New Defiant lantern for 2016

Poppy

Flashaholic
The Home Depot has a new 4AA lantern out this year.
They call it the 250 lumen Handy Lantern
[h=2]Model # 99576[/h]
250 lumens, high and low, and a stupid blink.

I don't know how many leds are under the golf ball sized diffuser, but they sit inside the much larger quart bottle sized diffuser. Considering the not too high lumen output, and the rather large diffuser/s it probably doesn't produce too much glare. The battery compartment cover screws off, and it is protected by an O ring. I'd bet that this thing will float.

In the brightly lit store, I didn't try to examine the beam pattern, but considering that the led/s are positioned low in the lantern, I imagine that it will light a table pretty well. The tint is probably cool white.

J0G5a7lXpz59dk5VpBXESXZrvSI7B0mt3OgSTRwHQL1FaYJbZKy-_sNpLjZ8e9WBxsnISyg5JXYqzt4rYqp172HGruz4udmt4ElAD_tNHb12_JCHJT3JXvpcNQYqhdw60itYw10KGUiMhq9JrQYHZobSy92D7cUhKb45bxYir3aCx_lIwL-w6dc-SmKd0ylNVZ2M79DDlsFxtud8peM4mHerILjFMGoVmQYxx7N_YC6sQPyMfNhlfaRRhNEpZs0LYwLncfre3cFoEsfKyRGR7UDCo4KGhHdIEOfT5NJqCljSZpN6loxCETqK_thejedP1w6SonIQHvrWXqirvSKr6loJJtFKKZDy9UJTPNt4r3T6RuwXdAPKbIe_6ibC7Qk9JpPj0Hmd5AEnVLDCqn1pUe4G8K3IctCjL8T9dQ9WFvNhllVEv3q65kQF3A-1RPllb4jlDA2AVyIa4zGRRJxU9XCEVwP8WUJDGWzWC8sls7Cg6GPUwkWHkUbF3WvaNLLSJ1iyN8c4fhXSXnp_uPUIYwLFxnLnsIjtbHVNG0R0y6bPaBXjQ1hJ-SqeYLN8JuNl3W3lItUB1v47Xbtmeqak7_q98NbY6wxsYveI2_7I0b-4QOGj=w870-h770-no

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw these at HD the other day.....thought they might run on D cells, but they run on 4 AA's. Kind of big for a AA lantern, but lightweight. I really didn't like the strobe that you have to click through to turn it off (the switch is high-low-strobe-off)....I think the D cell Defiant lantern HD had last year worked the same way. They are attractive looking with a choice of colors.

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
OK, here are my thoughts and beam shots. As you guys noticed already, this thing is definitely big! Below is a comparison in size with comparable 3AA and 4AA lanterns.

sizecomp_zpsfd7bpaig.jpg

It's definitely light though and stable with the batteries in the base. Speaking of, the battery cover on mine was on so tight that I actually had to use one of those rubber jar lid grip things to open it (which takes no small amount of pride-swallowing to admit). As Poppy noted, it has an o-ring but I suspect this is more to keep moisture out of the battery compartment in general. I honestly don't believe it will really float, since the top and base look like they basically snap onto the globe and the do rotate a little around each other (I discovered this when I was trying to figure out how to get the battery cover off). I doubt a light splashing would hurt it, but I also don't believe it's even anywhere in the neighborhood of IPX4 (note that this is not mentioned anywhere on the label either).

batteries_zpsopvis6tn.jpg

Comes with a set of Defiant brand alkaleaks. One thing I think is really cool about this lantern is that the power button is just below the handle; one-handed operation! You guys also already noted that the UI is of the most basic sort. The strobe mode is completely pointless. What practical application could this have? Flash n' dash a bear? Confuse and disorient your potential rescuers?

inlow_zpsjzojnsg7.jpg

Low

inhigh_zps2erwmdzr.jpg

High

outlow_zpsopl533q4.jpg

Low

outhigh_zpsnced2zjx.jpg

High

If it's not actually 250 lumens on high, then it's at least pretty close. This thing is bright for a AA lantern! The large, diffuse capsule-like globe does a good job of distributing the light and it's not blinding, but lacking a hood I feel like it may still be too bright as a table light. Due to it's design though, you could hang it upside down from the folding hook in the base and it makes and excellent down light. I tried it just now and it not only threw plenty of light in all directions while being up out of eye line, but that the deadspot directly below the top and handle is pretty negligible.

Low mode is roughly 50% of high by my best estimate. This mode actually makes it an excellent table light, providing a good amount of light while being easier on the eyes. I used it a few times while walking back from the park where I took the above outside photos above, in places where I usually use my flashlight and it lit up the dark places well while being easy to hold in such a way that it didn't shine up into your face.

There's some obvious PWM on low, but it's not that noticeable unless you swing it back and forth. Tint is cool, but tolerable IMHO (no blueberry crap).

For a rock-bottom priced lantern I think it's pretty cool. It's certainly as "handy" as it's name would imply. Doesn't appear to be super rugged and I wouldn't expect it to be at this price. There are two faint vertical lines on either side of the globe (probably wiring) and some blobby shapes near the bottom of the globe but these don't create any noticeable artifacts in the beam. Not the size people typically think of as a backpacking lantern, but it's light enough that you could probably clip it onto the outside of your pack or if you have mesh pockets like I do on my pack, you could tuck into there.

Conclusion: Not a bad impulse buy for when you're in HD next. :whistle: Actually, these probably wouldn't be bad holiday gifts for your non-flashoholic or generally under-prepared friends and family either.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review - looks like it would make a half way decent lantern for power outages and car camping; though it didn't strike me as being all that rugged or water proof (might stand up to some light rain, but I wouldn't depend on it for more than that?).

Was hoping that HD would have another lantern or two for BF......last year I think they had a 3D Defiant and 4AA Energizer Pop-up lanterns. I got one of the pop-ups but the rubber handle strap broke the first day I used it (seems like HD got a bad batch as there were a bunch of people who had the same problem).

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son picked up one of these for me and it seems pretty decent for the money. I like the construction of the light with no flimsy handle to break and the switch in a handy spot for one handed use. The UI isn't that great with the annoying strobe but it is only $9.88. Not sure what kind of run time you will get but it is definitely a convenient lantern to grab in the spur of the moment. I think the 250 lumens is accurate,it has plenty of output. Even if it is not very efficient it works fine with eneloops so I can still avoid using alkaleaks although at that price it might be worth the risk.
I may try to pick up a couple more as the design works for me despite some obvious shortcomings. If it were $20> then I wouldn't have quite the same enthusiasm but for a cheap light I like it.

Illum

Flashaholic
I took a couple measurements on mine bought from home depot and honestly I think this form factor has more potential.

There appears to be only one emitter in these, its on the base. Operating it off of the bench supply on low power and I can only distinguish one bright square regardless of orientation or ambient settings

On high - Current consumption(Vin)
1.3A (6)
0.75A (5)
0.24A (4)
0.01 (3.3)

On low - Current consumption(Vin)
0.4A (6)
0.23A (5)
0.15A (4.5)
<0.01A (3.3)
Low also happened to have a bit of PWM, its detectable but not overly irritating.

Disassembly does not appear straightforward. I'm contemplating throwing mine on a band saw and see if modding is even feasible on a host of this nature.

What I like about it
Friendly design, no sharp edges, no parts that flies off during rough use, switch placement, handle placement, diffuser, the standby parasitic current drain is about 800uA

What I don't like about it
User interface and modes, lack of heatsink, massive glare on high, zero regulation, color temperature.

The fact that it draws 1.3A on AAs on high worries me.... so as of currently this lantern is running the carbon zinc batteries it came with.

edit: thread subscribed

Last edited: