Birth of Insanity (First LED Flashlights Arriving)

RLDubbya

Newly Enlightened
It has started.

UPS yesterday delivered a Fenix TK16 and a TK75 (2015). Up until then, the only bright LED lights in the house were Gemini headlights: I had a pair of their original quite large LED heads (about 950 lumens), and custom battery packs; I liked the originals so much that when one battery pack showed signs of aging after a couple years, I ordered a Titan - a much smaller head and battery pack, more programmability, 900 lumens, roughly the same throw as the big original, but with a bit less spill. Still a very useable headlamp, has 3 power settings, and I use it daily.

I also have MagLite C and D cell lights - the "clubs" that really don't give off much light but pack a solid thud against body parts. One of my original headlamps - Black Diamond AA LEDs - is still functional, and gets daily use.

The TK16: 1000 lumens this small? Simply incredible. The build quality is off-the-charts drop dead sexy. Love the tailcap switching; no fumbling at all for side mounted switches. UI is intuitive, stupid easy to learn. Handed it to my wife, who is a technophobe, and she figured out how to use it in about 20 seconds. Also purchased a nice locking, rotating "tactical" holster - while it is a nice holster, and the pair work well together, my wife doesn't like having the light at her side as she thought she would. The TK16 and holster will become my EDC.

Since the TK16 is ultimately not going to work for my wife, and since my Gemini Titan is falling apart, and batteries need replaced, I was compelled to purchase headlamps: Fenix HL-60r and a ZebraLight. I purchased extra mounting clips for the ZL. My plan is to get the ZL hooked up on my wife's SpiBelt so she can train at night with ample light but not be restricted to wearing something on her head, which she hates. The Fenix will be my primary headlamp for night time hiking, which I do nearly every night. It will also get some use when I needs hands free around the house.

I settled on the 18650 as the power platform for all lighting. Coming from the Geminis, with custom battery packs, I see great value for me in standardizing on a relatively popular, yet powerful, cell.

Lastly, the TK75. Simply "wow." Build quality is clearly great, but for some reason, doesn't seem quite as nice as the TK16. That's a very minor complaint, by the way: it seems like the TK75 just isn't as "heavy duty", but is more refined. However, the output is shocking. Yes, I know, if I read user reviews Fenix missed the boat with this light: they should have used that LED, instead of this LED; they should have used this reflector design instead of that reflector design, and then the TK75 would have been a real flashlight instead of a wannabe.

Here's the thing: I can stand on my back deck, and I can illuminate the hiking trail about 150 yards down in the ravine like I was holding the sun. Maybe someday I'll realize how weak the output of this light truly is - but for now, I'm level-headed, and so slack-jawed in amazement that the drool runs out both sides of my mouth at the same time when I play with this light.

And the TK75 is not really that large. I ordered a holster from ebay for it, and plan on carrying it when I do longer night hikes in heavy snow.

I think I'm going to order a TK20R while they're on sale over the next week; after that, I'm going to look at lights to mount on my Glock 21.

Latest posts