Convoy C8 vs Thorfire C8

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Just about the same. The driver may be different but they output the same amount of power. Are you looking at the XML2 version? The reflectors are a tad different in shape so they are not interchangeable.

Genius1

Newly Enlightened
Convoy C8 driver is more stable and has better workmanship module.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Just about the same. The driver may be different but they output the same amount of power. Are you looking at the XML2 version? The reflectors are a tad different in shape so they are not interchangeable.
Convoy XPL Hi and thorfire XML2. Its pure tightness on my part that despite convoy being the cheaper option in the states (so i believe) thorfire is cheaper here and whilst the snob in me would prefer to see convoy written on my light the frugal old git in me says thorfire...but if they are different beasts then I will go convoy.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some experience with both lights, and still currently own a couple of each. If you're looking at these lights as just hosts - something to be stripped (or bought empty) and built however you want, its hard to find much difference. Both are very nice chunks of aluminum. I think Convoy gets the slight edge here though because they'll actually sell you an empty host, saving money.

If you want a finished light though, something to just drop a battery in and use, its Convoy all the way. Convoy's driver is much much better, and getting better all the time. They just rolled out a new firmware a couple of months ago, for instance (may be only on the new clear-ano light still). Pair that with the myriad emitter options Convoy has and its very easy to get the light you want, direct from the "factory". Thorfire just doesn't have the range of options or show the level of innovation and iteration that Convoy displays.

In short: Convoy.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I have some experience with both lights, and still currently own a couple of each. If you're looking at these lights as just hosts - something to be stripped (or bought empty) and built however you want, its hard to find much difference. Both are very nice chunks of aluminum. I think Convoy gets the slight edge here though because they'll actually sell you an empty host, saving money.

If you want a finished light though, something to just drop a battery in and use, its Convoy all the way. Convoy's driver is much much better, and getting better all the time. They just rolled out a new firmware a couple of months ago, for instance (may be only on the new clear-ano light still). Pair that with the myriad emitter options Convoy has and its very easy to get the light you want, direct from the "factory". Thorfire just doesn't have the range of options or show the level of innovation and iteration that Convoy displays.

In short: Convoy.
Cheers I shall get on board the coooonvoooy! [emoji41]

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers I shall get on board the coooonvoooy! [emoji41]

Just bought my sixth Convoy--a C8 with GuppyDrv firmware and an XP-L V2 A1 LED from MTN ELEC.

I like the matte black finish, I like the price ($23.xx) and I like the tight beam. It's a cool white emitter, but that's OK with me.

Chris