Surefire/ Malkoff questions

TA_ls1

Enlightened
So I finally decided to get my first Surefire with the goal of putting in the m361n low med high drop in. I got a 6p and now am confused. After reading about the drop in, I had the impression that you change modes by clicking through then. However, the only way to get the light to stay on is twisting the tail. It doesn't click, just stay on momentarily by holding the tail switch. So what will happen if I get the drop in? How will that work?

The fact that it doesn't click is not good and makes no sense to me. So the only way to get the light to stay on is twist the tail? If so I'm going to have to return it. Also, when I remove the tailcap, the spring mechanism is wobbly and shaky. Is this normal for the 6p?

I want a bullet proof light that is operated by a tail clicky, has at least a low and high or low med high, and takes an 18650 battery. I would like neutral tint too but doesn't absolutely have to. It still seems like a Malkoff light or Surefire with Malkoff drop in is the way to go, but what do you all recommend if this 6p won't click or work for me?

arKmm

Enlightened
Alternatively, you could just get a Malkoff M61 MD2 with high/low switch ;)

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Ok great thanks for the link and video. Now I can get m361n drop in and the McClicky switch and have a great light with low med high and in neutral. It seems like it will end up around the same price as the md2 with the high low switch. I like that the md2 can tail stand, but I like that I can get a neutral drop in for the 6p.

For those who've had both, which do you prefer and which is more reliable?

ven

Flashaholic
Not really anything to go wrong, McClicky's are reliable and cheap to replace if it does fail. Both share McClickies so even steven there. The malkoff has a thicker body, but unless your daily routine involves your flashlight being run over 10 times a day...............would say the 6p is robust enough. IMO cant go wrong with either...........Both have to be in the top handful of the most reliable/robust flashlights in the world!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that the md2 can tail stand, but I like that I can get a neutral drop in for the 6p.

Contact Mr Malkoff by email and he'll swap the M61 drop-in for the M361N if that's what you prefer, that's what I did when I bought my MD2 with the High/Low ring. If I recall correctly he charged me an extra $5 - 10.

If you drop a 6P bezel down onto a hard surface then you are likely to dent the head (been there, done that), the Malkoff is a stronger design and less likely to dent.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have roughly an equal number of 6P (most bored for 18650s) and MD2 lights with High/Low rings. I've upgraded all but one of my C & P series lights with McClicky switches. MD2s can be used with neutral or warm drop-ins, and even the M361N.

I greatly prefer the head rotation for mode change over clicking through unwanted outputs to reach that right one. Because of this, all my 6Ps (and 9Ps) have single mode Malkoff engines. A few Malkoffs have Triad tail caps, so two of my 6Ps have Malkoff tailcaps to allow them to tail stand.

Last edited:

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the MD2 with a high low ring. The M361 uses "on time" to switch modes which I am not a fan of, "off time" makes more sense to me.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you explain how this works? I've never really understood the explanation on the Malkoff website.
Sure, I'll set up a situation that may help me explain. Let's say we have 2 lights. One uses "on time" to switch modes and the other used "off time" to switch. Both of these lights turn on in low mode and progress to high.

If I'm walking down a trail with my light in low mode and I hear something in the distance the "off time" light can be switched off for a half second and when turned back on will be in the medium mode.

In the same situation the "on time" light will be switched off for a half second and come on in low again. It will requires the light to be on for a half second to change modes.

I hope this explanation makes sense and better explains why I'm not a fan of "on time" mode switching.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Nice explanation mk2, i too get a little frustrated with the m361n due to this. Only chance to set you mode is right away when switching on. L/M/H , i am at M and want H i have to cycle L/M/ H and click. Although my uses are none critical, it does kind of not sit right for me. The flip side of course is being on M(just an example) and want low, you get it each time which many like............pros/cons i guess. This drop in is ideal for home type uses, for important life/death then it would not be an ideal UI imo.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Thanks for all the useful information guys. So based on this, it sounds like I would also want off time for switching modes. Memory mode would be even better. Now if I want the m361n head, there is no way to do that without having to use on time and having the cycle starting from low every time I want to switch modes. Meaning if I want to go from med to high I need to start over at low then med then high.

Does this mean if I want off time in a md2, I cannot get it in neutral if I don't want to deal with on time mode switching? Would that be my best option then? The one with the high low ring? Any other ways to get a tank of a light like this in neutral with multi modes that can tail stand and take 18650 or 2x cr123a if needed?

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
With the M361 drop-in you will be able to manipulate what mode you want the light to come on by how many times you tap after the light has been turned off. That would be your mode memory.:twothumbs

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Ok, sounds like the md2 high low ring is the way to go then. The site says the runtime on high 325 lumens on 2 cr123a batteries is 1.5 hours. What about on an 18650?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Unlike most makers, the 1.5 hours is steady then a gradual decline after that.

Most either begin a decline very soon until reaching 10% of the rated output or run strong for stated time then flicker a few times and "bye bye lumens, hello darkness"

Others can comment on the 18650.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
So I finally decided to get my first Surefire with the goal of putting in the m361n low med high drop in. I got a 6p and now am confused. After reading about the drop in, I had the impression that you change modes by clicking through then. However, the only way to get the light to stay on is twisting the tail. It doesn't click, just stay on momentarily by holding the tail switch. So what will happen if I get the drop in? How will that work?

The fact that it doesn't click is not good and makes no sense to me. So the only way to get the light to stay on is twist the tail? If so I'm going to have to return it. Also, when I remove the tailcap, the spring mechanism is wobbly and shaky. Is this normal for the 6p?

I want a bullet proof light that is operated by a tail clicky, has at least a low and high or low med high, and takes an 18650 battery. I would like neutral tint too but doesn't absolutely have to. It still seems like a Malkoff light or Surefire with Malkoff drop in is the way to go, but what do you all recommend if this 6p won't click or work for me?

Yea know the SF twisty is really really really reliable and honesty it is not so bad to operate though never used a multi mode malkoff beyond a Hi/Lo ring. Just something to consider however as others probably said you can buy clicky tail cap. You can run 16650 in a 6p incase that question should come up. I probably should have read this thread before posting but mobile.

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Sure, I'll set up a situation that may help me explain. Let's say we have 2 lights. One uses "on time" to switch modes and the other used "off time" to switch. Both of these lights turn on in low mode and progress to high.

If I'm walking down a trail with my light in low mode and I hear something in the distance the "off time" light can be switched off for a half second and when turned back on will be in the medium mode.

In the same situation the "on time" light will be switched off for a half second and come on in low again. It will requires the light to be on for a half second to change modes.

I hope this explanation makes sense and better explains why I'm not a fan of "on time" mode switching.

Thanks for the answer mk. It seems that the 361 is not the drop in that I am looking for.