*new* Fenix FD30: focusable, XP-L HI, 1x18650, 900 lumens

Vol

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen any other lights of a design like this. I love adjustable focus lights and this dual reflector design seems like a good idea.

stephenk

Enlightened
Looks like a LED Lenser style optical system, though with rotation instead of push/pull. 10,000 lux on throw is highly unimpressive though.

Vol

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a LED Lenser style optical system, though with rotation instead of push/pull. 10,000 lux on throw is highly unimpressive though.

I agree. Pretty small diameter reflector/head/body looks like.

Wonder what a design like this would do if using larger reflectors

TCY

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing kj75. If the flood can be really floody then maybe max <10,000 lux is acceptable, just see it as a pocket flooder that can throw if you want it to. 96g without battery is on the heavy side though.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Interesting. Don't see myself getting this particular light but would like to see how well Fenix does with the focusing mix. They've been pursuing this avenue for a while now. I do own an FD40 which I like. I wonder if the focusing on this light would be much improved over the FD40. FD40 is 26650 though and it is actually the smallest of any of my single 26650 lights which is nice within itself.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting design.

From the link, this light does NOT use an LED Lenser style focusing system.

Instead it appears to be just a conventional reflector with a flat glass lens at the front. The reflector is in two segments. The outermost segment can retract so it slides behind the inner reflector. This basically means the light has 2 modes:

Spotlight mode
= basically just a very deep and narrrow reflector. Spill will be minimal and throw should be ok for a tube-shaped reflector light. However, because the head isn't wide, and because there is no optic focusing the unreflected light, I wouldn't expect amazing throw. And that's what you get: about 10k lux at 900 lumens with an XPL HI.

Flood mode
= basically just a very shallow and small reflector. I would expect a smaller hotspot and less throw, but considerably more spill.

While not a throw monster, this does sound like an intriguing design worth further exploration.

colight

Enlightened
Still IPX8 with that focusing feature? Maybe no focusing allowed while underwater.

You're completely wrong, @RobertMM. This flashlight is totally focusable underwater. I tested it, and no problem with operation whatsoever. For interest sake, I took some pictures last weekend of two of my recently acquired lights(I just couldn't resist the temptation! :sssh:), both zoomies from Fenix - the FD41 and this FD30. Pictures of the FD41 are available on another thread (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...view-and-first-thoughts&p=5023430#post5023430), but I'll post the beam shot pictures of the FD30 here.

FD30 flood:

FD30 spot:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Not able to tell much about the floodiness from those photos. Left side is just brighter in spot. I can see on the right that more of the pavement is lit, but really can't judge anything from this pair of photos.

I like two switches and very much like having a barrel-diameter head for pocket carry.
Also would like to see a stepdown time graph. Wonder how long it actually holds 900 lumen, and how far it steps down.

Bugdozer

Newly Enlightened
Even with fan cooling, only a few seconds at 900 lumen, and then a gradual decline.

Been playing with mine for a couple of days now. It was foggy out last night and spent quite a bit of time in Turbo (900 lumen) and it never stepped down and I was out there for over thirty minutes. Didn't even get very hot ether. 900 lumens in a light of this size is not too hard to keep cool.

proceed5

Enlightened
I bought the FD30 after I was impressed with my purchase of the FD41.
And, the FD30 is also Good ! (the FD41 is nicer and has more intensity)

In Spot position, the beam pattern is like the PD32-2016. It has a defined Spot one that is not too small and comes with very useable spill that is bright. IMO this is Nice. With the FD30 it would make carrying the PD32 obsolete. The Spot intensity is definitely more intense than the numbers Fenix has put on its specs (i.e. under rated a bit).
In Flood position, the entire ground immediately ahead of me was lit up like a wall of diffused light. Very Nice for close up sort of lighting.
At max 900 lumens, the Temperature Control kicks in and it is only Warm in the hands. I have left it in Turbo mode and let the unit's Temperature Control do its job and it worked just Fine.
It is unlike the Old Fenix lights (example PD32 / UC35/ RC11) where it runs on timer controlled turbo mode.
I would say Fenix has quietly ramped up its game recently.

Last edited: