs 2xAA) alone - 4xAA is roughly on a par with 1x18650. Also, with four batteries, runtime will be better (at similar brightness level). And since four batteries are doing the work instead of two, alkaline battery performance will be better (should you ever HAVE to use them).
    Last edited by StorminMatt; 11-03-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Anyone that has any good aspherical 2xAA flashlights?
    My Deerlight had a aspherical lens and it was the best thrower i have ever seen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast