WHo's next?

SC_Dave

Newly Enlightened
I may get some push-back here but I firmly believe Surefire makes the best lights in the industry. I have 3, E2E, 6P and XC1. I have a need like all of us for more handheld lights in various places but I simply cannot afford several more Surefire lights. Is there a manufacturer that you guys would consider "Next" in line as far as quality and durability to Surefire?
Thanks
SCD

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
9 years on here and this is your 2nd post?

Spend a little time reading the forum and you will know the answer to your question.

Malkoff,Elzetta,Oveready.......

Really?

SC_Dave

Newly Enlightened

Spend a little time reading the forum and you will know the answer to your question.

Really?

Yes Really, If my question, length of time since I joined and post count bothers you so much why take the time to post such a smart *** answer ?

In a pop-up window when signing back on here it said something about this being a friendly forum, I guess you pretty much made that statement untrue.

SCD

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Paul Kim designed several of SureFires lights. Some current stuff has his designs as well.

He started PKDL which is a small company at this point making a few lights. But as each new light comes out it is a step towards a bigger picture. His PRX weapon light is coming out soon. His alternative to the E2 is getting going as well. The PR-1 is the beginning of that. And the FL2 he did was his answer to the 6P he designed.

For clarity I sell his current lineup. But this post is not intended to sell you something. It is intended to make you aware of an alternative to SureFire products that are designed by the guy who was a large part of their success. (Note I'm wearing a SureFire ballcap while typing this.)

Now other manufacturers are viable as well. Elzetta has a line up of super sturdy lights. The new Bones could be seen as a 2016 version of the 6P.
Malkoff does a line of products meant for heavy duty uses with old school modularity and styling. Check out their websites sometime.
And Streamlight is still making some noteworthy items. They've been making noise with dual fuel items and some much better tints lately.

I own examples of each brand listed and would not hesitate to reccomend any to friends, family, soldiers or lawmen.

SC_Dave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks dc38 and bykfixer for the civil and informative reply.
SCD

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't really mean to offend,I really was/am shocked at the low post number over the space of your membership here!

As for the suggestion it really is about 5 minutes of reading to get the suggestions offered already.

Guess I am not making things better?

Sorry.

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
I just bought my first Zebralight, a SC63w, and I think it is amazing. Far and away my favorite EDC light. I was a AAA or AA light fan when it came to EDC, but the 63w is about the size of a AA light with amazing brightness and a UI that I can set at the levels that I prefer.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're willing to take some time to weigh options, the evolution of Surefire that Oveready is manifesting could be a very satisfying experience, not to take away anything from the other options mentioned.

ven

Flashaholic
What type of light are you looking for( general, duty, thrower, flood etc etc) as there are many good options away from surefire. Also the used market, like new surefires etc so a budget would help also(what your happy paying).

How about a new p60 for your 6p and bring it up to date or even towards the future with the latest driver/LED's...........
I found a NIB z2 for around £50 , sure your side(presuming the states) would be found for less. 6p's can be found for around $40 or so..........awesome host. As mr fixer suggests, some great lights by PK himself for this side of $100 . Then malkoff and elzetta as suggested (all be it premium side of cost) you get a life time of flashlight.

Want to spend less, solarforce hosts in a variety of flavours can be had for $20 or less, these are of decent quality and make good beater lights. As with the 6p, chuck a decent p60 inside it and your good to go.

Greta

Flashaholic

Really?

Really? 5 years on here and you haven't learned to be a little more helpful and a lot less confrontational and RUDE? If you have nothing else to offer, I highly recommend you exit stage left on this thread and don't come back for an encore... :ironic:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may get some push-back here but I firmly believe Surefire makes the best lights in the industry. I have 3, E2E, 6P and XC1. I have a need like all of us for more handheld lights in various places but I simply cannot afford several more Surefire lights. Is there a manufacturer that you guys would consider "Next" in line as far as quality and durability to Surefire?
Thanks
SCD

They make a good product and used to stand behind that product unequivocally, but perhaps times are changing, they being a bit late to the technology game?

My only SF is a 6P LED that I got on a closeout sale at Lowes ($37 w/tx.) and it's pretty anemic to be honest. The only light that I had, at the time, was a Fenix P1D and that little sucker blew the 6P out the door.

I've since added a 3 mode XM-L2 1.5A P60 and some 17670s, so it's a capable light now, but that all cost me ~$75, so any original savings went out the door.

I get the appeal and I get that they make pretty robust weapons' lights, but they were getting fat on all of the .gov/.mil contracts and probably wish they had branched out a bit more.

Remember COLT and their 'LEO/.mil only' sales strategy? Didn't work out too well for them, did it?

Chris

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? 5 years on here and you haven't learned to be a little more helpful and a lot less confrontational and RUDE? If you have nothing else to offer, I highly recommend you exit stage left on this thread and don't come back for an encore... :ironic:

I already apologized once and did not mean to come across as I clearly did.
Sorry again.

ingineer

Newly Enlightened
I can understand a little after coming back
My O my, how the world changes in a few years
Streamlight has taken over the military market, the Russians have copied their helmet lights.
Their weapon lights are dang good
The Middle Empire torches are coming up in quality
A Manker E14 has essentially replaced my 3P, even with the Malkoff dropin very innovative .two springs high quality.
Why does SF always discontinue my favourites? 3p and 1e1
I have a couple of Thrunites that I rotate. The Ti4T is almost always in a shirt pocket.
The Malkoffs are always by my night stand.
The Elzetta and HDS are IMHO better than any other light I have owned. Bullet proof, dear but worth every penny.
For daily use i'm happy with my
Sunwayman c22c
Skilhunt 1102
Olights.. several pocket lights
Zebra again great quality, new to me
a modified Convoy S+ one of the great bargains out there .
Even the 6P clones have become very useful with the proper drop in
It has become a buyers market, it behooves you to look around, and decide features
This forum is perhaps the one place to read, while the rest of the world buys something to make an unboxing video and the returns the product

MX421

Enlightened
I may get some push-back here but I firmly believe Surefire makes the best lights in the industry.

Maybe that used to be, but i think there are a few threads on here that discuss how they've gone a different direction. For instance, i think a lot of their new lights are not easily upgradable (ie P60 or Malkoff Format). Thats a big reason why i've bought a few of them (used mind you).

I have a need like all of us for more handheld lights in various places but I simply cannot afford several more Surefire lights.

Describe your "need" and where are these "various" places you want to store them. For instance, there are a lot of lights that are way brighter than the average P60 format can put out and a whole lot smaller. So much so that one place you may want to put a light is in your pocket. You can have a:
small thumb sized light (Olight S1, Zebralight SC32, Eagletac DC25C, etc.) which can run off of CR123 primaries,
palm length light (Eagletac DC25A, Zebralight SC52, etc.) which run off of AA batteries (or 14500 Litium Ion),
small 18650 lights (Zebralight SC63/63, Olight S2, Fenix PD35, Fenix PD32, BLF A6, Convoy S2+ in order of increasing size) which run off of an 18650 battery.
Midsized lights like your Surefire lights (Malkoff, Elzetta, Seraph, Solarforce, etc.) which run off of either 18650, 16650, or CR123s (X2)
The lithium Ion batteries are not recommended to store in high temperatures, like your car for instance, but all the other categories can be stored anywhere at the sacrifice of run time. You need to make the call where you want these strategically located lights and I think you'll find that a little bit of reading here may prompt you to try quite a few lights out like i did (it can get expensive). Have fun with that :)

Is there a manufacturer that you guys would consider "Next" in line as far as quality and durability to Surefire?
Thanks
SCD

This is subjective, after trying out a few lights, i like Zebralights the best for their size and ease of carry (I always EDC at least one Zebralight while trying to rotate through my collection). For the class light it appears you have, Elzetta and Malkoff would be even more durable than the Surefires although it would be close, however they are more expensive.

Again, I suggest try out a few lights, especially the budget ones first, and see what suit your needs. Alternatively, find a specific need, then research what light is best for that need (This site is a wealth of info for reviews, recommendations, etc.). For instance, i have a need for a good waterproof light when i go out in my Kayaks ( or other boats when they are running :)), this sent me to a brand called Armytek. Their QA is far from Surefire, but if you get a good one, they are incredibly durable. So now i have a Barracuda that i can use for spotting bouys and signalling boats that get too close if need be. That just one example, there are plenty of others. Good luck!

Lexel

Enlightened
The quality of lights build in china have increased over the years

Some brands have shops in the US with good service others it takes months to get a light repaired.
Many lights are build with component you can easily replace or repsir with common parts.
You can mod a budget light with stuff like DTP other LED bins and tint.

some brands lights are sealed with glue and its almost impossible to open em without destroying.

You could buy a light like Eagle Eye X6, original Convoy C8 the version with new firmware and AR glas for under 25$.
there are many drivers you can buy at mountain electronics if you like anothe UI or no PWM or DD+7135

SC_Dave

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys, just got back around to the thread. Thanks very much for your help. Here is the further info some requested. My needs are as follows.

I'm using it for an EDC/Emergency light. Example: When coming out of a store, movie theater, vehicle etc. I always have it in my hand JIC.

Dependability and durability are important.
1K lumens
2-3 cell CR123
Pocket clip
Head size same as, or close to body size.
Smooth bezel so it doesn't chew up clothing.
Single setting or programable setting or first "on" is max lumens.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks, SCD

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can think of several lights that fit your requirements. But they vary greatly in price. Shoot a goal price and a max budget. That way we can narrow things down a little.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Thanks
SCD
Malkoff Devices have a reputation for quality and durability. You could check their website for upgrades to both of your Surefires or for complete flashlights as well.