Creating a Super Magcharger - Latest Generation Magcharger

arKmm

Enlightened
Evening,

The latest version of the Maglites has been out for a while now, including a new generation Magcharger. I've had a look but can't find any threads relating to modification of this latest generation (although there are threads relating to the older ones). So I thought I'd create this as a one-stop-shop thread about working on this new version.

By stock, the stats are much better than previous generations:

Mag-Charger-LED-Rechargeable-System.jpg

However, it still is by no means ground-breaking, but with the new heatsinking, powerful battery pack, and quarter-turn cam focusing system, it seems like a ripe platform for modification to create a premium searchlight.

Are there any custom manufacturers out there offering modded/upped versions of these yet, or alternatively are there any who would be interested in giving it a go?

A simple swap of the LED for perhaps one of the XHPs, plus an upgraded and more powerful driver (similiar to Vinh's VNX2) would make this brilliant I feel, and I reckon it could easily be pushed to 3k lumen+, which when coupled with the focusing ability would create a very potent searcher!

I'd do it myself but I don't have the tools or knowhow.

Any thoughts or input chaps?

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
Had a bit more of a look into this, and discovered the magcharger runs an XM-L2 as standard. As this shares the same 5x5mm format as the XHP50, the XHP50 would presumably be the best replacement as it'd maintain the same focal point for the reflector. Therefore, the only other parts that'd need a swap would be the driver and PCB I think?

The research continues.

arKmm

Enlightened
As it's heatsinked for an XM-L running at 650lms, if we stick an XHP50 in there it's going to need some improvement although I'm unsure in what form that'll need to take.

Having a chat with VOB who does a lot of Mag work, it's not viable to uprate the magcharger due to the battery and charging system which would be very hard to modify. As such, the standard non-rechargeable is going to be a better platform, as it can be run on Li-Ions.