EDC help: Suggestions for replacing my v11R?

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
Greetings!

I've been out of the flashlight researching game for a while now, so I wanted to ask for some input. I have LOVED my v11R, but it's developed some problems for me. I've carried it every day for several years. My pros and cons for it:

Pros:
  • Love the variable ring control. Quick and easy, plus fun to fiddle with
  • Great size. Thinner would be better, but it works great in my pocket
  • Really bright
  • Nice clip
  • Great clicker

Cons:
  • I've had to regrease the ring a few times, and that's taken a toll on the light.
  • With being variable, I find I'm often using it on a much brighter setting than is really needed, so my battery life is greatly effected.
  • No battery indicator. I rarely have spare batteries with me unless I'm traveling, and several times it has died on me.
  • Clicker isn't working so great anymore
  • No onboard charging

SO, things I'd like in a new light:
  • Similar size and brightness
  • Battery level indicator, or at least low battery indicator
  • Onboard charging

Lights that look interesting: Olight S10R II, Nightcore EC11. Are there other 123 lights I'm missing?

I'm considering a move to 18650's... but fear my pocket won't be happy. I carry a Leatherman and light next to each other, so pocket size matters. I like the looks of the MH20 and everyone seems to like the Z SC62.

snakyjake

Enlightened
Nightcore SRT3Sunwayman M11Jetbeam RRT-01 (I have this one)I will only buy a light that uses a control ring.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
Nightcore SRT3Sunwayman M11Jetbeam RRT-01 (I have this one)I will only buy a light that uses a control ring.

Thanks for sharing those models. The SRT3 looks really interesting! But, no voltage indicator :(

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's lacking some of your requirements, but please take a look at the HDS Rotary.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying the Ring is something that you no longer need?

I think the HDS Rotary is the best control ring light still standing overall but I am inclined to use less brightness and not more with mine.
The SRT3 looks great but s really huge and tactical looking for what it is and I have no need for the colors really.
I run my V11r on AA too!

Otherwise I would say to look at the ZebraLights,they just do it all except the ring and are the smallest going too.

The interface is better to me than the Olight and there are more level choices too.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC600 MkIII XHP35 HI. This light is the best non-large/very large light I have bought in over 20 years of collecting. Just do it. Yes it is just that good. It is an 18650 powered light with over twice the total output, twice the range, twice the beam diameter, has programmable output modes, low voltage warning, strobe etc and it is just under a half an inch longer than my V11R. The build quality is ingot like. It runs off an unprotected 18650 cell specifically this is how Zebralight was able to make the light as short as it is. Dont worry every possible protection the cell is missing is already built into the light.

The ZL will roughly cost you $115 light/cell/shipping but in my opinion even that amount is half what it is actually worth. Get it off the ZL site and the unprotected 3500mah Sanyo 18650 cell they have as well for it is the best route. They sell out quick...good luck

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight S1R! Smaller than V11r and very good UI just 2nd to variable ring IMO and you'll save more battery like you said. In light charging. Low battery indicator but no voltage meter. Very low low and up to 900 lumens on turbo s!! Price is about same as a new v11r. This is an awesome light, true EDC bc its so small and capable.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 7 V11r's, many modded by Vinh. I really love this light and by rotating their use I can easily go years between lubing the control ring. It is a hard light to replace because it is just so darn intuitive....can you share a little bit more about what the lights primary uses are?Also, do you like lithium rechargeables, primary lithiums or alkaleaks?
The first light that comes to mind is the MecArmy PT16, Version 3(VERY Important). It is a quad that runs off16340's OR 18350's(similar in size to 16340, greater runtime). It has voltage indication, on board charging. If you want a thinner light, the PT10 uses a 10440 lithium rechargable(same size as AAA. There is also an AA size and 18650 size (all 4 lights have the same size head, just variable body tube sizes).
I love the S10, S1, S1Mini, Nitecore EC11,EA11,etc.
There are so many options, if we know the anticipated use of your new light, we can narrow down the selection.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 7 V11r's, many modded by Vinh. I really love this light and by rotating their use I can easily go years between lubing the control ring. It is a hard light to replace because it is just so darn intuitive.....
I've owned and sold dozens of lights but the V11R has always been a keeper for me. I don't use mine much, but if I did, I'd own more than one V11R......simply from the fact that products come and go. At some point in the future, this light may be non-existent.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
Are you saying the Ring is something that you no longer need?

I think the HDS Rotary is the best control ring light still standing overall but I am inclined to use less brightness and not more with mine.
The SRT3 looks great but s really huge and tactical looking for what it is and I have no need for the colors really.
I run my V11r on AA too!

Otherwise I would say to look at the ZebraLights,they just do it all except the ring and are the smallest going too.

The interface is better to me than the Olight and there are more level choices too.
I've loved the ring. It's what drew me to the light in the first place. I just think that for me, I'm often using it to bright, since it's easy to go full blast. :D I'm using it with RCR123's.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight SC600 MkIII XHP35 HI. This light is the best non-large/very large light I have bought in over 20 years of collecting. Just do it. Yes it is just that good. It is an 18650 powered light with over twice the total output, twice the range, twice the beam diameter, has programmable output modes, low voltage warning, strobe etc and it is just under a half an inch longer than my V11R. The build quality is ingot like. It runs off an unprotected 18650 cell specifically this is how Zebralight was able to make the light as short as it is. Dont worry every possible protection the cell is missing is already built into the light.

The ZL will roughly cost you $115 light/cell/shipping but in my opinion even that amount is half what it is actually worth. Get it off the ZL site and the unprotected 3500mah Sanyo 18650 cell they have as well for it is the best route. They sell out quick...good luck

I've seen a lot about this light. I had originally dismissed it as I was trying to avoid an 18650 light to keep it small in my pocket... but I'm starting to lean towards them now. Though I'd been thinking about the SC63w. What are you main pros for the SC600 vs the SC63?

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
Olight S1R! Smaller than V11r and very good UI just 2nd to variable ring IMO and you'll save more battery like you said. In light charging. Low battery indicator but no voltage meter. Very low low and up to 900 lumens on turbo s!! Price is about same as a new v11r. This is an awesome light, true EDC bc its so small and capable.

If I get a 123 light, I think this is the one that I'll pick up... but now I'm wondering if I should considering an 18650 more seriously. The SC63w or the S2R look pretty attractive! My V11R won't be decomissioned, so I'd still be able to use it when needed. And since I don't have an 18650 yet, this is my only flashlight purchasing chance for the next year or two!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have the SC63. Only Zebras I have are the older SC600 MkII in neutral white and the new SC600 MkIII XHP35 HI. Yes there is indeed dozens of threads on the MkIII on any light forum and for good reasons. I may not have the SC63 I do have most of the current "thumb" size lights like the S1, V11R, RC09, Jet II Pro, S1A, S1 Mini in copper and SRT3. The SC600 MkIII XHP35 HI, being an 18650 light, is almost twice the width of those other lights yet not even a half an inch longer than my V11R. The MkIII is also easily twice the weight of those other lights as the Zebra has the most sophisticated electronics out of any of the mentioned lights, the thick aluminum body, of course the battery weight and that those sophisticated electronics are fully potted which makes it the only light of those mentioned that is which is a very big plus.

The Zebra has just about any feature you can think of barring built in charging and colored LED's. Zebralight is also one of the only light manufacturers that has a factory in China and Texas. I contacted Zebra and my SC600 MkIII is US made which is pretty cool. The SC600 MkIII does have one thing going against it though and that is that the light has so many features the learning curve is pretty high. But the light is just such a stellar performer it is more than worth taking the time to learn how to control all the functions through the outstanding single side body switch.

The SC600 MkIII XHP35 HI is astonishingly bright. Max output out of this little light is over 1100 lumens it is stunningly bright. The beam profile out of my SC600 MkIII is about as good as an EDC profile can be. For the small size of the light the width of the profile is extremely wide. The hot spot is larger and defined yet not so defined it gives you tunnel vision. The light has so many output options that I think there are 17 in total I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong that there is more than enough levels to cater to near any EDC need.

In an effort to not write a book here I am just going to go ahead and sum up. The SC600 MkIII XHP35 HI has a beautiful halogen like tint. Idk if they have released a CW version but keep tint in mind should you go for one. The SC600 MkIII XHP35 HI in my opinion is better than any custom built light I know of. Even at over $100 it is still a screaming value.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen a lot about this light. I had originally dismissed it as I was trying to avoid an 18650 light to keep it small in my pocket... but I'm starting to lean towards them now. Though I'd been thinking about the SC63w. What are you main pros for the SC600 vs the SC63?
If want a similar size as the V11R, then get the SC63w. If you need over 1000 for extended periods, the go for the 600. Personally the SC600 is to large for me to EDC, but the SC62W and SC63w are perfect.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all the suggestions in this thread pointed to zebralight and olight, you can't go wrong by much. All suggestions are good. I'll take a photo of the three lights when I get home but IMO 18650 becomes too large to EDC except in a holster but the ZLs don't come with holsters but they probably fit inside generic ones.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you love your v11r, and the switch is giving you problems, just buy a replacment switch :)

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
With all the suggestions in this thread pointed to zebralight and olight, you can't go wrong by much. All suggestions are good. I'll take a photo of the three lights when I get home but IMO 18650 becomes too large to EDC except in a holster but the ZLs don't come with holsters but they probably fit inside generic ones.

I would LOVE a comparison photo of a v11r, S1R, and SC63w. Today I was using the v11r, and realized that I frequently hold it in my mouth for certain short tasks. I was then worried a larger light might not be as comfortable for this. The S1R also has the magnetic base, which I haven't had in a light before, so it might be more "flexible" in that regard. Simplest option would be to get both! But I don't have the funds for that currently.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the v11r in the very middle, 16340 size to left and HDS to right, then 18650 size including ZL mkiii HI for size comparo.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1479521936.176154.jpg

Here is the ZL in a generic holster:

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1479521947.771373.jpg

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think I would stick an S1R in my mouth at all,I have read about current flow at the charge connection in the tail!

ven

Flashaholic
If budget is not too much of an issue, rotary UI ..............HDS would be up there towards the ultimate EDC(subjective of course). If a couple of 100 lumens is enough for your uses, then defo worth a look :)

Compact and 18650 fed, as mentioned the ZL mkIII has to be up there as one of the best~$100 lights............UI may not suit being uses to a control ring though.