Zebralight: Eco Series Flashlight and Headlamp

jak

Enlightened
Zebralight is coming out with an Eco Series Flashlight and Headlamp... here are some of the details so far.

• Starting as low as $40
  • 5 modes/levels
  • Cree XP-L2
  • Cool White
  • Floody beam with TIR optics
  • CR123, AA, and 18650 variants
  • Black, hard anodizing

Headlamp Models

• H3 (CR123) - 500 lumens, 1 lumen
  • H5 (AA)
  • H6 (18650)

Flashlight Models

• F3 (CR123)
  • F5 (AA)
  • F6 (18650)

More details being added...

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's cool to see Zebralight will be trying TIR optics and nice to see that they are working on new products, too.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is intriguing because its Zebra doing a $40 light. But its only 5 modes, 1-500 lm, so no moonlight. At that power level it probably doesn't need PID, so I'm pretty sure that's out as well. Floody TIR. And its 65 CRI, 5700K XM-L2 only, so not great light. And its black ano. I mean it'll probably compete pretty well at the price point, but it just doesn't sound like a Zebra.

Yeah I'll probably still buy one. Geez...

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is intriguing because its Zebra doing a $40 light. But its only 5 modes, 1-500 lm, so no moonlight. At that power level it probably doesn't need PID, so I'm pretty sure that's out as well. Floody TIR. And its 65 CRI, 5700K XM-L2 only, so not great light. And its black ano. I mean it'll probably compete pretty well at the price point, but it just doesn't sound like a Zebra.

Yeah I'll probably still buy one. Geez...
I feel like it's not really a Zebralight, too. I can see cutting certain things (like c/d, Hi, Plus, PID, programming) but I think the w model, moonlight, and their signature UI really make them. If they made it with just those two tints, the standard 6 modes without being programmable, and a max of 500 lumens for efficiency and no PID (maybe a timed step down if needed for smaller lights) that could be a hell of a budget Zebra .

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking for a headlight to gift.
Don't know if the Fenix HL15 can use the Energizer L92 {or stockpiled EA92}
Need neutral, or at worst a 5000K cool-white.

I could see 300 lumens for a 1xAA, 400 lumens for 1xcr123A, 500 lumens for 1x18650.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like it's not really a Zebralight, too. I can see cutting certain things (like c/d, Hi, Plus, PID, programming) but I think the w model, moonlight, and their signature UI really make them. If they made it with just those two tints, the standard 6 modes without being programmable, and a max of 500 lumens for efficiency and no PID (maybe a timed step down if needed for smaller lights) that could be a hell of a budget Zebra .

Contact them with your requests. If enough of us do that, they might listen.

I am excited that they finally use TIR optics -- something they should have done with their floody lights a long time ago.

TCY

Enlightened
ZL is finally stepping out to take some of the lower end market shares. It's kinda funny that I asked them about the thickness on their anodizing and their reply is ~50um, and that black dyed anodizing we see on Chinese big brand flashlights are generally ~15um, and 12 hours later I see ZL is developing their own budget line.

As someone who loves ZL for all its "comparative advantages", I won't be buying one of these eco lights for myself, but with the low cost (and simpler UI) I could see myself buy a bunch of these to gift around, as long as they are still ZL quality. I wonder if these are also fully potted or not?

TCY

Enlightened
Speadsheet update. They now use XP-L2.

Hmmmmmmmmmm might need to try out one of these.:fail:

jak

Enlightened
I could see 300 lumens for a 1xAA, 400 lumens for 1xcr123A, 500 lumens for 1x18650.
The spreadsheet lists 500 for the CR123. I'm curious about AA. As for 18650, I bet it would be brighter than 500. If not, it would probably have a stellar runtime.

I'm slightly not thrilled about black. I like their greenish shade (and I'm not referring to beam color). I'm looking forward to what the design will look like. I'm sure I'll order some.

I hope this isn't one of those things that come and go, like the T-series tail-clicky lights never made.

roger-roger

Enlightened
Great news. Here's hoping they step up to the plate with AA/CR123A lights in a competitively small form factor as whats being introduced lately.

I've been seriously tempted by the competition in this category but will wait and see, as I think ZL will stick with specifications and UI more to my liking.

stephenk

Enlightened
Good to see Zebralight diversifying into the not too expensive market. But, cool white? No thanks. Plenty of neutral and high-CRI budget options available now.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Zebralight is my favourite but honestly... I just wish they put more consideration into the head band setup for the headlamps. I find their headbands are VERY uncomfortable after having on for an extended period of time. Long sweaty night runs are painful. It leaves marks on my forehead and actually just hurts pretty bad after a while. There are other cheap low quality alternatives out there that I find to be far more comfortable. Hope they are listening. I own several of their lights, but I wont buy another headlamp until they change it.

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to see Zebralight diversifying into the not too expensive market. But, cool white? No thanks. Plenty of neutral and high-CRI budget options available now.

The spreadsheet was updated sometime this afternoon and there's now an H3w on the sheet - 75 CRI, 4500K. If they're doing one style in both cool and warm (actually neutral if you ask me), I'm sure they'll do them all. Its really very early in this "product announcement" from Zebra and there's no telling what we'll actually see released. Its fun to watch and speculate though.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
When they say "5 modes", could Zebralight incorporate a step down, so their packaging looks good.
The cr123A lamp:
ModeA: 500 lumens, step down to 250 after 30 seconds {90 minutes+}
ModeB: 100 lumens {4.5 hours+}
ModeC: 40 lumens {24 hours?}
ModeD: 8 lumens {72 hours?}
ModeE: 1 lumen {20 days+?}

tetradog

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight is my favourite but honestly... I just wish they put more consideration into the head band setup for the headlamps. I find their headbands are VERY uncomfortable after having on for an extended period of time. Long sweaty night runs are painful. It leaves marks on my forehead and actually just hurts pretty bad after a while. There are other cheap low quality alternatives out there that I find to be far more comfortable. Hope they are listening. I own several of their lights, but I wont buy another headlamp until they change it.

EsthetiX, curious if you use a top strap on the headband?