ANKOR - The first ever Pocket Light & Quick-release Multi-tool Clip Combo

GrainOfLight

Newly Enlightened
ANKOR's unique design combines all the trusted features of a pocket sized flashlight with the added reliability of a quick-release multi-tool clip.

The carabiner style clip and quick-release mechanism redefine the way you carry and access your flashlight. Clip with ease and detach in an instant.

Watch ANKOR in action:

1926381479820564685.jpeg

9360921479816486461.png

8517691479816515705.png

290041479849933138.jpg

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh. I'm not personally tempted, but
a) props for using a Nichia 219 Hi CRI, and
b) props for using the 18350, which I think should get a lot more use,
c) good mode spacing, too,
d) with an 18350 the 700 hour moonlight claim is realistic,
e) if that brass ring is not just for looks, then they may actually have designed it for heat-sinking.

I think they've got the labels for 3/8" and 7/16" wrenches switched on the picture?

Personally, I like to keep my light separate from my multitool, but that's a matter of taste.

Still, considered just as a light, there's a surprising number of things about this light that they got right.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Realistic numbers!!! Woohoo!!

I like the multi-tool idea for use on a keychain. Quick release from a key ring and all but... I can see where if say driving to work and the light was in your trouser pocket it would quite possibly be stabby while your legs are in driving position. So perhaps a 1/2" long carabiner or split ring between the light and the tool would be in order to quickly allow them to be placed in your pocket separately.

Other than that this one looks like a winner to this flashaholic. I definitely like the side switch.
Can it run off a primary if the need arises?

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Other than that this one looks like a winner to this flashaholic. I definitely like the side switch.

I cannot see why it shouldn't run off a CR123 when needed. The 300 lumen high is not going to tax the capacity of a CR123. And if they did a decent job on the battery contacts (springs, pins, whatever) then there should be no problem with the 1mm difference in length between the 16340 format and the 18350 format. (You can always slip an o-ring around the CR123 to fatten it up so that it does not slide side-to-side.)

That's part of why I would like to see a lot more mini lights in 18350 format--they are backwards-compatible with the CR123 and RCR123, at least on medium and low levels (in some hot-rodded lights, the high will work on an 18350 and not on the RCR123).

With this particular light, it looks like the base of the light is at least 1 cm longer than needed for the battery-compartment, in order to accommodate the quick-release key-chain. (Look in the small photos at how big the shiny lug on the q-r is).

I hope they'll offer a second version of this light without the key-chain, and with a body that is 1 cm shorter. The package of features in the flashlight alone is very nice, and to me the key-chain and extra bulk of the body are just demerits, not attractions.

ETA: there's something else funny about these photos. Look at the screwdriver/box-opener that sticks out above the bottle-opener/1/4" hex drive.

In the top three photos, that screwdriver is quite short and sticks out maybe 3-4mm (like 1/8"). In the montage of 9 color photos below, the same screwdriver is more like 10mm long (like 3/8"). Looks like the designers may not have made up their minds yet? The longer version is *definitely* going to put the hurt on your thigh some day, as well as tearing a hole in your pocket.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The link won't let me in without a password etc.

I see the little 'brad' or whatever it's called that fastens the tool to the light in the first post.

Something like the split ring was what I meant.
No tools, no small part to lose, but lickety split separation of the tool from the light using the existing configuration at the end. The split ring could be fed through the hole(s) already there that fastens the tool to the light now.

Ima fan of the things grainoflight has shown us so far.
By the way is the "wood" light out yet? If so where can they be found?

Last edited:

GrainOfLight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments guys. I will post more updates in the coming days. I just wanted yo give you all a taste of the new product.

To answer a quick few:

- This will be available on kickstarter with pricing in the coming week
- The multi-tool photo's were of an older prototype, the newer prototype has a much more user friendly screwdriver point that reduces hazard. I'll post new ones soon.
- We are working towards having a wooden sleeve model in addition to the titanium sleeve :)
- The clip is quick-release detachable. We have also included a lanyard hole for your keyring,lanyard etc, if that is what you prefer... Why not use the benefits of both!
- I'll put up a video on youtube soon to show the functions.

I'll keep you all posted, cheers!

Looks great! Any idea what pricing will be?

Huh. I'm not personally tempted, but
a) props for using a Nichia 219 Hi CRI, and
b) props for using the 18350, which I think should get a lot more use,
c) good mode spacing, too,
d) with an 18350 the 700 hour moonlight claim is realistic,
e) if that brass ring is not just for looks, then they may actually have designed it for heat-sinking.

I think they've got the labels for 3/8" and 7/16" wrenches switched on the picture?

Personally, I like to keep my light separate from my multitool, but that's a matter of taste.

Still, considered just as a light, there's a surprising number of things about this light that they got right.

Realistic numbers!!! Woohoo!!

I like the multi-tool idea for use on a keychain. Quick release from a key ring and all but... I can see where if say driving to work and the light was in your trouser pocket it would quite possibly be stabby while your legs are in driving position. So perhaps a 1/2" long carabiner or split ring between the light and the tool would be in order to quickly allow them to be placed in your pocket separately.

Other than that this one looks like a winner to this flashaholic. I definitely like the side switch.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it will be a nice light. I like the Nichia, mode spacing, and moonlight mode. What will the UI be like? Hopefully it will have the ability to turn on in both moonlight and turbo from off? Also, will a pocket clip be available? It looks like there might be a channel for one at the base near the tail. A pocket clip would make this more appealing to many people. A lot of people won't buy a light without a pocket clip option.

GrainOfLight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated! Correct, we have designed the light to have provision for a pocket clip and lanyard. These may become a part of our Kickstarter stretch goal unlocking!

Here is the UI:
(1)Hold switch for 1.5 secs ON/OFF, click to change modes high, mid, low(has mode memory)(2)Double click for strobe mode
(3) hold for 3.5 seconds to enter moon @ 0.2lm
(4)hold for 5 seconds to enter SOS mode.

Looks like it will be a nice light. I like the Nichia, mode spacing, and moonlight mode. What will the UI be like? Hopefully it will have the ability to turn on in both moonlight and turbo from off? Also, will a pocket clip be available? It looks like there might be a channel for one at the base near the tail. A pocket clip would make this more appealing to many people. A lot of people won't buy a light without a pocket clip option.

gunga

Flashaholic
Hate the UI. Hate hold for on/off and those are really long times.

I'd prefer a mode between moon and 28 lumens, other levels are well chosen.

Other features are quite cool. Nice choice on battery type and LED.

GrainOfLight

Newly Enlightened
Hey, good to hear from Beautiful BC!

I totally understand your dislike of the UI.

We are have been experimenting with a few options.

Personally I prefer this following UI as it flows much better and I believe it is the one we are leaning towards if the campaign is successful :cool:

(0) all modes have memory, including moon
(1) single click for ON
(2) click to cycle through modes until low, mid, high, OFF
(3) hold for 1 second while off to access moon
(4) hold for 2 seconds while off to access SOS
(5) double click for high
(6) triple click for strobe

Always good to get feedback, really appreciate it!

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast

I co-sign all of Gunga's comments.

When your kid is making noise in the cradle but you don't want to wake up your wife, do you know how long 3.5 seconds is to be able to peek in with a moonlight beam?

It's about eternity, and you'll spend it vowing to get a better light.

Your second proposal is *much* better.

Sledgestone

Newly Enlightened
(1) single click for ON

Does this mean that you have to cycle through every mode to turn it of? If so I would prefer

Single click for ON
Hold to cycle through modes
Single click for OFF

The rest works for me.

superedge88

Newly Enlightened
(1) single click for ON

Does this mean that you have to cycle through every mode to turn it of? If so I would prefer

Single click for ON
Hold to cycle through modes
Single click for OFF

The rest works for me.
YES!!!