What replaces the JetBeam RRT-01?

carteriii

Newly Enlightened
For those of you who appreciate the rotary/magnetic control rings as I do, what replaces the JetBeam RRT-01? Unfortunately the RRT-01 has been discontinued (even though JetBeam still has it on their website) and JetBeam has confirmed for me that no one in the US has any inventory to sell. I did find some remaining inventory in Australia.

My criteria is that I want a small EDC with a rotary UI. I prefer infinite levels of adjustment, but 5-6 levels could also be acceptable. I prefer a ring which is easy enough to operate one-handed, using just my thumb or thumb + first finger to rotate the ring. If the JetBeam RRT-01 was still widely available, I wouldn't want or need for anything else or newer.

I was one of the early customers for an HDS Rotary (& still have it), but they haven't kept pace with the times and don't appear to have any newer models. The max output of HDS Rotary appears to still be 250 lumens rather than the 500+ of even the old RRT-01. The HDS Rotary is much stiffer than the RRT-01 so it's also not as ideal as the RRT-01 has been for me.

I am aware of the Cool Fall SPY 007 lights but would like something that doesn't break the bank and would be more reasonable to give as a gift. I did get one of the recent Olight S Minis and love it for the size, but I still like/prefer a rotary control for the ability to almost instantly dial in any brightness level with one hand.

Thanks in advance for any & all suggestions.

Streamer

Enlightened
The NitEye 10 IIRC is basically a clone of the jb. Many shun it as it was a ripoff copy of the JetBeam. I could care less about that, I love the Niteye 10 that I have.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sunnwayman V11r is like the 001 but also has a Tail Switch which I prefer them to have.
I sold my 001 when I got the V11r and mine is a NW tint and can run on 123 or aa with an adapter that I got with mine too all around great little light!

I have seen them still around I think too.

I also Love the SF TitanT1A but there are not a lot for sale these days and the tint can suck badly but this is my most used light I think as I use it every single night at home.

I also think the Rotary is still great and if you already have one try it again?

The Nitecore SRT3 is another with the ring and I am dying to try one but have not done so yet.

cyclesport

Enlightened
I like control rings a lot too. Despite continuing to acquire and use newer, smaller, 1 X 123/AA/AAA lights I have kept most of my rotary control lights like the RRT-01, Niteye 10, and V11R even though there's a slight penalty in the efficiency dept...they're still very useful lights and I've yet to find a simpler, more intuitive UI!

FWIW it appears that the China based supplier, Kaidomain still has stock on the newer 600 lumen version of JETBeam RRT-01 with XM-L2 LED.

snakyjake

Enlightened
My wish list:
Sunwayman M11/V11
Eagletac MX Series
Nitecore SRT

I won't buy a flashlight UI that makes me cycle one-way through the modes. When I want to go down, I don't want to be forced up. I want my carry light to function like my home's dimmer switch.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you who appreciate the rotary/magnetic control rings as I do, what replaces the JetBeam RRT-01? Unfortunately the RRT-01 has been discontinued (even though JetBeam still has it on their website) and JetBeam has confirmed for me that no one in the US has any inventory to sell. I did find some remaining inventory in Australia.

My criteria is that I want a small EDC with a rotary UI. I prefer infinite levels of adjustment, but 5-6 levels could also be acceptable. I prefer a ring which is easy enough to operate one-handed, using just my thumb or thumb + first finger to rotate the ring. If the JetBeam RRT-01 was still widely available, I wouldn't want or need for anything else or newer.

I was one of the early customers for an HDS Rotary (& still have it), but they haven't kept pace with the times and don't appear to have any newer models. The max output of HDS Rotary appears to still be 250 lumens rather than the 500+ of even the old RRT-01. The HDS Rotary is much stiffer than the RRT-01 so it's also not as ideal as the RRT-01 has been for me.

I am aware of the Cool Fall SPY 007 lights but would like something that doesn't break the bank and would be more reasonable to give as a gift. I did get one of the recent Olight S Minis and love it for the size, but I still like/prefer a rotary control for the ability to almost instantly dial in any brightness level with one hand.

Thanks in advance for any & all suggestions.

Going gear seems to have one left:

http://goinggear.com/jetbeam-rrt01-cree-xm-l2-led-1-x-cr123-flashlight-rrt-01.html

carteriii

Newly Enlightened

Lighteous

Enlightened
My thoughts echo those of the OP, carteriii. I've carried an RRT01 for years and it has endured daily use. Small single-cell lights are a passion of mine and I have many. Despite having an abundant collection, no light has come close fitting my needs as an RRT01. I have other magnetic rotary control lights, including a Jetbeam RRT-0, Sunwayman V11R, Nitecore SRT3 and an HDS Rotary. What sets the RRT01 apart for me, aside from its smaller profile, is the fact that there is no tail clicky switch. The fact that with the RRT01 you can turn the control ring and instantly, and silently, have the slightest amount of light, light to fill the room, or many levels between the extremes, and all without having to first click a tail switch. A tail switch may not seem loud, but in the still of the night with the Mrs. sleeping, it can be enough to awaken her. And that is never a good thing. I wish I had purchased a few RRT01's to keep in reserve, but I felt that magnetic control ring lights would become more popular leading to several different models to choose from by any number of high-end light manufacturers. I regret it even more now that the control ring on my RRT01 has begun to stiffen-up and doesn't turn as smoothly. Maybe there will be a suitable new model to take its place in the future, but until then I'm going to use the one I have until it fails.