Did Thrunite forget the AR coating?

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
Have really been enjoying the TN4A NW , so was excited to receive my TN4A HI NW today. Immediately upon inspection, noticed that the lens has no bluish tint like my standard TN4A NW. Emailed thrunite pics and am awaiting response, but would like your opinions.
Did they forget the AR? Standard on the right, HI on the left.

Thanks in advance!

20161115_192736.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turn & angle the light at a 45degree angle and the blue/purple hint will appear, if you still can't see it on its lowest setting and its there. The AR coating seems to be harder to see with smooth reflectors and dedomed LEDs for some reason.

Last edited:

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
I do get this purplish reflection of the led with the light on. This is firefly, kinda hard to capture with this crappy camera phone.

20161115_213731.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
On a side note, the throw is ridiculous on this thing for 4 aa's. Lots of wide open spaces here in NW Minnesota, and this thing can really reach out and touch stuff, very impressed with both the TN4A and TN4A HI.

Lexel

Enlightened
Really good AR coatings appear brown and do almost no tint shift and have better transmission

but most flashlight manufactors wont spend the money it costs

the easiest way to see if its good it to reflect a spot lightsource and compare the brightness and tint of the reflected light

Last edited:

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
Well, after getting under some different lighting, I can plainly see it is AR coated, apparently it just shows up a bit differently due to the smooth reflector as LeanBurn pointed out. I emailed Thrunite and let them know this, and thanked them for their excellent worked and asked them to keep it up! I have been beyond pleased with all my purchases from Thrunite, this was the first question of QC I've had, and it was unfounded.

Treeguy

Enlightened
Funny you should mention the TN4A. I just flashed myself in the eyes at the high setting (500lumens). I'm still seeing spots. What a dummy I am.

I've been very happy with all my Thrunites and I love the TN4A HI.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...you'll only do that once..by accident..:crackup:

It takes a while to recover too.

Someone described getting blasted by the stribe from these is like having flaming stars shoit in through your pupils. ...I am not about to verify that one.

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
Got a reply from Thrunite CS, nice to see that they are quick to reply in case there had been an actual issue, another +1 for Thrunite.

"HI Jon,

Thanks for contacting us,

From different views, the lense may have different light refraction,

In fact, all the glass lense are Anti-reflective coated ultra-clear toughened glass lens. The naked eyes cannot tell the coating,

light transmission can reach 99%. It is clear,

Thanks for your continued support of ThruNite.

Best Regards
Eva
ThruNite Service Department

Any complaint about my service, please write to [email protected]"

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite uses the same basic AR coating that is the basic AR coating I sell to my patients all the time on their prescription glasses it is very easy to tell. My first TN4A, the original CW no serial number/no lanyard hole version, it does not have a glare coating. Awhile ago I got to talk to Thrunite owner David here on the forum about it he seemed genuinely surprised. I have zero problem with it because the light itself is worth $25 more to start with. Bought 4 more TN4A's. They are all easy to see the AR coat.