• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

R50 Pro/R50 Pro LE Discussion

Olightworld

Enlightened
The R50 PRO Seeker is a high-output, rechargeable side-switch LED flashlight that utilizes Olights signature magnetic charging system. The R50 Pro holds a Cree XHP70 LED with four light emitting cores to deliver a maximum output of 3200 lumens which delivers over three times the output of a high performance flashlight using a Cree XM-L2 LED. The included 4500mAh lithium rechargeable battery provides unprecedented power and runtimes for a light of this size. Similar to the original R50 Seeker, the light uses a translucent side switch and chamfered edges to achieve a more premium look and feel. The R50 Pro is the largest and most powerful light in Olight history to encompass our proprietary magnetic charging system that our fans have come to love so much. Simply attach the circular base of the magnetic charging cable to the flashlights tail cap and plug the USB port to any convenient power source such as a wall plug or laptop. The R50 PRO is 5mm shorter in length and 700 lumens brighter than the standard R50 Seeker to make this the ultimate all around flashlight for home, travel, and the great outdoors.

The R50 PRO LE Kit (Law Enforcement) can also be charged through its dedicated R Dock for fast charging which can be installed in a patrol vehicle or attached to a wall indoors. Along with an emergency light function, the R50 PRO LE is an ideal illumination tool kit to be used for firefighters, law enforcement protection, and emergencies at home.

Both the R50 Pro and R50 Pro LE are currently available. Check them out for specs and comparisons!

R50 Pro - http://www.olightstore.com/led-flashlights/safety-and-self-defense/olight-r50-pro-seeker

R50 Pro LE - http://www.olightstore.com/led-flashlights/safety-and-self-defense/olight-r50-pro-seeker-le

Features:

R50 Pro:

l Utilizes Cree XHP70 cool white LED; light output ranges from 50 to 3200 lumens
l Orange peel reflector paired with a slightly concave, coated lens to create a balanced beam
l Low power/lockout indicator under the side switch that glows red when the battery is running low or being hit under lockout mode
l Chamfered design above the side switch leaving more room for the thumb to make it easier and more comfortable for easy operation
l Easy and convenient operation: when the light is off, press and hold the side switch to access the low light mode, double click to activate turbo, and triple click to access the strobe mode
l Rechargeable through the magnetic charging cable provided with a charging current of 1A

R50 Pro LE:

l Utilizes Cree XHP70 cool white LED; light output ranges from 50 to 3200 lumens
l Orange peel reflector paired with a slightly concave, coated lens to create a balanced beam
l Low power/lockout indicator under the side switch that glows red when the battery is running low or being hit under lockout mode
l Chamfered design above the side switch leaving more room for the thumb to make it easier and more comfortable for easy operation
l Easy and convenient operation: when the light is off, press and hold the side switch to access the low light mode, double click to activate turbo, and triple click to access the strobe mode
l Built-in 3A fast charging circuit board to work with the R Dock. It can be charged up to 80% of full capacity within 1.5 hours
l Emergency use. When the R Dock is suddenly powered off, it can immediately turn on the flashlight under the low mode through infrared communication
l Convenient installation. With the installation kit provided, it can easily be mounted and charged up in a vehicle or attached to a wall indoors

hXrfpTj.jpg
3NvlpDY.jpg
j1GXwp1.jpg
x604b8R.jpg
Rjlcvj5.jpg
nhwxdjn.jpg
U3FTYXv.jpg
V9kTtcc.jpg
21fI9bT.jpg
n4SkX7V.jpg
Tm8TS6t.jpg
hVePxUz.jpg

Olightworld

Enlightened
We would love to hear your thoughts and comments on the R50 Pro. Lets have a conversation. Thanks guys!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
We would love to hear your thoughts and comments on the R50 Pro. Lets have a conversation. Thanks guys!
My thoughts:

I have been thinking very hard many thoughts for a long time about the R50 Pro.

Here goes:

I don't have one yet; it is on my "Soon" list.

It is not needed immediately, because another manufacturer released a similar product a few months ago, and hurriedly I purchased a modified version that puts forth 3,100 lumens from its single XHP70/single 26650.

If my favorite mod professional person can not make the R50 Pro put forth significantly more lumens from the factory R50 Pro, I will purchase this factory version item from the friendly folks at Going Gear.

If he can, I will purchase this item from him.

I will purchase the version that charges magnetically; I do not need the dock, because I charge my very low capacity/ultra high discharge IMR cells outside of the flashlight, in my external VC4 charger.

This light features a single electronic side switch that I prefer: One switch, electronic, controls on/off and all other functions. No need for any rear mechanical switch to power on/off the light.

Last edited:

RocketTomato

Enlightened
Is the magnetic charging cable available separately if the Docking station is purchased?

Will the R50 Pro tail cap fit on the original R50? If so, will the original R50 with the R50 pro tail cap work with the magnetic charging cable for the R50?

Olightworld

Enlightened
Fair enough. I really appreciate your honest and in depth explanation. While our XHP70 doesn't necessarily have a neutral white beam, it has a more "yellowish" tint to my eye than the standard R50 Seeker. This is just the nature of the XHP50 compared to the XHP70. I would like to know if they can be modded as well and what is the projected performance from that. Keep us up to date! Thank you as always

My thoughts:

I have been thinking very hard many thoughts for a long time about the R50 Pro.

Here goes:

I don't have one yet; it is on my "Soon" list.

It is not needed immediately, because another manufacturer released a similar product a few months ago, and hurriedly I purchased a modified version that puts forth 3,100 lumens from its single XHP70/single 26650.

If my favorite mod professional person can not make the R50 Pro put forth significantly more lumens from the factory R50 Pro, I will purchase this factory version item from the friendly folks at Going Gear.

If he can, I will purchase this item from him.

I will purchase the version that charges magnetically; I do not need the dock, because I charge my very low capacity/ultra high discharge IMR cells outside of the flashlight, in my external VC4 charger.

This light features a single electronic side switch that I prefer: One switch, electronic, controls on/off and all other functions. No need for any rear mechanical switch to power on/off the light.

Olightworld

Enlightened
So the original R50 will work the with R50 Pro tailcap but it doesnt charge right. We will have the magnetic charging cable available separately very soon (most likely next week) as well as the R Dock separately as well.

Is the magnetic charging cable available separately if the Docking station is purchased?

Will the R50 Pro tail cap fit on the original R50? If so, will the original R50 with the R50 pro tail cap work with the magnetic charging cable for the R50?

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Not feeling any love for this light as of now. I think it's just the plain old design of 50 or more years ago.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to get one with the docking station but a reviewer reported the trickle charge is way too high. Is a fix in the works?

I was also hoping Olight is working on lowering the parasitic drain which is much higher than the regular R50 and both Acebeams (EC50 and EC60).

Last edited:

royjohnson77

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference between the R50 Pro /LE than the regular R50 ?

Why should I get the R50 over the R50 Pro /LE?
or
Why should I get the R50 Pro /LE over the R50?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the difference between the R50 Pro /LE than the regular R50 ?

Why should I get the R50 over the R50 Pro /LE?
or
Why should I get the R50 Pro /LE over the R50?
R50 Pro /LE has XHP70 emitter. Please see: https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight/r50-pro-seeker.html Please scroll down a little bit and click on "Additional Information"

R50 has XHP50 emitter. https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight/r50-seeker.html Please scroll down a little bit and click on "Additional Information"

royjohnson77

Newly Enlightened
I can read the specs but

can I see the difference between the XHP70 emitter VS the XHP50. I want to know the difference by sight. Is it different by the color of the tint, is it more flooder or is it the beam more narrower?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
297 meters beam distance R50

250 meters beam distance for the R50 Pro.

The R50 with the XHP50 will have longer, narrower beam with less total lumens beam.

The R50 Pro with the XHP70 will have shorter, wider beam with more total lumens.

XHP70 is a larger die emitter, therefore, less beam distance.

The smaller die emitter will yield more beam distance.

Your choice: More lumens, or more throw? I fall asleep every night pondering this question. :)

royjohnson77

Newly Enlightened
That is a better explanation as not many non flashaholics know the difference between XHP50 VS XHP70.

Olight should explain it better as some consumers are deciding whether they should purchase a R50 or R50 Pro or R50 Pro LE.

There is really not much difference in terms of beam distance and probably can not see the difference with a naked eye : 297 m vs 250 m.

I am greedy and I like more lumens and probably would select the R50 Pro.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely love my R50vn (5000k) and I really want the pro version too. I just wish it was offered in natural white. But I understand why some companies choose not to.

Olightworld

Enlightened
Honestly the fact that it has magnetic charging and has 700 more lumens is enough for someone to see if that justifies the upcharge. As you said, the distance change is minimal but the brightness to the naked eye is dramatically different. The Pro has the overall superior beam.

That is a better explanation as not many non flashaholics know the difference between XHP50 VS XHP70.

Olight should explain it better as some consumers are deciding whether they should purchase a R50 or R50 Pro or R50 Pro LE.

There is really not much difference in terms of beam distance and probably can not see the difference with a naked eye : 297 m vs 250 m.

I am greedy and I like more lumens and probably would select the R50 Pro.

thenewguy81

Newly Enlightened
I bought the original R50 seeker. I love the flashlight and the beam profile. Problem I have is that the power button is difficult to locate quickly in the dark. I find myself fumbling around trying to spin the flashilght around in my hand to locate the "low profile" button. I was interested in the PRO LE model thinking that they would have a tail cap button (very common for tactical flashlights) or maybe a bigger/ more easily located button but its the same as the original. For this reason, I will not purchase the PRO model and would hesitate to recommend to law enforcement.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right, if any side-switch button is not backlit, its not going to be a law-enforcement light (IMHO) - or a nightstand light either. Finding the power button will take too long. Although I will say that the Mag-D with the side clicky was a law enforcement light for the longest time - and their side clicky button was fairly flat and not backlit either.

Also, the flats that are machined into the fins don't help to locate the power button since there are TWO flats - one next to the power button and one on the opposite side. In the dark, you can't tell which flat is which.

This light is more for someone who reaches for it in a lighted area to see the location of the power button first - before going out into the dark. I suspect most LE officers who use the R50 Pro with the docking station probably have some ambient light available to see the button, and also know that the light is mounted in the docking station with the button facing them already.

One possible fix is to buy a GITD plastic dome and glue it to the flat area on the fins next to the power button - this gives you a raised area and a glow effect too. You can find them on ebay.

I suspect the main reason why most manufacturers don't put a constant-on backlit LED under the power button is because the LED lifespan in real-use terms is about 10,000 - 20,000 hours which is equivalent to about 1 - 2 years of constant-on use. This would mean the manufacturers would be getting into trouble regarding warranty repairs, etc. when the LED under the power button goes dim and burns out.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the original R50 seeker. I love the flashlight and the beam profile. Problem I have is that the power button is difficult to locate quickly in the dark. I find myself fumbling around trying to spin the flashilght around in my hand to locate the "low profile" button. I was interested in the PRO LE model thinking that they would have a tail cap button (very common for tactical flashlights) or maybe a bigger/ more easily located button but its the same as the original. For this reason, I will not purchase the PRO model and would hesitate to recommend to law enforcement.

May be I am wrong, but R40 button seems to me to be much more comfortable to use. It is much more "pronounced" to find it in the darkness.