SC600W mkII vs SC600W mkIII HI

JS_IN_KY

Newly Enlightened
I know there are lots of threads on the SC600W mkIII HI and I've read through quite a few of them but my question specially is this: I have a SC600W mkII, my first SC600 series light. I love the light and the floody beam with a decent amount of throw but we live on 20 acres and sometimes I could use just a bit more throw but I don't want to lose too much flood. From reading here it sounds like the SC600W mkIII HI might be what I'm looking for. Will I notice a big difference in the throw out of it if I was doing a direct comparison to my mkII version?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have posted to the wrong forum, it should have been LED Flashlights. Report your post and have the Mods move it.

I didn't put the two side by side, because really for a 20 Acres you need something bigger. If you don't want too big try a Fenix TK-35, or get the best deal in throwers the Convoy L6, I think you will find it has enough flood and if not just turn on the zebralight, or get a Zebralight headlamp to use with it (it is a little bigger than you Zebralight though :) ). Some good YouTube videos should give you an idea on what area to look at. The Nitecore EC4SW has really impressed me, not a thrower, but a good light for a little more output than your Zebralight. The Z HI is a very nice light, but were not talking enough of a difference here for working in a 20 acre space (I don't you don't yet want to light it all at once).

I'm sure others will have lots of suggestions.

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened
...sometimes I could use just a bit more throw but I don't want to lose too much flood...

If you need just a bit more throw, then it will most likely work fine for you. However, there are other throwers that are cheaper that throw way further. Most throwers have a bit of spill that serves most needs, even the "pencil beam" throwers.
I just recently got a Hi but have only briefly compared it to my Mk II model. First impression are that it definitely throws better, but not as good as other throwers I have (that are larger mind you...). If you are looking to replace your MK II, then perhaps this would work well for you, but at a cost of course.

herektir

Newly Enlightened
I currently live on 18 acres and have found that nothing less than a rated throw of 450 to 500 meters will suffice to reach from the house to the edge of the horse field roughly 225 yards away and still reasonably see brown horses. I use a xintd v5 xpg2 and it still isnt good enough to see to the far corner of the hay field about 350 to 400 yards away but it does quite well for its price. Selfbuilts review estimates about 13k candela of throw for the sc600 hi so maybe 100 yards of effective throw.