Arc AAA mod options

bhds

Enlightened
What are my options as far as modding my arc aaa? I really like the light but that blue tint is starting to drive me crazy. I searched through the archives and so far the only option I can find is LED mods As Small As Possibles mod and the recent mod using the 8mm led. Can someone list the options both DIY or contacting someone else.

Thanks,
bhds

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bhds said:
What are my options as far as modding my arc aaa? I really like the light but that blue tint is starting to drive me crazy. I searched through the archives and so far the only option I can find is LED mods As Small As Possibles mod and the recent mod using the 8mm led. Can someone list the options both DIY or contacting someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the 8mm mod. It was supposed to be a cheap mod but ended up a little expensive because of the covnerter I used. The beam tint is nearly perfect cool daylight white without blueish and brownish mixture as stock Arc-AAA. But you may find it a little bluish bacause of the 8000 degree color temprature.

If you like a warmer tint, you may consider replacing the led with 5mm white from the same company ISP.

Their 5mm white led (8000mcd) is producing a very even white tint with 20 degree viewing angle and naturally it can throw a little farther than stock AAA.

ARC-AAA-P_and_5mm-White-ISP_50cm.jpg

Left is stock Arc-AAA-P and right is a new AAA head with 5mm white led from ISP. Taken at 50cm distance. Notice virtually no side spill but bigger and tighter hotspot.

If you put this 5mm and 8mm together, 5mm will look like quite greenish, though.

I wish to have one of those great mods by LmASAP someday.

-- DJP

bhds

Enlightened
Interesting DJP. I might have to try the 5mm white led. Did you have to do any modifying other than replacing the led? Also would it be possible to run it using a micro converter or would that be overdriving the led too much?

Thanks,
bhds

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bhds said:
Interesting DJP. I might have to try the 5mm white led. Did you have to do any modifying other than replacing the led? Also would it be possible to run it using a micro converter or would that be overdriving the led too much?

Thanks,
bhds

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the simplest mod, just replace the led only. Actually I used another ARC-AAA board from Don.

Using Micro Converter for this led would be a too much overdrive and over-kill. The datasheet of this led says max If=30mA but we know the Arc-AAA board will drive a lot more than that. But 150mA from MC will provably kill the led.

If you have an MC, I suggest to use a Luxeon or 8mm.

-- DJP