Klarus G20 review

narmattaru

Enlightened
I got review example directly from manufacturer.
------------------------------------------------------
20160719112612535.jpg
тгд
130d686284.jpg

stated characteristics

• Brand: KLARUS
  • Model: G20
  • Lamp Beads: Cree XHP70
  • Beads Number: 1
  • Lumens Range: >2000 Lumens
  • Luminous Flux: 3000Lm
  • Luminous Intensity: 5625cd
  • Power: 15W
  • Color Temperature: 6000-6500K
  • Switch Type: Clicky
  • Switch Location: Side Switch,Tail Cap
  • Feature: Lanyard,Lock-out Function,Overheating Protection,Power Indicator,Reverse Polarity Protection,Stainless Steel Bezel
  • Battery Quantity: 1 x 26650 battery (included)
  • Mode: 6(Turbo — High — Mid — Low — Strobe — SOS)
  • Mode Memory: Yes
  • Waterproof Standard: IPX-8 Standard Waterproof (Underwater 2m)

G20 comes into typical Klarus package. Good poligraphy and design.
Package incudes G20, holster, 26650 battery, manual, micro-usb cable, holster and small paper that offer to send any suggestion to manufacturer and get some products for reward (if suggestion will be used).
17da22.jpg

2f8f04.jpg

c0aee3.jpg

G20 is most compact, comparing to EC50 and R50. As a result - reflector is most shallow as well, which leads to wide beam and really flooding light without almost no hotspot. And for size like this, if you are big guy - G20 can serve as EDC light. It easily fits in jacket`s pocket.
1f0f87.jpg

08c13b.jpg

60934b80b6.jpg

Ok, i`ll start from tail.
There is tailbutton. Congrats, Klarus, well done! It adds a lot for convenient use. Finger finds this button easily, there is nothing to complaint about.
4178fc.jpg

Knurling is small. But size and weight of G20 provide firm grip.
a29bb4.jpg

Indication button and microusb charging port are located at opposing sides of head.
First one sits in centre of metallic square, near nodel name and serial number. Button is a way better that one of EC50 and R50. It is clicky and can be found sooo easily. I did some footage in forest at night. It was quie cold and dark there. So it took me some time to locate button at abovementioned pair of lights, while i was able to turn G20 on immediately.

1b3564.jpg

c4b1f6.jpg

Indicator is regular green-red,which all of us met at other flashlights
1ef864.jpg

Microusb port is deep and has a big rubber plug.
There was no chance to test it at 1m depth, but it succesfully survived 30cm deep immersion in bathtub. Anyway, i don`t really take IP-X8 seriously for lights that have charging ports.

G20 have some cooling ribs, but i think that there are some space to add 1-2 more without making flashlight too bulky and heavy.

As i wrote above, reflector of G20 is really shallow, OP, with perfectly centered Cree XHP70 at the bottom. BTW, take a look at R50`s LED. It so smaller than G20`s\EC50`s , that results in such large numbers at luxmeter (with the same overall brightness in reality). I assume that you will not be deceived with such a gap in luxmeter sensor readings. That is just more compressed hotspot and nothing else.
e89af9.jpg

8c478a.jpg

de6fb7.jpg

Unfortunately, I couldn`t unscrew bezel. it is really too thin to catch it.

G20 has dualsprings. And these springs are strong, you have to put a pressure to make threads match. They are well lubricated.
493f04.jpg

162fab.jpg

Machinery is perfect.

Klarus 26650 battery is a button top one, i couldn`t place it into Liitokala 101\202, but nad no trouble with Xtar MC1. But once there is charging port, that is no trouble at all.
Speaking about last one, i couldn`t see more than 0.9A with cable incuded, but everything was OK with liitokala`s cable.

G20 charges all 26650 batteries, that is a right decision which Olight must take into account.

Overall impression from G20`s look is totally positive. Compact, nice, with so convinient dualbuttons.

UI.

Non-flat button is so much usefull to find it in darkness or in pocket, but i can promise - G20 will turn on in pocket or bagpack. During test, mine did it all the time.
To prevent it there is a locking function. Just press all 2 buttons simultaneously, light`ll blink and you`re in. To exit it, just press any button 3 times.

but here is a really bad part. I red here that parasitic drain in lock mode is so high that battery will be drained in a couple of months. that is totally unacceptable.
And there is no chance to unscrew head a little bit as usually. Spring at head touches battery to the point when body and head are separate.

Swithcing brightness is so simple for both buttons : short presses will inscrease brightness. Holding button from on will swith to instant turbo. when you release it, you`ll get into previous mode (to high if you press button already from turbo)

From off - there is the same. Hold button - you`re in turbo, release - light is off.

Strobe\SOS - 2 short clicks.

Tail button alwasy starts G20 in low mode.

There is a mode memory.

Nothing complicated. Anyone can get to it in minutes.

I can say that G20`s UI is really logical and user-friendly.

G20 IN WORK

• Klarus G20 13lux-315lux-1174-lux5450 lux
  • Aсеbeam E50 — 9680lux (turbo)
  • Олайт R50 14900lux (turbo)

I want to remind you. "reflector of G20 is really shallow, OP, with perfectly centered Cree XHP70 at the bottom. BTW, take a look at R50`s LED. It so smaller than G20`s\EC50`s , that results in such large numbers at luxmeter (with the same overall brightness in reality). I assume that you will not be deceived with such a gap in luxmeter sensor readings. That is just more compressed hotspot and nothing else." So really you pay attention to G20s modes to see how they differ.
d1670b.jpg

But GIF`s are way beetter, i`m sure.
VS.gif

wall_3681cc.gif

Ok, folks. I think many of you have already red that there are no 3000 lumens. general opinion is that it has about 2000-2200. Still bright, though, but 1\3 less than stated.

G20 has temperature controlled stepdown. See GIF below. Interesting thing is that after 2.5 minutes brightess falls down a lot and then after 5-7 minutes it rises up to something like 1000-1300 lumens (i believe more in 1300 rather than in 1000) and keep on staying in this brightness for 1 hour 40 minutes. You can see stabilisation example in the end of video.
stepdown4812f.gif

I suppose that Klarus had to make separate constant 1300-1500 mode instead of constant turbo which has to be only instant,while button is pressed.like it is now.
Not like low-mid-high-turbo, but ultralow (0.5\2 lumens as a camping nightlight)-low-mid-high-13500\1500. And turbo while buttton is pressed.

koridor.gif

After 1h40 mins, light steps down to below modes for short time and ends up in low for a loooong time. In my case that was about 6 hours before i woke up and turned light off.

There are no PWM shimmering

Light is cold, about 6000K.
33efe9.gif

though G20`s package has label "searchlight" that is nothing but marketing. G20 is a real flooder. Of course in turbo mode it can reach 100-150m, but in this range brightness will be only enough to tell elephant from T.Rex.

Nevertheless, in close range, light is really nice. Comparing to EC50\R50, G20 was wider beam.

It has finall come to my mind that once my Canon has 3x zoom, i have to use it to make my GIF`s more visual. So, take a look.
les_vse.gif

g20-les-zoom.gif
g20-les-daleko.gif

g20-ogorod.gif

OVERALL

G20 is well-made and bright flooder with user-friendly UI.

It is definetely better then olight R50 (comparing to price and convenience\functionality). Acebeam EC50 has better turbo and throwing, but is worse in the convenience (buttons and UI)

What i don`t like:

• giant parasitic drain in lock mode and no chance to phisically lock G20 by unscrewing head whis perfectly works with other lights. i`ll lock G20 and put on shelf to rest it. After 2 weeks, i`ll measure voltag of battery. Hope this was problem only with another reviewer`s example.
  • no moonlight
  • huge gap between 650 and turbo (yes, stepdown finally reduces turbo to intermediate level, but i don`t want to wait extra 5-7 minutes). Klarus, pls, leave only instant turbo and put 1500 constant mode after high instead of turbo.
  • no real 3000 lumens

With some improvements, G20 will be seriously great light. I`d also would like to see little bit deeper reflector. Even extra 5mm will make it a way better thrower. Though, if you need 26650 flooder with widest beam - G20 is a good choice with it`s current reflector.

Last edited:

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Giant parasitic drain is a definite dealbreaker for me in any lights I buy. Was interested but not anymore. Hope they fix it and release a v2. Thanks for the review bro.

narmattaru

Enlightened
i really hope that was only other reviewer`s trouble and mine G20 will show less drain.
but i`ll take sometime. i`ll be checking voltage weekly.

i agree that with some minor improvements G20 will be better.

Klarus know how to do good stuff, i seriously consider Xg11s (gt) to be the best tactical light on the market now.

Maxim

Newly Enlightened
I got mine few weeks ago and I am very impressed with the beam as well. It is very wide and in general it is great flashlight for short distance use. I will test the battery drainage on lock mode and share the results.

K9Patrol

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it's just a parasitic drain problem, there seems to be a voltage leak in these lights when off. Had two of them, had the first replaced after noticing the LED slightly illuminated while outside at night. The replacement had the same problem, but much worse. I've got a photo of the emitter which is clearly lit (with different die quadrants at different intensity levels as XHP-70's do at very low voltage) The problem was most evident with a freshly charged battery.

Really liked this light (outside of the too easily depressed sideswitch button) but return shipping costs were accumulating to where I didn't want to try a third light.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I love my G20. I have not noticed a large parasitic drain on the 26650. The battery indicator has been green for over 2 weeks with little usage. You should not be storing you're flashlights for a long period of time with a battery in them. I have not noticed any issues with the G20 except only getting half of the capable lumens out of a xhp-70 which is able to produce 4000. Maybe vinh can help solve this issue :)

I have to admit I did have to look for a voltage leak after reading the above post. Luckily my G20 does not suffer from this issue.

Last edited:

Mathmk7

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the olight sr mini 2 because its seem to provide a bit more throw but Id like to compare it to the klarus !

TheGrave

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a solid bike mount for the G20? I'm doing some light downhill so I gotta be sure light doesn't drop off :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Can anyone recommend a solid bike mount for the G20? I'm doing some light downhill so I gotta be sure light doesn't drop off :)
If you have a question about the G20, please don't post the same exact question in * every * G20 thread.

It clutters the forum and splinters the helpful responses you seek.

Thanks ;)