Budda

Enlightened
I received the Rofis KR20 from Rofis for the review. Here's the purchase link

KR20 Specs
20161031037610935.jpg

The light comes in this box
DSCN3175_zpsgpbfsg84.jpg

DSCN3176_zpsenvuzqyz.jpg

Inside the box: Light, holster, microusb cable, spare orings and charging port cover, lanyard, 3400mAh 18650 battery.
DSCN3177_zpspne59pft.jpg

DSCN3180_zpsrv6vfsbe.jpg

DSCN3219_zpslvbxwhu5.jpg

DSCN3181_zpsbilwtzja.jpg

DSCN3229_zps8hwpozxw.jpg

DSCN3225_zps7qpjykxb.jpg

DSCN3223_zpso8kimggz.jpg

DSCN3222_zpsdolqqkdw.jpg

DSCN3187_zps2a9mlfjy.jpg

DSCN3188_zpsdc9ovl4n.jpg

The KR20 is a light with double switch: a mechanical one at the tailcap and an electronic one at the head.
DSCN3193_zpsrna4a9qk.jpg

DSCN3185_zpskonhcgu8.jpg

DSCN3192_zpscqvgrrj5.jpg

Clip and the cigar ring are already on the light when you receive it. The cigar ring has threads so you can screw it in place securely.
DSCN3191_zpsg5ysfaes.jpg

DSCN3206_zpshexqmm39.jpg

At the head a spring.
DSCN3200_zpspfusjq5k.jpg

The electronix switch protrudes and has a plastic cover. With a couple of clear inserts so you can see the led underneath it, even when the light is angled.
DSCN3205_zps2grhuudo.jpg

DSCN3202_zps0rajvv3v.jpg

The sheath, mollle compatible with a metal D ring
DSCN3207_zpsj2biqcij.jpg

DSCN3209_zpsf01phnk5.jpg

UI
The foreward (allows momentary on) mechanical switch at the tailcap turns the light on and off.
When the light is on, click twice the mechanical switch to activate strobe.
To cycle between the modes you have to press the electronic switch at the head (standby, lower, low, medium, high, turbo).
When in standby, the led underneath the side switch will turn on and flash twice every 3 seconds.
If you turn the light on while you keep pressed the side switch, the light will turn on at moonlight.
If you keep pressed the electronic switch at the tailcap, you get strobe.
When you are in strobe mode, keep pressed the switch for more than a second and release it to go in beacon and sos mode.
The light has memory mode for all constant output modes and standby.

The strobe alternates patterns with different flashing speed, it is supposed to be more effective.

When you turn the light on, or change levels, the led under the switch will signal the charge left in the cell: from a long green flash, to more brief green flashes, to red, following the same pattern.

Output and runtime
Tested both with the battery that comes with the light.
Output_zpscr22iugn.png

Sampling is every 2" for turbo mode, every 90" for other modes.
Runtime1_zpsodahsusy.png

Runtime2_zpscscbsto0.png

Runtime3_zpsmm6mnjdb.png

Beamshot at 0.5 meters from the wall
DSCN3210_zps2wdrafwz.jpg

DSCN3211_zpslbu2uhbn.jpg

DSCN3212_zpscggcbsgd.jpg

DSCN3213_zpsxus2fgnx.jpg

DSCN3214_zpsnpryhxn5.jpg

The XP-L Hi in a smooth reflector gives a throwy beam, with a defined and intense small spot, and a spill that is narrow. When using the light, the "main" spill start a couple of meters from your feed, but you still have a diffused and less intense spill from your feet on. There are a couple of rings and artifacts in the beam close to you.

My thoughts.
Fit and finishes are as expected.
I like the metal threaded cigar ring, and the sheath.
There are many levels and are well spaced, apart from moonlight, that I found almost indistinguishable from the lower mode.
I like that you can access lowest and last used modes. But I feel the lack of access to turbo.
The interface accommodates different needs: from the tailcap the light gets you last used mode (which you can obviously set) and strobe, while you can cycle between the levels and turn the light "off" (put it in standby) with the side switch. The KR20 is easy to use, but I would have preferred it without the "standby" mode because sometimes I use the light with the side switch, and I put it in standby. Then, I pick it up and I forget that I left it in standby, and try to turn it on back with the mechanical switch.
I'd like to see an improved regulation, and the battery with a PCB that activates when the voltage is on the low side. I'd also like to see the light stop working when low voltage point is reached.
Also, a NW version.

Given the interface, I'd say it is suitable for who is looking for a "tactical" light, and can be also used easily to cycle between well spaced modes without getting through strobe.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera and the luxmeter.

Last edited: