I may have gone overboard - sense check needed :)

Daneel

Newly Enlightened
I haven't bought any flashlights for several years until yesterday, and the only one I did buy was a ~$15 Cree 3W thing, I don't really know the spec.

As it was black Friday, I decided to check out the sales, that led to me buying an LEDLenser T7M

Then I started reading, on Candlepowerforums, and Budgetlightforum, as well as browsing various sales. It dawned on me that the T7M I bought was on the heavy side, and in the middle performance wise at that size. That led to several more purchases:

- Acebeam E35 - Bright, reasonable size/weight, cool white
- Convoy S2+ L2 T6 - 4C - I probably wanted something smaller with neutral white
- Convoy S2+ 365nm Nichia UV - Because it looked cool :)

At that point I realised that all the new flashlights I'd just bought (except for the T7M) needed 18650 / CR123 batteries. Having read a bit I opted for the former, and bought this. Then I read some more, and figured out protected batteries were likely best for me, and that Samsung/Panasonic seems well respected at reasonable price points, so bought this, and this.

Finally, I figured a charger would be helpful, so after much reading, bought an XTAR VP2

Like I said, I may have gone overboard :) So at this point, I thought it might be helpful to check-in with those who know 100x more than me on this topic, and see what I screwed up on :)

Thoughts?

MAGA

Newly Enlightened
I just had a similar experience. I haven't purchased a light in a few years but dropped my Fenix PD32UE at work and it broke. That's when the fun began. I started looking for a replacement, reading CPF and watched a 100 YT videos. By the time all was said and done I picked up a Fenix PD32 2016, 2 Nitecore Tips (one for me and one for my girlfriend) an Olight Baton S1, Nitecore P12GT and an Olight X7. Also got a half dozen 18650's
I got bit by the bug pretty good but I think I'm all stocked up for a while.
Enjoy your new lights.

Daneel

Newly Enlightened
MAGA - You realise I'm now going through the list of flashlights you bought to see if anything catches my eye. The advice I was expecting was - you've bought a load of stuff, now wait until it arrives, and see what you use before buying anything else!

:)

parametrek

Enlightened
The T7M is normally a bit overpriced but $35 is alright. Gearbest batteries have been fakes sometimes. (And they are generally unpleasant to buy from.)

Welcome to the flashlight enthusiasts club and to the forum :)

Daneel

Newly Enlightened
Hi parametrek,

You look familiar :)

Any suggestions where to get batteries from / which to get (in case I have a problem with Gearbest?)

I've found the Convoy shop on Aliexpress, and can use Fasttech too. I think both have issues with sending batteries to the UK though.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-ion cells are super fun, but someone always will advise caution, I guess I'll do it... hey! make sure you get some basic safety instructions for Li-ion cell use and best practices, have some understanding how they can be dangerous and how such a situation might occur... and avoid abusing cells... and (more finger wagging)... protected cells can be just as dangerous as unprotected, so don't rely on a vague description of protection, have an idea of what that actually means, .... and don't forget to enjoy your flashlights!

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Daneel, welcome to CPF!

As this is not AA, none of us have a problem! [emoji38] Probably a great idea to let your stuff arrive before buying any more lights! That will teach you what you are looking for going forward. [emoji4]

For batteries I use Banggood. They still ship for free ( to Aust so I'm assuming the U.K. Is fine too ) but the door will close eventually on that.

Enjoy your new habit, I mean hobby! [emoji4]

Daneel

Newly Enlightened
Li-ion cells are super fun, but someone always will advise caution, I guess I'll do it... hey! make sure you get some basic safety instructions for Li-ion cell use and best practices, have some understanding how they can be dangerous and how such a situation might occur... and avoid abusing cells... and (more finger wagging)... protected cells can be just as dangerous as unprotected, so don't rely on a vague description of protection, have an idea of what that actually means, .... and don't forget to enjoy your flashlights!

Thanks for the advice chillinn. Any suggestions where I can ready up on Li-ion battery safety?

Thanks SG Hall :) Any particular batteries you would suggest from Banggood?

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Don't sweat it. I bought 2 of the old body Surefire Fury's (one to EDC and one to weapon mount) then ended up winning a contest and getting a free new body Fury, which I decided that I liked more so I bought two of the new body Furys. So unless I sell my old body Furys I have 5 ��

weez82

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice chillinn. Any suggestions where I can ready up on Li-ion battery safety?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Using-Li-ion-cells-in-LED-flashlights-safely

Also look in the other threads in the battery sub-forum for lots of useful info. Its all safe as long as you get quality stuff and dont over discharge/over charge the batteries and dont mix different battery sizes and voltages :)

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast

The batteries that you want to start with should be a basic Panasonic cell probably. A high capacity cell like the NCR18650G is a good choice. For starters I would use protected cells. Down the track you might switch to unprotected cells as they allow higher drain and open you up to cells like LG, Samsung and Sony for high performance lights. There are some things to be wary of, so read up first.

I suggest reading up a bit on HKJs website. Just google it. It will give you test results on good and bad cells, and give you an idea about what goes into a good cell, and what properties that you need. I buy Samsung 30Qs from Banggood and have found them to be great cells at a great price. They are unprotected though.

Do some reading and come back with any questions that you have. Good luck. :)

Daneel

Newly Enlightened
I knew it was going to get worse! In the past two weeks:

- Thrunite T10T
- Thrunite T01
- Eagle Eye X2R x 2 - Thought they'd make good Christmas presents
- CooYoo Quantum AL Cree XP G2
- Manker U11
- Convoy C8 XP-L HI
- JAXMAN E2 (Nichia 219B)
- Convoy S2+ 3B
- Convoy S2+ 5B
- Liitokala lii-500 charger
- Eagle Eye X5R U2 3C

I really like the S2+ I have so I thought I'd try another couple of tints. The S2+ 365nm is great, and I discovered that my glasses do a very good job of blocking UV. The VP2 works really well, and those batteries I bought seem solid so far (I bought the new charger partly so I can test them). The T7M is fine, the zoom is kinda handy for a one tool to do all jobs light. Only two brightness levels isn't great though.

I'm still waiting for the E35 :(

Oh, I also picked up a UNI-T UT139C. Just in case :)

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see you found nichia. Once you get the jaxman in and fall in love with it you will rebuy your entire collection, without selling any of them, to be all nichia lights. Then you will start looking at other high CRI options and buying them just to test and have.

Welcome to the party

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! The progression & confession of a budding Flashaholic. Soon, you will likely be buying one light that will cost more than all the lights you have bought up to this point! lol Welcome aboard. Looks like you are having fun. Check out the Astrolux S41 (if you haven't already bought one) :) It is a pretty cool light. Another fun light is the EagleTac D25 A or C. Fun lights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ha! The progression & confession of a budding Flashaholic. Soon, you will likely be buying one light that will cost more than all the lights you have bought up to this point! lol Welcome aboard. Looks like you are having fun. Check out the Astrolux S41 (if you haven't already bought one) :) It is a pretty cool light. Another fun light is the EagleTac D25 A or C. Fun lights.

Wait until the day OP uses portion of the light collection to makes shapes for avatars... at that point the word overboard may apply but.... should be replaced "too late to turn back now"
Meanwhile I recently wore some nib Airwalk '19oz' sneakers to the company Christmas party. The decal had long since lost its sticky-ness.

Daneel; may the first "expensive" light be a SureFire G2x Pro...tan.

Daneel

Newly Enlightened
SureFire G2x Pro...tan.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that light is for me. It looks like something very resilient you buy for emergencies. I'm an office worker living in London, hopefully I won't have need for such a thing :)

The EagleTax D25A/C, I'm not sure what justifies the price over other lights with similar abilities - what am I missing here?

The Astrolux A41 / Manker E14 does look very cool, but I'm managing to resist so far!

I did go and buy another Jaxman E2 though, 4k tint, just so I have both that and the 5.7K

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The EagleTax D25A/C, I'm not sure what justifies the price over other lights with similar abilities - what am I missing here?"
I guess it depends on which model you checked out. The Titanium one can have a higher price tag. But, I have picked up the Ti version for under $35 new. Just have to shop around.

Daneel

Newly Enlightened
Here's what's arrived so far:

nHDVxPm.jpg

From left to right:
LED Lenser T7M - I should have listened and skipped this. It's large, and not particularly bright. Nothing wrong with it per se, just better options available for less money
Acebeam EC35 CW - I like quite a bit. Nice brightness spread, and I don't mind the tint. The tail cap is a bit tight though, not as smooth as many of the cheaper lights.
Eagle Eye X5R U2-3C(5000K) - Great value for money. Has USB charging over the EC35, but no moonlight mode and doesn't go as bright (might be a CW vs NW thing). I'm a bit concerned about putting a protected battery in this, it's very tight.
Convoy S2+ T6-4C (4400K) - Love it. The metal clicker is great. The glowing o-ring is weird!
Convoy S2+ UV365 Nichia - No idea what I'll use this for beyond novelty but it's a powerful UV light.
Jaxman E2 Nichia (4000K) - Not loving this as much as I thought I would. The colour differences are certainly there though.
Manker U11 (5000K) - I really like the U11. It's a great size, small, but comfortable in the hand. Good performance and features. The only downside is build isn't perfect, the tail cap is tight.
Thrunite T10T (NW) - Very nice indeed. Great build, though a little heavy. I bought a second one of these for my father.
Thrunite T01(NW) - Good, but I'm finding one mode limiting. I thought this was going to be my EDC on my key chain but then...
CooYoo Quantum AL - I love this. So small, USB charging, two very useful brightness levels. This is my EDC.

Then there's the two chargers and 16 batteries, but they aren't very interesting to look at :)

And then there's what's still to arrive:
Convoy C8 clear
Eagle Eye X2R
Eagle Eye X6
Eagle Eye X7
Convoy S2+ T6-3B
Convoy S2+ U2 1A
Jaxman E2 Nichia (5700K)
Lumintop Tool AL
Utorch UT01

So far I've held off the more extreme lights (Thrunite TN42, Convoy L2/L6), let's hope it stays that way!

Last edited: