Wuben        
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: R50 Pro/R50 Pro LE Discussion

Default Re: R50 Pro/R50 Pro LE Discussion

Hello,
    i have a question: when you put the r50 in the LE charger, without connecting it to the power, you still have these problems?

thx

kees

what about an electronic timer and set for a couple of minutes every day?
    Last edited by Dutchman; 02-01-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Additional info

Unenlightened

With power not plugged into charger, nothing works, completely dead.
    On a good note, Olight contacted me and agreed to battery problem and is going to send me a new battery! I guess I will hope this solves the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdomseeder View Post
    With power not plugged into charger, nothing works, completely dead.
    On a good note, Olight contacted me and agreed to battery problem and is going to send me a new battery! I guess I will hope this solves the problem.
    I assume this is after you sent it in? Did you have to send in the complete light, light and charger, or just the battery?
    Too many lights to list in the signature three line limit

Unenlightened

At this point, I have sent nothing in. I am just waiting for the battery they said they were sending and then will see how everything works.

I am having basically the same issues with battery charging, but I have gone through 2 batteries that when left in the charging dock for over a week without using, the batteries are both dead. I thought the first battery was defective, so I purchased and tried a second one with the same results. I have 2 R50 Pros that were both modded by Vinh. I purchased the 2 R50 Pros from SkyLumen and then later purchased a charging dock directly from Olight, so I don't actually have the R50 Pro LE version that normally comes with the charging dock. I don't think Vinh's power boost mods are responsible for these charging issues. I just noticed there is a difference in the specs for the R50 Pro and the R50 Pro LE versions listed in the first post by Olight. The R50 Pro LE has some additional lines of specs, one of which is : "l Built-in 3A fast charging circuit board to work with the R Dock. It can be charged up to 80% of full capacity within 1.5 hours . "

That spec line is not included in the R50 Pro. I'm wondering if the LE edition has different circuitry which is needed to properly charge using the docking station.

But now I read that some people who purchased the R50 Pro LE version are having the same issues. Thinking that there might be a problem with the circuitry in the first R50 Pro, I inserted now a 3rd proprietary Olight battery in the other R50 Pro that I bought and have it in the dock. It will take a week or so to see if it will die as the other 2 have. What seems strange is that after the battery goes through the initial amber to green light change indicating that the battery is fully charged, (which it is according to multimeter and the fact that light works great at that time) whenever it goes dead (and I'm not sure when that actually happens exactly) the light still stays green, I have never noticed it changing to any other color.

At first I thought this could possibly be the result of the power boost mods Vinh gave the light, but now that I see others are having the same problem I am anxiously awaiting a response from Olight in this thread addressing this charging issue. Although I realize that after the mods, my 2 lights are no longer covered by Olight's Warranty, no problem there, would love a solution so I don't keep killing more expensive Olight Proprietary batteries.
    Last edited by Flash-O-Maniac; 02-04-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash-O-Maniac View Post
    I am having basically the same issues with battery charging, but I have gone through 2 batteries that when left in the charging dock for over a week without using, the batteries are both dead. I thought the first battery was defective, so I purchased and tried a second one with the same results. I have 2 R50 Pros that were both modded by Vinh. I purchased the 2 R50 Pros from SkyLumen and then later purchased a charging dock directly from Olight, so I don't actually have the R50 Pro LE version that normally comes with the charging dock. I don't think Vinh's power boost mods are responsible for these charging issues. I just noticed there is a difference in the specs for the R50 Pro and the R50 Pro LE versions listed in the first post by Olight. The R50 Pro LE has some additional lines of specs, one of which is : "l Built-in 3A fast charging circuit board to work with the R Dock. It can be charged up to 80% of full capacity within 1.5 hours . "

That spec line is not included in the R50 Pro. I'm wondering if the LE edition has different circuitry which is needed to properly charge using the docking station.

But now I read that some people who purchased the R50 Pro LE version are having the same issues. Thinking that there might be a problem with the circuitry in the first R50 Pro, I inserted now a 3rd proprietary Olight battery in the other R50 Pro that I bought and have it in the dock. It will take a week or so to see if it will die as the other 2 have. What seems strange is that after the battery goes through the initial amber to green light change indicating that the battery is fully charged, (which it is according to multimeter and the fact that light works great at that time) whenever it goes dead (and I'm not sure when that actually happens exactly) the light still stays green, I have never noticed it changing to any other color.

At first I thought this could possibly be the result of the power boost mods Vinh gave the light, but now that I see others are having the same problem I am anxiously awaiting a response from Olight in this thread addressing this charging issue. Although I realize that after the mods, my 2 lights are no longer covered by Olight's Warranty, no problem there, would love a solution so I don't keep killing more expensive Olight Proprietary batteries.

The fact that the LE edition of this light states 3 amp charging is strictly referring to the charging dock and not the light itself. The Pro and Pro LE lights are exactly the same with the charging dock being the only difference. So rest assured it's likely a charger /battery problem.

I have the same R50vnP as you and use it daily for work. It typically sits on the charging dock between calls. (plumbing hvac service tech). I haven't left it on the charger for more than a couple of hours at a time and bring it in with me at the end of the day when I get home.

I haven't had any issues yet, but am very interested in finding out what the issue is. Seems like Olights solution is giving out replacement batteries, but is that the underlying issue??? Hope we all find out.

Quote Originally Posted by gteague View Post
    since i wrote this i've done a little further troubleshooting. i have the original r50 along with this new r50 pro le. when i got the pro i charged it in the dock, tested it, tested the emergency light function, and it has just sat here by my computer for 2-3 months with the green light on the dock. it wasn't until the power went off the other night that i noticed the light didn't come on although it had tested good before.

i put the battery from my original r50 into the pro and the light worked fine, so it wasn't the flashlight. next, i took the battery from the pro and put it into the r50 because none of my chargers would handle it and thus i charged it using the micro usb in the r50. but, the light was green indicating full charge and my volt/amp meter showed all zeros indicating it was fully charged. but now the r50 wouldn't work with that battery in it. so i'm very positive the battery is the problem.

i contacted michael at going gear and he said the symptoms indicated i'd put the battery in backwards and it's possible, but, as i said, when i got the light i charged and tested it and then haven't touched it since. so i distrust the charger.

michael offered to send another battery, but by then i already had one coming from amazon and when it gets here i can run further tests. and i do have voms (multitesters), but for the life of me i couldn't figure out where to place the probes to test for voltage. oh, and michael did say he'd had no other reports of such problems and he sells dozens if not hundreds of these.

/guy
    i posted about my original battery dying a month or so ago. search for my user-id to see my troubleshooting details.

alas, the new battery i bought to replace the first one has died within 3 weeks.

the charger is a proven battery killer. i need to read back through this thread now. what is olight doing to address this problem?

/guy
    We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Flash-O-Maniac View Post

my second battery just died. i watched this second one very closely since the first one died and some folks said i killed it by inserting it backwards. which wasn't the case because i have the original r50 and i know the orientation. i bought it new about 3 weeks ago. where is olight? i'm not buying another battery and the light is useless.

/guy
    We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by gteague View Post
    my second battery just died. i watched this second one very closely since the first one died and some folks said i killed it by inserting it backwards. which wasn't the case because i have the original r50 and i know the orientation. i bought it new about 3 weeks ago. where is olight? i'm not buying another battery and the light is useless.

/guy
    Sorry to hear this. Sounds like it's not uncommon as others are sharing the same issues. Hope we find out the cause.

And there you have it. This could either be a string of defective batteries or a defective charger, and odds heavily lean towards being a defective charger.

That's why I've been sitting on this instead of contacting olight support, I didn't want to waste time addressing the symptom instead of the actual problem. Now we have a much better idea of what the problem is.

I haven't been on here long but from what I've seen, on this forum olight only participates in marketing promotions / positive responses. Does anyone know, do they have a history of responding to problems or are we wasting our time waiting for a response?

I would like to go to olight support now knowing it's the charger, but if they are not aware of the problem and / or don't have a solution, that would still be futile. It'd be nice to get some official confirmation they're prepared to address this properly.

I have a 5 star review of this product on amazon that's been getting a number of helpful votes, I may have to edit it down until this is addressed. Feels like I'm misleading consumers otherwise.

Those of you who helped diagnose this, thanks for your efforts.

Olight does normally reply to problems on here but it isn't totally predictable or consistent on when or how long it will take.
    They also seem a little understaffed as a whole so holidays and busy times puts them behind.

i have emailed michael at going gear and sent olight a private message on this forum. i'd like to hear from them before going through a warranty/return hassle. if they are the least cognizant of their public face they'll simply ship out new chargers and a new battery to everyone affected. i sent them my address and phone number.

/guy

Did read in one of the R50 Pro LE reviews on CPF, that the dock keeps charging slightly even when the battery is full. Maybe sitting on the charging dock for a longer time period, kills the battery because it will overcharge..

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Did read in one of the R50 Pro LE reviews on CPF, that the dock keeps charging slightly even when the battery is full. Maybe sitting on the charging dock for a longer time period, kills the battery because it will overcharge..
    that would be severe overcharging if it killed my second battery in under 3 weeks! i had the first battery on there 3-5 months before i realized it was dead.

i got a response from alex at going gear, but he has no info on the issue.

#olightworld
    @olightworld
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...02-Olightworld

/guy
    Last edited by gteague; 02-05-2017 at 03:38 PM.

I think you are correct and this will most likely be the cause of the problem, but how Olight will correct the problem will be interesting. It seems like people who use the light on a regular basis, daily or every second day, don't have this issue. It happens when the light is left in the dock for extended periods of time (most likely being overcharged). I'm not sure exactly how long it needs to be left in the dock without being used before the battery goes dead, I'm guessing around a week. I have an Olight S1R Baton that I keep on its magnetic docking station all the time and sometimes don't use the light for more than a week at a time and it has no issues. Olight might say that the R50 Pro shouldn't be left in the docking station for more than 2 or 3 days without being used, but that won't be an acceptable response for me. Not on a docking station that is being advertised as having an emergency feature that turns the light on in case of power failure, that suggests the light can be kept in the charger for extended periods of time.

But I agree with you Kj2, the charging slightly when battery is full and thus overcharging the battery and tripping the protection circuit is the most likely cause. And Olight engineers may not have tested the charging function for over a week without being taken off charger to have found this problem.

i totally agree. for an emergency light advertised for use by emergency agencies it's reasonable to expect that they might leave it docked for lengthy periods of time.

also, i agree that they likely didn't test near as long as it would have taken to show up this problem and it's caught them by surprise that users are finding it.

i can't use it every day as the muscles in my hand would give out trying to get it out of the dock and trying to keep it from slamming down when i'm putting it into the dock. hell, the magnetic field strength might be killing the battery and causing me brain problems in the bargain as i sit less than a foot away from it at eye level. [g]

/guy
    Last edited by gteague; 02-05-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Maybe I'm misremembering or misread it, I do recall reading a R50 Pro review here that mentioned it continuing to charge after full, but I thought that was in reference to the button charger. That was actually one of my motivators to get the LE charger instead.

But yes this was obviously designed to remain in the charger when not in use so a "don't leave it in the charger all the time" answer won't fly.

Hallo,

I send messages both to Olight US and Olight China.

Olight US answered donot leave the flashlight in the charger and Olight China (linda) wrote we especially designed the light and charger so you can leave flashlight in the charger. I am now confused

I use an ipad and know how to post both mails, send me your email adress via private and i will the msgs to you.

kees

Think Olight USA has to contact Olight China. Think Olight China doesn't fully understand what the issue is. Happens sometimes. Language can be a barrier.

Don't have the battery issue myself, because I don't leave the light on the charger. But I'm kinda curious if the issue would occur if I leave my light on the dock for a week or two..

And how exactly is this supposed to function as an emergency light if you don't leave it in the charger?

Quote Originally Posted by HughJorgan View Post
    And how exactly is this supposed to function as an emergency light if you don't leave it in the charger?
    that's the meat of the issue, indeed. and to @kj2, i had a brand new battery die between 1-3 weeks, so you're welcome to repeat the experiment. i'd hope that olight gets back to someone before that, but who knows?

also, i cannot for the life of me get consistent notifications from these forums despite dozens of emails back and forth with one of the moderators/admins who cannot understand why i'm having problems. the problem is that there are like 3 places where you have to enable notifications and the forums lose your settings within a day or two. so i apologize that i only reply when i remember to come back here and check for updates.

/guy

Unenlightened

Well, it's been a while and just wanted to report back in that I still have not received a battery replacement from Olight or heard anything more from them. Even to have a battery that works and I will keep off charger till issue is resolved would be nice. Will wait a bit longer, I guess?

Well, it's been a while and just wanted to report back in that I still have not received a battery replacement from Olight or heard anything more from them. Even to have a battery that works and I will keep off charger till issue is resolved would be nice. Will wait a bit longer, I guess?
    with my R50 Pro - I did test
    - acebeam 26650 protected (tight fit)
    - keeppower 26650 unprotected (better fit)
    both of these worked - You would not have charger to do the charging; but at least you would have a useable light.

I also found - https://www.amazon.com/Bundle-4500mA...s=olight+26650
    When/if Olight gets their S**T together - you would end up with a spare battery

nothing heard here. they're hiding under the desks. wish we had some law enforcement agency or fire department who had ordered dozens of these get on their case--they might pay attention then.

/guy

Placed my LE on the charger Wednesday evening, and with will sit there the coming days/weeks. Just checked, and the light still functions.
    Will report back every few days. Also told my Olight dealer that I'm doing this experiment, because he also want to know more about this issue.

Placed my LE on the charger Wednesday evening, and with will sit there the coming days/weeks. Just checked, and the light still functions.
    Will report back every few days. Also told my Olight dealer that I'm doing this experiment, because he also want to know more about this issue.
    i checked that the light functioned both when the power was removed and when it was taken out of the dock for about a week and then forgot about testing for about two weeks when i discovered it dead. so it would be helpful to know how many days it lasts although i guess it isn't out of the realm of possibility that removing it once a day 'resets' the overcharge. but let us know.

/guy

I have a feeling the light needs to be left in the charger without checking it for at least a week to 10 days (really not sure what the magic number is) to have it trip the overcharge protection in the proprietary battery. I think checking it every few days will not allow the problem to show itself.

Ok, so to rule that out, I will check the light end of February.

Enlightened

So, after killing 3 batteries while in the R-dock, I contacted Olight and sent my LE kit back for testing. (I had to pay to ship it back)
    I was told the light was defective (no other specific answer given) and they sent me back a new light w/battery, a new wall charger and the original charging dock.
    The new light has a higher serial number 10301158 vs 1023972.
    All seems well at this point, only time will tell. At least I have a working light again.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast