Lithium 1 million candlepower lights - need advice

astrilt1

Newly Enlightened
The Brinkman takes 2 123s with a xenon bulb while the no-name takes 3 123s with a krypton bulb. Personally I would pick the Brinkman because it's a well known brand so you know you'll be getting quality plus the bulb is better. However, the 3 123s will be able to supply more power to the bulb, so it may be brighter, but who knows what the beam will look like. For a safer bet, I would go with the Streamlight TL-3 if you want a 3 123 light.

UEXplorer

Newly Enlightened
Well I'll be exploring tunnels with the light I get, so the most powerful light is definitly the one of choice. If the 1 million candlepower takes 3 123s does that mean it will be brighter?

UEXplorer

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
neither of those lights are anywhere near 1 million candlepower..

get the Legend LX.

[/ QUOTE ]

SURE they will -- from an inch away!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha! f'real!
the light was measured in the world's smallest integrating sphere! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy one just to get the Lithium ION batteries, or so they say, would this be false advertising or what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Quote:
"With the 1 Million-Candle Power Flashlight, you never need to worry! With two modes of operation, simply twist for constant light, or pulse by pressing the rubber button on its end. This little workhorse provides light from its three lithium ion batteries (included)."

TheFire

Enlightened
Neither of those lights are going to be compatible with the Lithium Ion rechargeable cells. I think (as a fellow UE enthusiast) that you probably want to start with a SureFire G2 (~$30). Since those are difficult to obtain at the moment (supply shortage), another option would be the Pelican M6 (which is readily available and also ~$30). I believe that either of the aforementioned lights will fit your bill quite nicely. The 1mCP light is obviously not that, and is probably not robust and sturdy enough for the kind of use you'll be putting your light through, anyway. I think (for starters) you probably want to go with non li-ion rechargeable lights, mainly because they're cheaper and easier to deal with. Once you find yourself not thinking too much of spending more than a hundred bucks on batteries, you can start thinking about rechargeables.

BTW, Lithium and lithium ion are NOT the same. The lithium 123 batteries we're talking about are non-rechargeable, while lithium-ion batteries are rechargeable (and are usually much more expensive). The spot where the 1mCP light says it comes with lithium ion batteries is obviously a false claim and increases my skepticism of it's output claims (which are really physically impossible, with today's technology).

The PM6 is a nice light, and has slightly more throw than the G2 (when focused) but has a slightly less nice switching mechanism (in my opinion). Both make great first "real" lights, great "beater" lights, and both provide ample amounts of illumination for what you'll probably be doing. (Just as an example, the PM6 provided more than enough light for the exploration of an entire aircraft carrier, which has some very large spaces, especially the flight deck).

In addition to one of these lights, I would also recommend getting a madmax sandwich from the sandwich shoppe ( www.anlighten.com/shop ). This will provide you with a secondary light that is still quite bright (you'll end up using it more than the really bright light) but that runs on cheap, easily available batteries (works well on rechargeable NiMH cells, too). And when it gets dinged up from being dropped in cruddy water, thrown out windows, etc. you just replace the minimag body with a new one and poof! you have a nice looking light again.

The thing you really want to remember is that for doing tunnels (and actually, for most things) you really don't need the absolutely brightest light you can afford. What usually ends up happening is that your eyes adjust to whatever light you're using, so you end up seeing about as much (in most situations) with the drop-in sandwich light as you do with the PM6, because with the dimmer light, your eyes adjust more efficiently.

Ok, a recap:
Don't buy either of the lights you mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

Get a Pelican M6, and as a secondary light, I strongly recommend a sandwich from the sandwich shoppe, preferably on top of rechargeable NiMH batteries.

-Paul

p.s. oh, and welcome to the board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

UEXplorer

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the advice. I think I'll go with a Pelican. Maybe I'll really splurge and get a legend too. I have an ever growing collection of lights as it is, but to date I have nothing lithium.

UEXplorer

TheFire

Enlightened
Pelican = good choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

At the risk of sounding repetative (and not knowing your goals with the light), but if you're going to go for a secondary luxeon light (especially with UE in mind), I really recommend you go to a minimag dropin. It's a little more expensive up front, but the peace of mind in knowing that if you screw up the body, it's easy to replace is really worth the extra.

You'll really like the Pelican, especially if it's your first lithium light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck! (btw, what area are you in?)

UEXplorer

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm in a lot of drains, looking at maybe some subways - and very rarely buildings. I always like the brightness, and I don't like the light all concentrated in one area like the Predator Headlamp. So far the only light that has proven bright enough is Big Garrity 1 million spot, but its a spotlight and its kind of a hassle to carry as a primary light, especially with about 20 minutes of runtime. As for secondary lights right now I use the Impact 2 and I carry a Ptec 40 as well.

This will indeed be my first lithium light, and I'm from Oakland, CA.

Thanks again for the advice.

TheFire

Enlightened
I think you'll like the PM6.

I've thought about carrying a spot, but it's really not useful, especially with the short runtime and completely crazy form factor. What I'm building for my 'really-super-bright-burn-their-retinas-out' light is a 3D m@glight, modified to include a Perfect Mag Reflector (PMR) and a Welch Allyn 01185 bulb run on 9 or 10 NiMH AA batteries. I think with this setup, I should be able to get at least 500 Lumens out the front, quite possibly closer to 1000.

I'm based in Walnut Creek (as you can see from my profile). Let me tell you, there's not much interesting infrastructure here... I'm sure there's a lot more in Oakland.

Anyway, have fun, stay safe!

phyhsuts

Enlightened
UEXplorer - There is no way you are going to get the AMOUNT of light from a spotlight as from a 2- or 3 Lithiun cell flashlight. The battery will not last very long. If you must, try this on for size! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Puts out 3200lm of light, runs for 2 hours on a charge, sure sounds like it fits your bill.