The PRX thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
PK just released a new weapons light called the PRX.

For clarity, yes I have a for sale thread. But this thread is not intended to drum up sales.
The intention is to discuss the merits (or complaints) of this new light away from the for sale thread as a lively discussion had begun over there.
If the staff here at CPF prefers this not take place by all means put me on the right path please.

Now to the light:
This is another step forward in the evolution of 'portable' weapon grade flashlights.

^^ the past and the future.

At just 3.5" long (90mm), weighing in at 3.4oz (95 grams) these 1xCR123 lights boasts a steady 550 lumen output for about 45 minutes on a standard cell. It was optimized for use with an RCR. It features a patended spring loaded clamping system that allows quick removal via a grippy thumb screw.

The front end mimics the PR-1 with 3 fairly blunt protrusions forward for containing the beam in a forward direction. The mirror smooth reflector is a thrower of sorts while still providing a wide disperion of light forward of the user.
The tail end is PK's new tailstander with a button that requires very little pressure for momentary and activation is quick via the button that requires very little forward motion. The 3 'wings' of sorts provide a kubatan device in hand to hand action without being 'stabby'.

The body is shaped in a stealthy fashion with no hard corners like previous PKDL products while still providing a grippy surface in hand held use. The idea being that the matte black surface is free from reflective areas. Although not intended as a handheld light it is shaped in such a way that it is not unusually uncomfy as a handheld.

A lot of thinking went into this one, so let the conversations, questions, crituques begin.

Lit by the ole 6P

Mirror smooth reflector behind AR coated Borofloat

Each one is serial numbered.

Tailcap/ thumbscrew pic

Legoooooooh!

6200k tint

Borrowed from his facebook page

Borrowed from his facebook page

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I need to get rails on my AR for something like that. Looks good. I mean really good. I like the duel springs and that driver appears potted but could be wrong. I wonder if it can take lithium ion 16340. Not that it really matters for a weapons light.

edit. I see you wrote it was optimized for RCR so guess 16340 is a go.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yup,
PK understands the world is going rechargeable.

I'll take my demo apart to see if it's potted. I believe he told me they were going to be, but do not want to say "yes they are" without taking one apart.

I had an early prototype that was just that, a prototype and the final product was a lot different. It did not have a potted PCB.

Oh, and PK said he's added 4 more dealers. Korea, Japan and UK now have dealers. I'll pass along the details when I know them.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
The PRX has landed. Initial impressions are good, finish and function are flawless. The spring tension on the thumbscrew for mounting is a nice touch, and the springs for the battery are stout. I have no worries about recoil affecting contact. Fits fine on my front sight rails, out of the way unless you need it. Tailcap works fine with or without gloves, and the triad of protrusions allow for quick indexing without being sharp. I'll wander the yard after dark, and have some beam comments then.

20161123_152509.jpg

20161123_152557.jpg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's like a tire inflator... something you hope to never need. But if you do it has to work.

Here's hoping you never need it Scout.

I like the side mount idea on yours. I have a couple of 'varment' guns that will be light adapted sometime after Thanksgiving.
They'll be for fun at 4am.

scout24

Flashaholic
Side mount allows for thumb activation in a natural hold, does not interfere with sights, and I HATE rail handguards. The rails you see are metal, and were found on ebay for about $12.00...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like your idea Scout.
It looks like you just move your thumb slightly in a forward motion without sacrificing the much grip at all.
With a little practice at the range (or the farm for some) one could "become one" with the technique very quickly.

My goal is to have some fun with it.
Instead of the Wylee Coyote hearing "beep beep" in my area he'll hear "beep beep my @$$, BANG!, BANG!" lol.

I don't envision myself flying over a swamp in a helicopter at 2am hunting wild boar like a cross between that Elzetta kid and Steve McGarett... but if I ever do... a a PRX'd 'sportarized' M1 will be with me.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Exactly.

He said he has added 4 dealers recently but he named 3 countries... Japan, Korea and the UK. I think he's laying low about announcing them until they are stocked with the PRX.
His intention is to make sure his customers can get them by Christmas.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the reflector look like at the front? Is it shiny to reflect back? Will this in any way give up your tactical position when mounted, like on a helmet? Thanks.

//sorry can't view previous posts' photobucket links. :crazy:

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Great question.

IMG_20171110_130646.jpg

Here it is about 6 inches off the ground.
At some point I'll take a photo like this with it about 5' off the ground, but did the half foot height to show how hardly any light occurs near the bezel.
IMG_20171110_131107.jpg

From about the end of a rifle perspective.
Note: the actual light was lit with a flashlight to show the gap between the beam and bezel.

Hopefully the photos help with the question. PK had helmet mount in mind during the design.
It does a great job at NOT giving the bad guy a silhouette to aim at.

Sorry about the older pix not being fixed yet.
IMG_20171110_132118.jpg

Here it is in daylight

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Byk thanks for the reply and the photos; the gap between the beam and the bezel seems like a tactically sound feature.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something that doesn't get talked about a lot.
But, yeah the PRX has tactical at its core.
That's because it doesn't matter much in actual use. In most situations, the reflected light off of the ground and objects will light up your silhouette anyway. In conditions with any fog, rain, dust, etc. the beam will still be visible coming from the light as well. You can see it in your second pic. A flashlight or WML will always give your position away. That's why the military rarely uses flashlights and favours night vision for covert operations.

scout24

Flashaholic
It matters a lot to the CIRT team at the police department I used to work for. All the department's patrol rifles had wml's, as did the MP5's the entry team and associated personnel used. Night vision has it's place for sure, but there's way more wml's out there than night vision. Tactically sound designs such as the PRX are much appreciated.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It matters a lot to the CIRT team at the police department I used to work for. All the department's patrol rifles had wml's, as did the MP5's the entry team and associated personnel used. Night vision has it's place for sure, but there's way more wml's out there than night vision. Tactically sound designs such as the PRX are much appreciated.

I didn't say WML's didn't matter nor did I say they aren't common place. We are talking about the beam pattern and how far from the lights bezel the spill appears. I am simply saying that in most conditions this design feature makes little difference and your position/silhouette will still be given away.

It should also probably be pointed out that most PD's CIRT teams tactics are far from covert. They generally work through brute force and very little concern is placed on not giving away their position or silhouette while using a light. They don't even turn on their WML's until they are about to perform an entry most of the time. Then, they run in announcing(screaming) their position while quickly clearing rooms in an overwhelming fashion. For these kind of tactics, a WML's spill cast design matters even less.

Last edited: