d-lux

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
this is a light that i've been "planning" to do for over a year now.

it's changed a lot over that time, size, options, defining characteristics, names, etc.

it started out as a special project, but was dumped for a more revised design halfway through the build.

it's actually one of the very first things i machined on my lathe, so it's not quite up to current rothish standards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

several things have been putting it off: business, lack of funds for converter/led, unable to find an annodyzer, and constand design revisions. i finally decided to screw the annodyzing and finish it up. a year is too long to wait for anything like this, especially since it's now an outdated design.

before i show you the pics, i should mention that it was designed around a specific purpose, which has since been dropped. as a result, it's a little bigger than it would otherwise be, it was built very differently than i would normally build a light, and the area where the emitter mounts looks terrible...

some stats:
q3j emitter
madmax+
frean lp
custom ucl lens
kroll clicky
integral body heatsink
ribbed for heatsinking pleasure

special thanks go to charlie for providing me with an emitter so i could finally get this finished /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bodyshotside.jpg

body/heatsink. now that's what i call a heatsink! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bodyshotangleddown.jpg

another pic from a different angle. notice the pretty hot pink electrical isolation paint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

modifiedecanpotted.jpg

ecan has been modified to slide in front of the battery. this was a whole lot easier than putting the converter in the top by itself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

insidefrombehind.jpg

shot into the battery tube, showing the converter. note the thick walls.

completedtopnobezel.jpg

here's what i was talking about earlier. the light was designed to do something else, but since that has changed, it left some less-than cosmetically pure effects /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (threads look funee because they've been lubed)

tailcap.jpg

tailcap piece. 3 1/4-20 tapped holes, and a 1/4-20npt one (the big is the npt one, used on locline)

backend.jpg

shot from the back. again, walls are thick. i may some day trim it down to match, but i kind of like having the tailcap slightly thicker.

standingontail.jpg

here it is finished!

standingupon.jpg

finished and on

holdinglighton.jpg

and that's that.
i origionally machined it to use an nx05, so using the frean lp meant that the gap inbetween the head and the first rib was smaller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
i'll fix that up later.

having it unannodyzed has benifits.
eventually i may put on a clip, drill and tap a few more holes, turn it down a bit, and maybe even add some tritium markers.

it's been a long time coming. glad i was finally able to finish it, even though it's not origionally what i had planned.

jtice

Flashaholic
Nice to see you finally finishing this up adn posting it Roth.

Turned out rather nice. Alot thicker than need be, but hey, shes strong right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I like tail guard, seems to flow with it nice, looks like you rounded and buffed it down nice.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful! The last few pics really made me like it! I reminds me of brushed stainless steel. In fact I was going to mod one light that was SS but it ended up being so crappy I returned it (was nothing more than a SS exhaust pipe and cheap switch. It didn't even have a tail cap!)

I think you should add some blue glow powder around the led! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
issac, i'll probably do that.

not sure how the frean lp will react, but the nx05 works great with the back painted.

i've done some "heat testing" with this thing, and it gets warm, and after a point it just stays warm.
heatsinking at it's best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
What batteries and converter does it use? Anything less than 1A to the LED would be a darn shame! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
mm+ and 123.

yes, i agree. if there were suitable focal options for the 5w in this size i definately would have used it!

Halibut

Enlightened
Roth,

That's a beauty. I like the clean lines of the unknurled fins! It will probably be difficult to anodize now that the electronics and emitter are in...

DT

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
mm+ and 123.

yes, i agree. if there were suitable focal options for the 5w in this size i definately would have used it!

[/ QUOTE ] Naah, you have have to machine a head with an integral reflector of bare aluminium. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
if only i had the tools /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

hally, it turned out better in person than on paper!
i must say it does look pretty elegant...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

i had the origional drawings for this uploaded to cpf over a year ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

took me long enough to finish it huh?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well it's abouuuuuut time! Good Job Roth! And *we* know what the "d" is short for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh yeah, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Very nice, Roth. I like the tailcap, and the integrated bulkhead. Great work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

yea darell, i do feel guilty about the heatsinking...
was trying to get the thign hot, but it just won't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

d short for don? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Roth! Now have you done the 10 tonne drive over test? I'll bet it will survive it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now, PM sent for 250 of these little babies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
There goes Roth with his female nail polish again... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though, this looks very nice. Good to see it finally come together after over a year...(although it Does remind me of another certain "tubular" light -- hmmm, all you'd need is a little knurlong on the fins and to cut out the tops of them holes)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But of course that's how it is with cylindrically-shaped lights, can't get too far off tangent design-wise without getting into some really ghastly (not my word, Simon Cowell's, I just watched American Idol last night!) designs.

Congrats.