CMG-Tracer Headlamp, Anyone?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just curious if anyone has tried the new headlamp from CMG called Tracer. I found it available in a local sporting goods shop for $25 and it's tempting. I like it's very small size and use of only one AAA. I'm wondering if it would be stupid to not pay the eight bucks more for the Tikka Plus. Of course, I probably don't really need either, but that's not stopped me before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Darkaway

Enlightened
FT,

I have one on my head right now. This thing rocks!!!! I have a Tikka, a Tikka Plus, an Aurora, a PT Scout, a SL Septor, the Energizer 2 LED headlamp, and a multitude of other incan. headlamps but this thing has become my favorite.

Just compared output to my Tikka plus.....The Petzl unit is definitely brighter, but not twice as bright (2 LED's on the Tracer vs 4 LED's on the Tikka) I would say 30% brighter. But the Tracer wins hands down in the weight and bulk department. I'm a hardcore backpacker and a fanatic about saving weight and bulk in my pack so the Tracer will replace the Tikka on my next trip; it's more than adequate for reading and camp chores. It won't light up enough of the trail for night hiking but then again neither will the Tikka Plus.

And BTW the over the top of the head strap is completely unnecessary IMO. But the designers of this light acknowledged that fact by making it removable.

All that being said, I still think that an Arc AAA clipped to my hat's bill makes a darn good "headlamp".

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Darkaway,

Thanks for the info on the Tracer. Now I'm definitely leaning toward it. Are you also happy with the runtime and water-resistance? I still wonder if the lower power modes of the Tikka Plus might make it more useful overall, specifically for reading.

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, cool, the over the head strap was the main thing that seemed dumb about the Tracer. If the Tracer is good without it, that's great, I want to buy one. Thanks!

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Darkaway said:
It won't light up enough of the trail for night hiking but then again neither will the Tikka Plus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif How much light do you need for night hiking? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif When I'm hiking trails, my main light is a white Photon 3 Velcro'ed to the bill of my hat. Backup light is an amber Photon 3 (some would say that's blasphemous, but it's always been bright enough for trail work, camp chores, and reading in bed at night). When I'm scrambling, route finding or if I plan on hiking/climbing through the night I'll pack a PT Aurora and a PT Tec 40 with lithiums for spotting those rock cairns 100 meters apart...but for most weekend backpacking trips, they both stay at home.

StuU

Enlightened
I am intrigued by the Streamlight Septor but nobody ever seems to have a good work for this headlamp. It seems that 1-3-7 leds would be a pretty usable arrangement. The led module appears to be the same as the SL7 4AA. Sure sounds like a winner for outdoor activities.

Any comments on the SL Septor?

Stu

-----------------------------
But honest men do not pretend to know; they are candid and sincere; they love the truth; they admit their ignorance, and they say, "We do not know."
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "Superstition" (1898)

Darkaway

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Plinko said:
[ QUOTE ]
Darkaway said:
It won't light up enough of the trail for night hiking but then again neither will the Tikka Plus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif How much light do you need for night hiking? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif When I'm hiking trails, my main light is a white Photon 3 Velcro'ed to the bill of my hat. Backup light is an amber Photon 3 (some would say that's blasphemous, but it's always been bright enough for trail work, camp chores, and reading in bed at night). When I'm scrambling, route finding or if I plan on hiking/climbing through the night I'll pack a PT Aurora and a PT Tec 40 with lithiums for spotting those rock cairns 100 meters apart...but for most weekend backpacking trips, they both stay at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hike at night in bear and/or mountain lion country, and on cliffside trails that may have washouts. Personally I want more throw than any 5mm headlamp can provide. I have used my Tikka plus and my Aurora for night hiking on familiar trails but only when I have my trusty Arc LSH hanging around my neck as a backup.

Darkaway

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
Darkaway,

Thanks for the info on the Tracer. Now I'm definitely leaning toward it. Are you also happy with the runtime and water-resistance? I still wonder if the lower power modes of the Tikka Plus might make it more useful overall, specifically for reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only an hour or so into my first battery so I can't comment on runtimes. The e-headlamps.com website claims water resistance. In the real world I would wear this light under the brim of a hat in the rain so that isn't a huge issue for me. The 2 case sections appear to make a good seal together. It's true that the Tracer has only one light level but it is regulated and that's more important to me. I tend to always use my multi-level headlamps on high anyway.

Darkaway

Enlightened
StuU said:
I am intrigued by the Streamlight Septor but nobody ever seems to have a good work for this headlamp. It seems that 1-3-7 leds would be a pretty usable arrangement. The led module appears to be the same as the SL7 4AA. Sure sounds like a winner for outdoor activities.

Any comments on the SL Septor?

Stu,
I have a Septor. It's too big and bulky IMHO for night running, hiking or backpacking, but it's the first light I grab around the house for chores. I'll use all 7 LED's for working on my car, finding things in the attic, or taking out the trash. Yeah, I have outdoor lights in my yard but headlamps are much more fun!!! The 3 LED's are good for reading in bed. 1 LED will get me to the bathroom at night without disturbing my wife.

Although the Septor's module may look similar to the 4AA LED ProPolymer's it's a completely different animal, not nearly as bright.

The beam does have a few artifacts but it can be cleaned up by removing the reflector. But this comes at the cost of a little output.

The switch on my unit went belly up after a few months. I sent it back to SL and within 2 weeks I had a new one with new batts. included. They do stand behind their products.