Olight m3xs-ut javelot jammed up

Minimoog

Enlightened
Yesterday I took the tailcap off my light to remove the batteries - the first time I have done this as it's the first time they have run down - and now it won't go back on even with no batteries. It goes on a little way then jams with a sound of binding metal. If you install the battery the light comes on at this point and the click switch does not operate the light.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Im at a loss what can cause this. Here's a photo of the inside of the tailcap. Does anything look amiss?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4io9io9s4nj403z/20161113_100322.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for any input.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you remove the spring? I'd then clean out the threads thoroughly with detergent, same for the threads on the body. Then try screwing it on again once you've lubed the threads, without the spring.
Might work. If it does put the spring back and try again.
P

Minimoog

Enlightened
Can you remove the spring? I'd then clean out the threads thoroughly with detergent, same for the threads on the body. Then try screwing it on again once you've lubed the threads, without the spring.
Might work. If it does put the spring back and try again.
P

Thanks - had a go at removing the spring but it is held in somehow. The threads are spotless clean though and whatever the cause of the jamming it feels like binding metal. No hope of getting the cap on at all and if I try the light just turns on and stays on.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a disassembly writeup for that funky tailcap assembly somewhere online. I don't remember where I saw it exactly, probably on that other more fiscally frugal forum. Maybe a search would turn it up.

I can't say for sure what's causing yours to jam up. Can you actually see the metal bent somewhere? The light's behavior you describe - coming on as soon as you put the tailcap on - would indicate something bent and shorted together, or at least bent over toward the side of the tube too far. All the tailcap does is provide a current path out of the battery anode, through the spring, the switch and into the body of the light. Somehow you're bypassing the switch in your tailcap so its always a closed path no matter the switch position, a short.

Minimoog

Enlightened
There's a disassembly writeup for that funky tailcap assembly somewhere online. I don't remember where I saw it exactly, probably on that other more fiscally frugal forum. Maybe a search would turn it up.

I can't say for sure what's causing yours to jam up. Can you actually see the metal bent somewhere? The light's behavior you describe - coming on as soon as you put the tailcap on - would indicate something bent and shorted together, or at least bent over toward the side of the tube too far. All the tailcap does is provide a current path out of the battery anode, through the spring, the switch and into the body of the light. Somehow you're bypassing the switch in your tailcap so its always a closed path no matter the switch position, a short.

I think the spring has somehow come too far forwards so it is jamming on the inside of the battery tube (the spring is tapered). Its as if it has come forwards too much and is just jamming at the bottom of the tube and shorting. I heard a unusual sound as I undid the cap - and I note that there is quite a sharp edge that could pick up on the bottom of the battery and make the spring turn as the cap is unscrewed.

I may contact Olight - are they interested in such things or just ignored? It may be a design fault.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean the spring in the tailcap or the spring on the end of the driver, at the head of the light? Cause the "spring" in the tailcap is hidden inside that floating...arrangement they've got back there. If the driver spring is bent and shorting that's a big deal. It could cause your battery to short, overheat, and potentially catch on fire. I don't think that's what you mean though, since you said the light still comes on.

And yes, Olight has a good reputation for service. They've even got a US service center in Georgia, assuming you're in the US of course.

Scourie

Enlightened
That spring looks all wrong to me, you sure it was in there to start of? Try gently pulling on the spring to get it out of the tailcap, and try without it.

Rob

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That spring looks all wrong to me, you sure it was in there to start of? Try gently pulling on the spring to get it out of the tailcap, and try without it.

Rob

Oh wow, I didn't even see the photo the first time. That's definitely not supposed to be there. Looks like somebody wanted to use an "unsupported" cell size and tried to modify the light for it.

Capolini

Banned
OP WHERE DID U GET THIS LIGHT? I doubt it came from Olight that way! Could be a fake or you bought it used??

I have the M2Xvn and the M3X. The tail caps[insides] are the same.

Here is what the M3XS-UT it is suppose to look like,from Selfbuilts review!

M3XSUT%20009.jpg

Capolini

Banned
That SPRING is NOT suppose to be there!

Like emarkd mentioned,somebody probably wanted to modify the light by adding that spring so it could use[unsupported] cells!

Your TAIL CAP!

8FRHvYOK-pGvuRNjm2W3aNySDFGeot3vJ2hYlMUA5V4

PROPER TAIL CAP!
M3XSUT%20009.jpg

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I figured it out. Remove that spring! lol
Seriously,
After spring removal, I would inspect the threads to make sure they are not damaged. Or have any loose slivers of aluminum (if there was cross threading) that could damage the threads once you tighten down.
Good luck.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Wow! I would never have guessed that the spring was not supposed to be in there. It's exactly how I purchased it from GearBest. I will see if I can extract it, if not its going back.

Capolini

Banned
Wow! I would never have guessed that the spring was not supposed to be in there. It's exactly how I purchased it from GearBest. I will see if I can extract it, if not its going back.

Unbelievable!!! They sold it to you like that?!!

I would send it back no matter what. You may find that the "grinding" due to the spring has damaged the threads!

Hopefully they did not weld it in there!!

iirc your from England?

I rarely buy outside of USA. There are many good dealers here w/ great customer service and would never do something like that!

Why the hell would they ADD a spring to it??!!! :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unbelievable!!! They sold it to you like that?!!

I would send it back no matter what. You may find that the "grinding" due to the spring has damaged the threads!

Hopefully they did not weld it in there!!

iirc your from England?

I rarely buy outside of USA. There are many good dealers here w/ great customer service and would never do something like that!

Why the hell would they ADD a spring to it??!!! :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead
I would also reach out to olightworld on here or contact olight through their website to make them aware of the situation so they can do some QC on their distribution channels.

Capolini

Banned
I would also reach out to olightworld on here or contact olight through their website to make them aware of the situation so they can do some QC on their distribution channels.

I agree, but not sure why you are quoting me! OP is the one w/ the light!

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, but not sure why you are quoting me! OP is the one w/ the light!
I just like to quote you. See what I'm doing now? More quoting you! Hahahaha.

Actually I quoted you to piggyback on what you were saying, keeping the two thoughts together.

Minimoog

Enlightened
I managed to get it out. The way it was jammed in there I thought it would never come out but it did with a twang. Absolutely no damage caused but most odd. The light did work with it in there, but once it shifted then it just jammed. I will write to Olight and have already written to GearBest, however I don't suppose I'll ever get to the bottom of it. If I were to guess, it may be a customer return to gearbest that slipped the net and the spring was something added after sales.

Capolini

Banned
I managed to get it out. The way it was jammed in there I thought it would never come out but it did with a twang. Absolutely no damage caused but most odd. The light did work with it in there, but once it shifted then it just jammed. I will write to Olight and have already written to GearBest, however I don't suppose I'll ever get to the bottom of it. If I were to guess, it may be a customer return to gearbest that slipped the net and the spring was something added after sales.

I hope the light serves you well!! :D

Your more easy going than I am! I would still demand a brand new light [w/ no spring!!],,,,,,,,,this could be a second hand light and who knows why and who would install a spring? It obviously got by QC!

Minimoog

Enlightened
I hope the light serves you well!! :D

Your more easy going than I am! I would still demand a brand new light [w/ no spring!!],,,,,,,,,this could be a second hand light and who knows why and who would install a spring? It obviously got by QC!

I just checked and I am 99% sure that the spring was fitted to allow use of unprotected cells.

Don't worry, I will push as much as possible and will report here what is said.

busseguy

Enlightened
I'm also having issues with the tailcap on my M3XS-UT.

I just bought it from someone on another forum and the internal piece of the tailcap keeps falling out.

Is this normal that the internal piece can just fall out?

thats never happened on any of my other lights.

Last edited: