Fenix LD12 2017 Edition

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Fenix announced a 2017 edition of the LD12 with a neutral white LED. I've been dormant on this forum as of late and haven't been looking at lights but this has peaked my interest. Anyone interested in this one?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, how about.............NOW!! Anyone want to talk about it now??!! Here are my thoughts since you asked. Side switch is now the metal variety which I like better, it tail stands now, and its a neutral white led. I liked my old LD12 and gave one as a gift but it would skip modes and not change modes reliably. So if the glitches from the old LD12 are fixed plus these new features I think this is a winner.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 2017 LD12 looks to be good enough that it will be around for an awfully long time. I like the size/output/build quality/NW LED enough that I pre ordered one today. Looking very forward to it

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Question, why is the reported NiMH runtime so much higher than for Alkaline? I thought Alkalines were capable of a higher capacity than their NiMH (rechargeable) counterparts - although I could be mistaken...

I wonder what the beam profile will be like for this light. The older LD12 had a smallish and extremely well defined hotspot (which I wasn't a fan of, but it made for good throw). I do really like the weight & feel of the light in my hand - seems like it has a good build quality. I had someone from the forum modify my LD12 with a Nichia 219c and apply some diffusor film to the lens for a floody beam profile... I do like the improved sideswitch on this updated model. Maybe I will buy it and also have someone modify it for me (this time with a 219b emitter)....

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes. Hadn't thought about the beam profile. I'm also not a huge fan of the super tight and defined hotspot. That's what killed the LD09 for me. I might have to wait and see a review and some beamshots before I pull the trigger.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Intriguing and sleek light but I'd first like to see a comparison with the Klarus Mi7 which probably will edge it out. The Mi7 took 14500's from the getgo.

phosphor

Enlightened
Intriguing and sleek light but I'd first like to see a comparison with the Klarus Mi7 which probably will edge it out. The Mi7 took W's from the getgo.
....personally I'd be wiling to sacrifice some throw for the Fenix, which has 4 well-spaced levels and a momentary tail switch. No parasitic drain issue on the Fenix either.

Last edited:

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
....personally I'd be wiling to sacrifice some throw for the Fenix, which has 4 well-spaced levels and a momentary tail switch. No parasitic drain issue on the Fenix either.
Fenix is top notch. Love the build quality. I've never had a failure with any of mine.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Ah yes. Hadn't thought about the beam profile. I'm also not a huge fan of the super tight and defined hotspot. That's what killed the LD09 for me. I might have to wait and see a review and some beamshots before I pull the trigger.
I use a Fenix AD401 Diffuser on my LD12. Soft flood with the lens flipped down; tight spot with it flipped back (the diffuser lens will flip 270 degrees to lay down along the body of the light).

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
has lost the LD10/LD12-series charm. where is the flat surface logo printing on the body?
and they did the same 'error' with round body styling and single-side tailcap holes, which will end up in alignment catastrophe?

i got 1 light which looks proportional the same, has 900lm, and XP-L Hi LED and is also pocketable. i was super lucky with my unit:
25677951125_91b7f6c331_o.jpg

i like my LD12 because it has the looks and feel of the classic/legendary LD AA series. i also preferred the old PD32 looks. anyway, i won't bite for sure. afaik one could use 14500 in the old LD12, the light just isn't regulated, mine puts out over 450 Fenix lumens in the first 30sec after activation on a fully charged Sanyo 14500:

11931431976_caf8ec975b_o.png

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the old styling is more attractive. LD10 and L1D are really cool looking in my opinion. I'm not sure which is the OFFICIAL Fenix website, but fenixlighting.com shows that the LD11 has been discontinued. If that's the case I may need to snag one of those again while waiting to see some beam shots and reviews of this new LD12.
has lost the LD10/LD12-series charm. where is the flat surface logo printing on the body?
and they did the same 'error' with round body styling and single-side tailcap holes, which will end up in alignment catastrophe?

i got 1 light which looks proportional the same, has 900lm, and XP-L Hi LED and is also pocketable. i was super lucky with my unit:
25677951125_91b7f6c331_o.jpg

i like my LD12 because it has the looks and feel of the classic/legendary LD AA series. i also preferred the old PD32 looks. anyway, i won't bite for sure. afaik one could use 14500 in the old LD12, the light just isn't regulated, mine puts out over 450 Fenix lumens in the first 30sec after activation on a fully charged Sanyo 14500:

11931431976_caf8ec975b_o.png

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's pretty low output for a new 14500 light(70 lumen high and only 5 min. 150 lumen turbo on NiMh:thinking:), it uses a pretty outdated emitter, has poor efficiency/runtimes, still no moonlight mode, and still has a timed step down instead of real time thermal regulation. I dont know, I really think Fenix is having trouble being competitive lately. Most of their new lights just really havent been anything special imo. I do like that they finally are offering more neutral white options though. And, the stainless steel side button and low voltage warning are nice touches. Hopefully they will try and be more innovative/competitive because I like the brand.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's pretty low output for a new 14500 light(70 lumen high and only 5 min. 150 lumen turbo on NiMh:thinking:), it uses a pretty outdated emitter, has poor efficiency/runtimes, still no moonlight mode, and still has a timed step down instead of real time thermal regulation. I dont know, I really think Fenix is having trouble being competitive lately. Most of their new lights just really havent been anything special imo. I do like that they finally are offering more neutral white options though. And, the stainless steel side button and low voltage warning are nice touches. Hopefully they will try and be more innovative/competitive because I like the brand.

I agree. The XPG2 is probably cheaper for Fenix to make. Yeah, Fenix regulation and runtimes no longer impress me, in the context of what ZL and now Olight are able to produce.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. The XPG2 is probably cheaper for Fenix to make. Yeah, Fenix regulation and runtimes no longer impress me, in the context of what ZL and now Olight are able to produce.

Yep, Zebralight, Olight, Armytek, Nitecore, Thrunite, exc. just pick a brand and they likely surpass this in many ways including efficiency. And, unfortunately it is not just this model. Fenix has a lot of things going for them but, they really need to work on their innovation, efficiency, exc. to be more competitive. I am not sure what has been happening lately.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is that Fenix is aiming for an all-around light that has quality construction and good performance. From my understanding, their quoted outputs and runtimes are very accurate while some other manufacturers claims are a bit bloated.
Yep, Zebralight, Olight, Armytek, Nitecore, Thrunite, exc. just pick a brand and they likely surpass this in many ways including efficiency. And, unfortunately it is not just this model. Fenix has a lot of things going for them but, they really need to work on their innovation, efficiency, exc. to be more competitive. I am not sure what has been happening lately.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
It uses the XPG2 R5 emitter it is much more recent than the original XPG2 it is supposedly more efficient. Beam profile should be very good I am thinking a more well defined original PD32 beam profile. Guess I will find out when mine shows up.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, what kind of LD22-2017 could they/should they make?
I think that since you have a button to press for modes, how about five of them?

xp-l HI or perhaps xp-l2. A real neutral-white: 4500K, not the traditional Fenix 'neutral' of 5000K. V6 bin minimum.
500, 125, 31, 8, 2 lumens

Last edited: