Looking for a flood in 18650 or 26650

cdf294

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading reviews but have finally hit information overload so now I am going to ask for some suggestions.

I would like to get opinions on what the best torch option might be for me, at a maximum cost of $150.
For my needs, I figure a flood is in order since I want to see what is immediately in front of and around me well- I don't currently need to know what is hundreds of yards ahead. I realize that my options and intensity grows exponentially if I wanted to use more than 1-2 18650's or a single 26650 but I don't think I really need a light that powerful nor do I want something that isn't fairly easy to carry. Ideally, I would like something that can be stuck in a pocket (if necessary) but it doesn't need to be a comfortable EDC size either. It will be used mostly in a camping/hiking after dark environment.

Of course if my needs require something other than a single battery 18650/26650 light, please say so since that is also useful info to me. I am looking to buy no more than 1 or 2 lights and I'm not scared to spend the money but I do need to ask for assistance to know that I am looking at the proper light for my needs since i'm new to the flashlight gig.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two lights that immediately come to mind when someone say s 'flood' are the Nitecore TM06 and the Olight SR Mini Intimidator II. Both lights are designed to be floody. They do have somewhat of a hot spot and reach out a ways just because of sheer lumens. I don't think either one would do as a pocket carry, but they should easily ride on a belt without being cumbersome.

Let us know what you select - feedback is always helpful and will help the next person asking.

BTW, :welcome:

chumley

Enlightened
The Fenix PD40 is quite floody and is smaller and lighter than the pop can lights. I got one on sale for $85 a few months ago.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Chumley mentions Fenix PD40 is a good floody 26650 light. But actually FD40 is great too, at the floodiest setting. And with a simple twist on the head you get pretty good throw for some occasions. But if you prefer nice neutral tint PD40 is the choice.

jedi_master

Newly Enlightened
You should look into Olight R50 Seeker. Very impressive wide and bright beam. Great for hiking and camping. You can search for reviews in this forum. Also, check out some YouTube videos.

I should add that Nitecore MH20 is a good compact 18650 light for hiking and camping. I personally carry a MH20GT (throwy version) when I walk around my neighbor.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
When hiking/camping, you should always have two lights on you after dark. One, might be a headlamp.

You didn't specify, how large an area you want to light up. IE, your personal space, or a 50 by 100 yard area.

I like cigar shaped lights, where the head, body and tail are the same diameter, such as the Thrunite TN12, Acebeam EC35, Fenix PD35, and the Convoy S2+. They are not throwers, and give a good general purpose beam.

I also like the Manker U11. It is smaller than any of those listed above, but with a slightly larger head. It has a beam that is a mix of flood and throw. It has a moonlight, that is good for looking at my watch to see what time it is without waking anyone else in the tent, or to find my boots, for that 3 AM potty run.

Any of the lights I mentioned will light your path nicely, and can reach out 150-200 feet, and don't have a blinding hot spot when used up close.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Lot of good responses above....
I personally went with Olight SR MINI and Niwalker MM18II for my flood lights.
You may find a first generation MM18II for under $150.00 (I did).

Lateck,

cdf294

Newly Enlightened
You didn't specify, how large an area you want to light up. IE, your personal space, or a 50 by 100 yard area.

You are correct that I failed to mention this. I wouldn't mind lighting up 75-100 yards. I do have a smaller, more appropriate light and lantern for close quarters and lower light campsite work. The purpose of the light I am looking for is pretty much to find my way in the dark and to insure I don't cross paths with any night critters without warning- it's not uncommon to encounter large feral pigs in Central Texas.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my question.
I have read reviews and watched videos of quite a few of the suggested options but needed to trim down the number of things I am looking at in order to make a decision.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is your intent to run at a low to medium level most of the time, and bump up to a high level only to check out more distant noises and shadows? If so, I'd wager a 1 x 18650 light is plenty for you. There are lots of 1 x 18650 lights capable of cranking close 1000 lumens for a few minutes at a time on their turbo mode, which is about 2/3 the brightness of a typical car headlight, and sustaining 100-200 lumens for hours.

Multiple 18650's or even a 26650 are for when you need to push the limits of output or achieve really high runtimes.

In case it helps with recommendations, what is your main light right now (or do you know its rated output?), and would you say it's moderately short of your expectations, or not even remotely close?