TSA: Flying With Malkoff MD2 and 18650 Cells

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
What's TSA's current stance on bringing flashlights and spare 18650 protected cell batteries on board a flight as part of your carry on luggage? I have to fly and my destination is going to require a super reliable light and battery setup. I'd hate to have my Malkoff, or any light, confiscated by TSA. And do different airlines have different regulations concerning lights and batteries?

If 18650s are a no-go, what about CR123s? I've only flown with AA powered lights.

Short side story--back in 2009 several lithium battery packs for broadcast television cameras caught fire in the cargo area of airplanes. TSA initially banned all lithium batteries then began allowing the packs to fly but required extensive paperwork and the batteries had to be enclosed in fireproof containers. There was a long period where we, broadcast professionals, we were having to ship our batteries via UPS ground ahead of our crews.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
hEn4DvD.jpg

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only requirements are that 18650s aren't allowed in checked luggage, and that they are in some kind of enclosure (light or case designed to hold them) not loose in a pouch, pocket, etc.

I always fly with an MD2, but it resides in my front pocket.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Last month, I flew from Honolulu to Los Angeles w/ my Surefire 6P Defender, G2 and Malkoff MD2. I returned home w/ the same lights PLUS a C3 Centurion, G2Z and E2E. I carried all my lights in my backpack, along with about a dozen cr123's and four 18650's. No problems for me, they didn't even bother to check my bag. I did however put my Ultrafire WF-139 charger in my checked luggage though.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have flown with my lights and spare batteries (li ion and primaries) and never had an issue. Although, I don't like flying with my favorite lights. On their website, as Grizzman pointed out they require batteries to be in the light or in a case. This is of course at your own risk due to them not being too consistent with their own rules. It might help to print out the rules from the website just in case.

MX421

Enlightened
The only requirements are that 18650s aren't allowed in checked luggage, and that they are in some kind of enclosure (light or case designed to hold them) not loose in a pouch, pocket, etc.

I think if they are in a device (ie laptop, cell phone, and i would presuime flashlight) they are okay. Further, i have a few of those "storacell" type battery holders that say they are airline approved. Worked for me the couple of time i travelled recently.

I have flown with my lights and spare batteries (li ion and primaries) and never had an issue. Although, I don't like flying with my favorite lights. On their website, as Grizzman pointed out they require batteries to be in the light or in a case. This is of course at your own risk due to them not being too consistent with their own rules. It might help to print out the rules from the website just in case.
I've done the same, in fact, they pulled my luggage off to the side once and i brought up that they probably caught my flashlight. Turns out it wasn't that, but since i had brought it up, the agent (in the Netherlands) asked to see it anyway.

I remembered there were a couple threads on this not long ago, i remember reading this one:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?418761-Which-light-on-airline

Last edited:

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I do a lot of flying and passing through TSA check points. I carry an MD2 with no problem. The spare battery or anything with a lith ion installed must be carried on, not checked. In addition the battery terminals ( the ends) must be protected from shorting out. You DO NOT have to buy any special containers. Just wrap some electrical around the battery lengthwise so as to cover the ends. Lastly the batteries cannot be placed in the overhead. If you stow your bag in an overhead, or another location on the plane out of your view, then you must remove it and place the battery someplace in your view.

Here is the TSA info...

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

MX421

Enlightened
I do a lot of flying and passing through TSA check points. I carry an MD2 with no problem. The spare battery or anything with a lith ion installed must be carried on, not checked. In addition the battery terminals ( the ends) must be protected from shorting out. You DO NOT have to buy any special containers. Just wrap some electrical around the battery lengthwise so as to cover the ends. Lastly the batteries cannot be placed in the overhead. If you stow your bag in an overhead, or another location on the plane out of your view, then you must remove it and place the battery someplace in your view.

Here is the TSA info...

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

Now that is what i ws looking for. Good to know i have to keep them near me... :candle:

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently traveled International and had my Prometheus alpha ready made with two spare 18650 keeppowers and had them in my carry on bag. The batteries were in a plastic container that you usually get when you order the batteries from malkoff devices and everything was smooth. Plus a mdc 1xaa and my McGizmo haiku 1xaa In my pocket. No problems either. Like was said previously as long they are protected against shorting out and damage they fine. I would check with your airline that you will be taking so they can give you the specifics in case they have different rules . I traveled jet blue.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checked TSA website today for carry on. Flashlights must be 7 inches or shorter. Lightsabers are OK though. Wondering if they are including the "blade". Some of them are heavy duty for full contact...?

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
if you plan on taking anything of value and they confiscate it tell them you want it shipped back to you and some airports have a post office in them . don't just let them take it but I know many times people are in rush to catch a flight and don't have the time to fill out the paperwork. But remember a lot of the stuff taken is because the TSA knows its valuable and they want it for themselves .

I personally don't take any valuable EDC items when flying. I had a court officer take my Fenix E01 last month !!!! a aaa twisty flashlight !!! its getting crazy these days

Keitho

Enlightened
TSA can do whatever they want based on a whim, and call it a risk assessment of your security. I've had TSA people confiscate a blunt metal pen because a "kubitan" isn't allowed, and others let me through with sharp 6" screwdrivers and scissors. I try to stick to metal EDC gear less than 4", which I think they pretty much ignore in the x ray. I always put spare cells inside some kind of device, like a power bank or another flashlight. Then, I happily surrender my human and constitutional rights for the convenience of a 600mph tube filled with communicable disease and tightly packed food blisters.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My expensive Snapon replaceable bit screwdriver was confiscated this morning in the Albuquerque airport; said it was over 7 inches! Offered to let me go back to check bag as luggage but their overly long examination chewed up too much time to do this without missing the flight. This was with my 7 year old son. They wiped some plastic opaque curved half disc on a rod, over the palms of my hands. Said their reason for going through my belongings was that I had something that looked like a hatchet. I had a paramedic seatbelt cutter/fabric cutter in an outside mesh pouch of the pack (clearly visible). That was not taken. I accidentally forgot to remove my Nitecore TIP from a belt loop while going through the walk through machine. It was seen during the shakedown, and I had to describe the lockout deactivation. "No exceptions" when I requested reason about the screwdriver. I brought tools inflight to help empty my deceased mother's house. The agent said confiscated items were disposed of... I was steaming, but polite.

terjee

Enlightened
Here in Europe, I usually fly with on average about 12x 18650 batteries, more isn't uncommon. TSA might be weird from time to time, but mostly people look to IATA for these things. If anyone is nervous about LiIons, then this is the document you want to bring:
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

It clearly specifies an unlimited number of them in carryon.

If you have batteries in anything (flashlights or vape devices), be sure to bring enough spare battery cases or similar that you can remove them pre-flight.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should also be said that TSA here in the USA is performing an important function, and I showed complete respect to their personnel during and after the process underwent. My son was asking me what was going on while standing around and I explained how they are protecting us, even though my mind was in protest of how this bureaucratic imposition makes our nation look rather cowardly and a bit oppressive to citizens. But just as our vital free-speech rights (including obsessive news coverage chasing the advertising dollar) also spawn copycat crazies to make a name for themselves with news-making acts of hate, it is a part of life humans have created for themselves in this day and age, One opinion.

Respect and thanks, goes to all the honest, patriotic employees of TSA.

terjee

Enlightened
Make sure the bezel isn't crenelated...or too crenelated.

But... then... how will you know if the flashlights is on or not?

Joking aside, this is pretty good advice. I think anyone traveling would do well to keep in mind that it's not just about a "Okay / not okay"-checklist, but it's very much about what the individual TSA-newbie "feels" is okay, or "feels" is dangerous. Often it's down more to the feeling than logic and reasonable thought, or common sense.

And the second something is even suspected of being scary, it would take a lot more to change their minds and okay a thing, than it would to not question it to begin with.

Bringing lots of 18650s? Throw them into a Solarforce case for example. It looks like it's meant to be that way, so looks "proper" and not scary.

Here in Europe, back when you were supposed to bag all your liquids in plastic ziplocks, I transported half a liter in a pelican-styled foam box, with padlocks, and nobody looked twice. Just looked so proper I think.

And do take the extra steps to make the rest of checking you out easy for them. I always drag out my laptop, and have a Osprey "packing cube" where the rest of my chargers and electronics are kept. Pulling out those two things, to make inspection easier, and having obviously prepared and made an effort to make things easier, seems to go a long way at a lot of security checkpoint.

And just for the record: Nothing I carry is illegal or unsuitable for air travel, I just optimize to do my part in making sure everything runs smoothly, and everyone has a good day.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I used to live out west, I would fly home to be with family.

I kept it simple:

If I had any doubt, I didn't take it.

All the rules and regulations in the world are great, unless the person doing the inspecting either doesn't know them or doesn't care. Small airports may not have a post office and if the folks who deposited you are already gone (or if you walked 4.4 miles to the airport at 3:30 A.M. like I did), you are totally out of luck.

A lot of this hobby involves minute details, analyzing, computing, pondering, and a general tinkerer's mentality. I enjoy all these things, as they make CPF and being a Flashoholic what it is. Doing all your research beforehand, coming in prepared, and being right is a great feeling, up and until the other party does not wish to engage.

While it is true that stories along the lines of "I had no problem" far outnumber those who had things taken away, along with sacrificing my individuality, airborne health, and overall sanity, part of the private thrill of traveling is leaving things behind, and in so doing, knowing I won't be one of the TSA horror stories.

A single 18650 light, cell inside, and a Pila IBC charger or Xtar VP2 is all I used to bring, plus maybe a AA Gerber Infinity on a long GITD rope.

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I flew up to Canada and was meeting with Selfbuilt and two other flasholics for supper one night - so I brought some lights with me. TSA was NO problem me carrying on a small / medium tool pouch in my back pack with ~15 (titanium) lights in it. Security at the Toronto airport on the way back had to check with a supervisor - I guess she hadn't seen someone traveling with ~20 flashlights before (usually have ~5 in my bag).