How do you reflow this universal star?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://m.fasttech.com/products/1133803

1133803-2.jpg

Most pads have three separate insulated contacts. You solder paste, then heat gun the bottom.

These universal stars have no instructions. How do we connect the led? . Google youtube only show standard three contact base reflow.

Traced with ohm meter. . The round plus and minus, seems to be battery hookups. . The square plus minus for led. . Center for heatsinks. . However my Cree xpl contacts are on bottom of led. . Are we supposed to thermal epoxy the led star down and find contacts on side of led to solder to a jumper wire? This would be a quite inferior thermal path. But otherwise you would short the plus and minus. More importantly, it would make an optic or reflector impossible.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or,Get some copper flashing off eBay, cut two small stripes, solder positive an negative to LED, apply thermal epoxy to copper strips near center. Solder your led contacts to plus minus, solder neutral center without contact of led plus minus.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Those stars are for Seoul P4, SSK and similar contact design LED's. The center heat conductor pad is larger than a XPL base is. Not sure how you would insulate the leads and still have the thermal conductive portion do its job? You could take a 8mm diameter XPG MCPCB and epoxy it down as an adapter? However you seem to have a plan and would like to see what you come up with. Good luck.

Last edited:

Lexel

Enlightened
Basically this pad is compleetly not fitting for your XPL led, buy one with TDP for good cooling of the LED

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically this pad is compleetly not fitting for your XPL led, buy one with TDP for good cooling of the LED

Yeah probably best to use the three I have as controllers. Or replenish my tidly wink set. Could not resist 3 for $2. I should, stick with a copper base.

But isn't copper always copper. . Why are the nocitogons considered better? . Do they contain krypton? . Some other secret metal? Copper is pretty formative in the area of heat and electric conduction. . What is the TDP? . Thermal dissipation property?

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is for luxeons and their clones.
350 ma stock and 700 if you add the other 7135.
these are availible with xp footprint and others.