Convoy L6 tail cap issues when using 18650 batteries

Stre-tch

Newly Enlightened
Hello - All.

New to the forum. Found the forum when looking for a new flashlight for work.

Read through a bunch of pages about how good a bang for your buck the Convoy l6 flashlight is.

I ordered one through Amazon and got it on Monday - (My 26650 batteries are still not here).

I loaded it up with 2 18650's and the sleeves that hold them centered and I tried it out.

Problem - the flashlight will usually only pulse once per click of the tail cap then not at all

For the past 3 days I haven't been able to get it to stay on longer than a pulse other than this morning for ~ 1hr (didn't run it continuous but I did test it multiple times). I didn't change anything on it from last night but it started working.

I have looked at the tail cap and the wiring as far as I can tell is good. The batteries are fully charged. I did play with screwing the cap in and out a little and that seemed also to affect the light (if I left it clicked in the on position).

Any idea what the issue is?

I should have the 26650 batteries tomorrow so maybe the bigger batteries might help.

Thanks

Lexel

Enlightened
Let the tail open and short circiut the batteries to the flashlight tail to see if the problem within the tailswitch

Streamer

Enlightened
If you have the accessory tactical ring installed make sure it is threaded down tightly. It can prevent the tailcap from making contact.

maukka

Enlightened
Also make sure you remove the other ring if you install the tactical ring. Even though in that case the light will probably not even pulse once.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have the accessory tactical ring installed make sure it is threaded down tightly. It can prevent the tailcap from making contact.

Also make sure you remove the other ring if you install the tactical ring. Even though in that case the light will probably not even pulse once.

YEP! This is absolutely the first thing that should be checked on a Convoy L6 with ANY issue. That ring has tricked even the smartest of men.

host image online

If you have double checked to make sure that ring is tightened down the next thing I would check is to see if the tail cap retaining ring and the driver board retaining ring are threaded down tight.

If that doesn't do it it could be a contact issue with the batteries, but if your sleeve is snug around the 18650 cells and they make good contact between the 2 of them they should work just fine. The only other thing I can think of is if your cells are protected and they cant hold up under a 5 amp load. That could give you a short blip of light the way you describe as well.