Bluish tint bulbs mute colors

tschidc0

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a Streamlight SL20 size light, rechargeable with a bright, white light. My Streamlights have Krypton bulbs which I like because they don't mute colors and they make identifying objects and color variations easier. The bluish tint LED's may have super high lumens but when they mute colors they make it very difficult to see color variations.

I'm looking for a light the same size approximately as my plastic SL20, switch on the side of the body near the head rather than on the endcap, rechargeable, but brighter than my krypton bulb.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site!!

Have you tried a Stinger? They have a dual switch (tail and side) model now.

Is it that you prefer a baton sized light for arm pit hold?

Last edited:

Lexel

Enlightened
For cree LEDs there are many neutral white from 4000-5000 K light temperature that got avpure white
color bins from 5A3 to 3D, 5D2 is a nice bin

or you can drop down to 3000 K for warm light
bin 7A3 for example

in between neutral and warm is the 6A2

3A and higher bins get bluisch color

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED-Components-and-Modules/XLamp/Data-and-Binning/ds-XPL.pdf
on page 21 you can see the cree color bins lined up around the line a tungsten light would give at that temperatures
the closer the bin to the line the better

higher CRI or smaller variation bins have small areas so they need 3 characters to identify them

0S or 0R are the worst blue temperatures with a heavy tint
while 5A3 is a nice neutral white

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
unfortunately I have no recommendations on a side switch light,
but a general idea:

think of "P60 led insert" ... f.e. a member nailbenders shop customlites.com and get a
--> P60, XM-L2 led, orange peel reflector, three level, 5.000 K neutral white led (I simply dont like the color of those warm whites)

(You can even go for warm white, or for high CRI model(s) of led - but those usually give visibly less output)

and check for a host light (a "housing" for that led insert) that offers the features You like, like side switch, battery size, ...