How to get the Gamey Taste out of Deer Meat.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

This method is Unlike ANYTHING you have ever seen. See my number one tip for getting the gamey taste out of your wild meats, and my better than beef recipe for cooking venison.

If you have any tips or tricks you like to use please feel free to share them as well!

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Great job. [emoji106]🏻

My favorite is to coarse grind deer with bacon and make patties... 2:1... deer:bacon.

[emoji106]🏻

scout24

Flashaholic
Montreal steak seasoning on the grill. If I'm making stew I cube, flour salt and pepper, lightly braise/ brown in a bit of oil, then cook with the veggies. I've served that stew to people who to this day say they've never had venison... :grin2:

irongate

Enlightened
Thanks to all-everything sounds really good. Main thing is to not over cook it. It goes good in Chili also. And to start the day with some eggs and potatoes and a nice steak of venison. Now that is life!

nbp

Flashaholic
Maybe you don't like the taste of venison. ;)

I figured that out years ago about myself. I like venison summer sausage or hot sticks etc. but I don't really care for steaks.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I soak the parts n pieces in whole milk.
Removes the gamey flavor and adds a bit of fat to the meat, which causes it to become more tender.

From there whatever recipe one prefers to cook it. The steaks cut up into small cubes and put in chilli is pretty good... and your guests never realize they're eating Bambi.

scout24

Flashaholic
VOB-I was fortunate enough to harvest a mature doe on Monday, I'll be trying your soup mix tip this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

irongate

Enlightened
Try soaking the meat in (Buttermilk) for about 6 hrs. It will add a nice flavor to it and make it nice and tender in a stew or with rice and some onions and other vegetables.

markr6

Flashaholic
Interesting thread. I used to enjoy venison but for some reason, just recently, that completely changed. I can't eat it...it just grosses me out now. It's a specific flavor I can't describe.

I'm also one of the 4-14% of people that tastes SOAP when eating cilantro. (Science Explains Why Cilantro Tastes Like Soap For Certain People) It tastes EXACTLY like Clorox smells...basically if I drank Clorox, I'm sure it would be similar. The most disgusting herb ever and I always wondered why people liked it until a chef recently told me about this. Ok sorry for getting off topic :)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats ok Mark. Were still in the food realm. I'm your polar opposite with cilantro. I can cut pile of it and use it in place of lettuce on a taco. Stuff it like half full.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you soak venison in orange juice, the citric acid helps break the muscle tissue down and also removes the gamey flavor.

When I make chili, the meat gets browned first, then the tomatoes get cooked in for a few hours letting the acid break down the meat. Finally the beans and spices.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally use a long (overnight) soak in milk, or Italian Dressing if I plan on cooking. The dressing does like NoNotAgain's OJ, it breaks it down a little. I follow almost to the T what he does for chili. Deer Chili is my specialty. :) Keep in mind, personally, I like a little game flavor.

FWIW:
I love some Axis back strap! If I have buck meat, especially one that got wounded and ran a bit before dropping, I like to make some jerky. You can make tons of jerky with a small buck! I love spicy venison jerky. I like to do sausage with the rest. You will need lots of freezer space if you do sausage.

Buy a smoker too. Smoking the meat does a great job getting rid of the game flavor. I have been eyeballing one of those electric smokers they sell now. A buddy, claims it is amazingly simple. His meat does taste pretty dang good.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you soak venison in orange juice, the citric acid helps break the muscle tissue down and also removes the gamey flavor.

When I make chili, the meat gets browned first, then the tomatoes get cooked in for a few hours letting the acid break down the meat. Finally the beans and spices.

+1

From living in a small farming community and eating rather a lot of venison from friends, neighbors, I was told that long slow cooking in tomato sauce or citric acid helps in reducing the gamey taste. maybe use the venison for a meaty chili.

Otherwise advice from Germany: wild meat was soaked in (good) red wine for at least a day, change the wine every day. How many days depends on what the animal (Reh) was feeding on. I related that to a crossbow hunter so his wife did exactly that for the Thanksgiving dinner. No gamey taste that I could easily detect in venison. They and their kids were all surprised.

In concurrence with the OP, the crossbow hunter's wife did remove all of the thin 'skin' and any fat that covered the meat. Additionally, she poked some holes in the larger meat chunks so that the wine could penetrate.

FatRat

Newly Enlightened
I cut all my venison into roasts and and slow cook in a crockpot with onion soup mix[or cream of mushroom soup] potatoes onions and carrots.I like to invite people over for dinner that don't like venison.I wait until they tell me how good my roast is before I reveal its venison.All my remaining meat gets ground and made into hot italian sausage.Doesn't work as well for elk.

Last edited:

roger-roger

Enlightened
Jack Daniel's marinades and variations thereof, are good solutions for gamey meat. Even works for goat, although post-kill field prep has the biggest effect. In our hot humid environment, we eventually ended up field deboning 75% of the time, depending on conditions.

Miss my S75 Finnlight.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
Soaking it in milk overnight is an old trick to remove an overly gamey taste (the milk is obviously thrown away afterwards).

Last edited: