Penlight for a med school student

HighLight

Enlightened
Hi all, My daughter is in Med School and I saw this really crappy incandescent penlight in her kit. Because there was a penlight in her kit I'm assuming she will have a use for it and I would like to surprise with a high end penlight as a gift. I'm eyeing the new Preon P2. I'm wondering if there are any MD's or other health care professionals here who can advise me if I'm on the right track here. I know the medical field can be pretty technical and I'm wondering if the Preon P2 would have the correct CRI for medical use and if the power would be too high. There may be other considerations that I may not even be aware of! or am I overthinking all of this and I should just go ahead and get it for her. Maybe there is a good reason for that incandescent after all. Any advice?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
BLF-348

I am not sure if this fits your use or not? It's a single level high CRI(90+) AA powered penlight made of stainless steel.

W2tI0ts.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiM-KfzHPc4

Last edited:

peahi

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations on your daughter getting into Medical School! Major Kudos!

That penlight is probably good enough! Whatever she uses has a high probability of being lost and of course being exposed to all kinds of nasty things. It will be exposed to cleaning wipes non-stop too. If she loses it, there's always flashlights all over the place in the hospital and she can buy a cheap replacement penlight in the bookstore as needed. You can buy her a pack of them at any ems/nursing website...that would actually be a cheap purchase. Your energies are better spent on selecting a small EDC light for walking around school and nighttime walks to and from the library, classes, clinicals, etc. And of course for natural disasters and miscellaneous power outages, of course we need lights!

I've seen opthamology and some surgical folks have headlamps or "a good light" in their bag for examinations or doing work at the bedside. The "good lights" I've seen are an LED of some kind, lol. I saw a coast adjustable beam flashlight once that a resident left behind...he came back for it. I'll stick to my own lights thank you! Most of the headlamps i've seen are REI stuff.

So yeah, maybe a good EDC light is better at this time...let the discussions begin. I'm thinking cheap, easy to use for a non light person, simple battery choice, and a low, low mode to look at pupils when needed. This light has to live in a lab coat pocket and/or backpack/messenger bag.

Side note: I've been carry my HDS rotary more and more for work in the ICU. Its so glorious! I can click on/off as needed and rotate to select intensity for all the different tasks...and good for walk to car/EDC duties after/before work. My only regret is it is clunky to have in my scrubs pant or shirt pocket. If HDS made a cheap AAA or AA rotary, I would buy a bunch and call it a day.

My initial thought is an S1 Baton would check off an awful lot of boxes (except battery type...but she could "survive" on a box of primaries you send her).

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Lumintop IYP365. It is a two AAA penlight with three modes. It starts in medium, then goes to low, then high. The low is very dim (3 lumens) and would be good for pupil evaluation. It is available with a Nichia 219B emitter, which has a CRI of 90+, about as high as one can go with an LED currently. It is rated at IPX8, which means it will survive being dunked under 2 meters of water without problems. That will make it easy to clean and sanitize, always a consideration in the medical field.

It is available from Amazon for under $25 USD. Just make sure you order the Nichea 219B version. The Cree version does not have near the CRI that the Nichea version does.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side note: I've been carry my HDS rotary more and more for work in the ICU. Its so glorious! I can click on/off as needed and rotate to select intensity for all the different tasks...and good for walk to car/EDC duties after/before work. My only regret is it is clunky to have in my scrubs pant or shirt pocket. If HDS made a cheap AAA or AA rotary, I would buy a bunch and call it a day.

Ive been carrying an HDS Rotary (non-CRI version) for many years now and I only recently realized how bad it is for color rendition especially of red, flesh colored mucosa and tissue. this became obvious when I started buying lights with NIchia LEDs espec 219b or c versions.

peahi

Newly Enlightened
You are killing my pocketbook. You are right! Adding custom rotary is gonna hurt the wallet, but its a good pain. In all seriousness though, when i'm at work i just need instant light when i need it.

Last week I was helping a co worker place an extra IV...we could barely make out a vein with the daylight from the window and everyday overhead lights. When I tried to be helpful with my HDS, it just obliterated the picture.... I put the light away...True story.

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Lumintop IYP365. It is a two AAA penlight with three modes. It starts in medium, then goes to low, then high. The low is very dim (3 lumens) and would be good for pupil evaluation. It is available with a Nichia 219B emitter, which has a CRI of 90+, about as high as one can go with an LED currently. It is rated at IPX8, which means it will survive being dunked under 2 meters of water without problems. That will make it easy to clean and sanitize, always a consideration in the medical field.

It is available from Amazon for under $25 USD. Just make sure you order the Nichea 219B version. The Cree version does not have near the CRI that the Nichea version does.

I bought this one for my father. but it has one major downside which is it turns on on medium, not low, so user has to be careful not to blind patient doing a pupil reflex exam. one should quite easily get used to clicking one more time after on. The Thrunight Ti4, starts in Firefly, but don't offer Nichia LED.

HighLight

Enlightened
Congratulations on your daughter getting into Medical School! Major Kudos!

That penlight is probably good enough! Whatever she uses has a high probability of being lost and of course being exposed to all kinds of nasty things. It will be exposed to cleaning wipes non-stop too. If she loses it, there's always flashlights all over the place in the hospital and she can buy a cheap replacement penlight in the bookstore as needed. You can buy her a pack of them at any ems/nursing website...that would actually be a cheap purchase. Your energies are better spent on selecting a small EDC light for walking around school and nighttime walks to and from the library, classes, clinicals, etc. And of course for natural disasters and miscellaneous power outages, of course we need lights!

I've seen opthamology and some surgical folks have headlamps or "a good light" in their bag for examinations or doing work at the bedside. The "good lights" I've seen are an LED of some kind, lol. I saw a coast adjustable beam flashlight once that a resident left behind...he came back for it. I'll stick to my own lights thank you! Most of the headlamps i've seen are REI stuff.

So yeah, maybe a good EDC light is better at this time...let the discussions begin. I'm thinking cheap, easy to use for a non light person, simple battery choice, and a low, low mode to look at pupils when needed. This light has to live in a lab coat pocket and/or backpack/messenger bag.

My initial thought is an S1 Baton would check off an awful lot of boxes (except battery type...but she could "survive" on a box of primaries you send her).

Thank You! Yes I am a very proud father. Very very practical advice...just what I was looking for!

TCY

Enlightened
+1 to the IYP365. Your daughter can basically find AAA batteries everywhere, and the light itself doesn't cost you a fortune. Only drawback I can think of is that it turns on on medium instead of low. If you have the money, grab a high CRI HDS rotary and your daughter won't need to worry about buying another light for a good decade or two. It's not penlight sized though.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
How come no manufacturers make a higher end penlight? I'm talking something in the $45-$70 range... Seems like nearly all of the penlights are relatively inexpensive... I would love to have some options that have a higher build quality...

I plan to pick up a Lumintop IYP365 soon because I love the Lumintop beam profile & use of Nichia emitters... Also the UI starting in medium mode...

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
wolfgaze;[URL="tel:4993716" said:
4993716[/URL]]How come no manufacturers make a higher end penlight? I'm talking something in the $45-$70 range... Seems like nearly all of the penlights are relatively inexpensive... I would love to have some options that have a higher build quality...

I plan to pick up a Lumintop IYP365 soon because I love the Lumintop beam profile & use of Nichia emitters... Also the UI starting in medium mode...

Malkoff penlight?

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't read all the posts in here as it's late and I'm tired :tired:.
I've been practicing medicine for over twenty years and bought a 4-7s Preon 2 years ago when the CRI lights were just coming into popularity. Anyway, I found long ago that while any light is better than nothing, a light close to a true incan in tint renders skin tones, including the erythematous reddish hues much much better. This is more important than a non medical person might realize. I don't recall the exact emitter I have, but I'm sure you can find one similar in tint. Hope this helps.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Preon 1 or 2 with a dark Sucks clip is ideal. You would have to have a modder swap the emitter to a Nichia though..

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think with all pros and cons considered the lumintop is your best choice. Can't really go wrong for $25

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast