The Fenix-Store        

Thread: Jet III Pro - ST is failing

Flashaholic*

Default Jet III Pro - ST is failing

I thought I'd ask this question here as much for any help I can get from users as from the company itself.

I bought my Jet III Pro-ST about 8 or so years ago.

It has been great all that time. It was never my primary light, so I never did put that much time on it, but I found it very useful for lots of situations and I don't want to lose it.

So the deal is; about a couple of weeks ago, I noted that the highest brightness setting would only emit would could generously be called a "moon glow" in intensity.
    Of course my first thought was to change out the battery, but it did the same and I thought maybe I had simply grabbed another low battery.
    So I MADE SURE that I had a couple of freshly charged 18650's on hand, but with either of them, I could only get that moonglow look out of the light at it's brightest setting
    Note that I could still cycle through the 3 brightness settings. The lowest setting yielded just a barely lit LED, the middle a little more, and the brightest being a moonglow brightness.

This light is way beyond warranty and I doubt if it's worth it to send it back, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what component in the circuitry I could check to see if replacing it would fix the problem.
    Something is failing for sure, I just would like a push in the right direction as to where to look.

Anyone?

Default Re: Jet III Pro - ST is failing

It's either your switch or the driver.
    To check the switch, take off the tailcap and short the -ve side of the battery to the body (to an unanodised bit). If the led lights up properly it's your switch. Otherwise it's probably the driver that has failed.
    I can see from this review
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...HOTOS-and-more!
    that you can take the tailcap apart so if it's the switch there's a good chance of an easy fix. It's more complicated but eminently doable to replace the driver. If you don't feel up to it there's a few people here who are able.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Flashaholic*

Thanks, but I had already shorted the batt to the body to bypass the switch, and the light is still dim. That was the simple part.
    Do you know where I might get the correct driver?
    If I can acquire it, I can probably replace it myself. I've done some micro electronic stuff before.

Check out drivers on Mountain Electronics.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Flashaholic*

Will do. Thanks.

Unenlightened

Hi Zenster/Others,

Were you able to buy something from Blue Mountain Electronics that fixed it? I believe I have the same problem. It's exhibiting this moon glow or very lot light output. (Same light, Jetbeam III Pro).