1 watt LED 20,000MCD question

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at this on ebay, and I had a question. MCD's are generally used for focused power at distance, Right? This starlike (UFO) gives off light over a wide degree. wouldent it be better to rate this LED in lumens, and is the 20KMCD reading of the unfocused light?
I mean 20,000 MCD from a 1 Watt source... I can run 2 nichias that bright.
Can anyone clear this up for me.
Jeff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2593476736&category=26207

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
This looks like one of ISP Korea's products.

From my website:

Test current was 354 milliamps.
Measures 13,570mcd with a 60° beam.
Color temperature appears to be right around 6,000°K, which is right on for this device.
Remember, wider viewing angles always equal lower mcd values.

And here's the picture of the LED itself and a shot of its beam on the target at 12":

hw-350-1.jpg

hw-350-2.jpg

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanx, that is what I thought. I have heard that they are not quite as bright. IYO are a a good substitute for a luxeon 1W, keeping in mind the $$$ factor?
Jeff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
WildRIce said:
thanx, that is what I thought. I have heard that they are not quite as bright. IYO are a a good substitute for a luxeon 1W, keeping in mind the $$$ factor?
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
I honestly don't know if these would be better than Luxeon Stars at the price point. I just test LEDs; I don't mod with them. Sorry I don't have a good answer for this question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
Will you do some beamshot with optics?

What sort of optics will fit on these?

[/ QUOTE ]
None of the samples I received came with optics, and I don't know what kind of optics fit on these LEDs.
No help in this department, sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

trailhead

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
What sort of optics will fit on these?

Thanks,

Vince.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both the Fraen and 30mm optics "fit" but neither well. You'd need to get creative to centre and raise the optic for optimum beam.

IMO you should spend the extra money and stay with the Luxeon. There's no comparison in output. I still have six sealed in the package if you want to try for yourself.

Duane

Crux

Newly Enlightened
The chart shows 50lm typ at 20mA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif WOW!

Who's zooming who? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Crux

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trailhead/Duane: If there's one still available I'd certainly be interested in taking a look at one. I'm going to be adding a page to my site soon specifically focusing on LED's...but think I kinda need something more than a single 1W LS to add to it!