skyrc mc3000 (help build!) quick reference guide to programs

mildlyangryjohnny

Newly Enlightened
hello. seems as though there should be some reference materials, in the form of, example programs. Perhaps, a place where new users can go to copy a program and then modify that program as needed, or at least until one has a better appreciation and understanding of the machine. I have spent much more time than seems necessary trying to learn how to do what should be a simple function. :fail: because of the variability and the capability of this machine, it is understood that a comprehensive guide cannot cover all of it's potential/ function. however, being as though we all learn differently it might be nice to spend that $125, and be able to get under way out of the box without having to spend an exorbitant amount of time searching the web, this forum and others trying to find a program list for the operation I wish to perform, or puzzling over the manual. so for example, an analogy: guitar players who use amp modelers to process various guitar tones, can go to a forum or manufacturer website and download patches for their amp modeler, i.e. eddie van halen guitar sound patch. country guitar sound patch. metallica rhythm patch. etc. then one can use those patch parameters straight--for instance to replicate tones for a cover band, or modify them to develop new sounds--WITHOUT HAVING TO BUILD THE MACHINE from the ground up. I am exaggerating, of course.:laughing:

so far, in the various resources available here, there are 100's of pages of opinions, observations, and questions, but no seemingly singular source for "example program setups" or "setting up program scenarios". so you cannot use this charger to analyze a battery out of the box unless you know specific details about every parameter--for fear of damaging the battery or starting a fire. the manual may very well be useful to some, but it is in engineer-ese and I find myself having some difficulty putting it all together confidently. I found a similar thread, with someone asking to share settings. this would be outstanding. there were only 2 solutions. if there is such a cumulative reference point, please mention it. (sifting through 100's of pages of text is not a cumulative reference point in my opinion. a no nonsense list, however, most certainly is.) if there is not such a list, let's make one. what would be exceedingly helpful to those sharing my frustration would be comments stating: (example) sony 18650vct5a I used advanced settings menu, and I used the following settings to test this battery's capacity... basen 26650 black/gold 60a/4500mah I used advanced settings menu, so I could do such and such and I used these settings. efest... and so on and so forth.

I have several chargers and hundreds of batteries, mainly li-ion, some nimh. the mc3000 was purpose bought to test batteries, save batteries, refresh others and so on. I mainly wish to test my li-ions. 18650's, 26650's, 16340's, 10440's specifically. they are all quality cells, from reputable sources but I wish to confirm mah. I also have a fair stable of eneloops, but their utility is less worrisome. as my flashlight collection grows I want better batteries. and when I find a new dealer I want to be able to confirm specs.

thank you. !
-maj

I cannot be the only one looking for this resource. :candle:

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: skyrc mc3000 quick reference guide to programs

Here's my take on my MC3000:

I got this charger, thinking all the while, that hey, since I have been already using my iCharger hobby charger for years, this can't be no more complicated to use and program than using 4 separate hobby chargers in one housing.

Oh boy, how completely wrong I was. I tried using one bay just to get to a cell's discharge capacity out of the box, and oh, this thing will test your memory power and patience to the hilt. IMHO, you have to be some sort of masochist to subject yourself to such complexity, haha.

So until now my MC3000 is still in its box, waiting for the time I will gather enough patience and strength to finally conquer this thing.

Meanwhile, I'm back to my simple-to-use but just as capable iCharger, Opus, C9000 and Xtars.

mildlyangryjohnny

Newly Enlightened

Bam. Exactly, my point. Like the analogy i gave with the amp modelers. As a musician, you acquire gear and more gear and it isn't super awesome to have to learn proprietary code and settings for each new piece equipment. Some of the equipment is so vastly comprehensive to dial in a setting is really overwhelming. But some of the time there is a location usually user fed that you can go to borrow, add and adapt other people's successes. That is what i am hoping might happen with this machine/ thread. At least in th form of a list to start and maybe later on adapted into firmware updates. But in the meantime maybe some of the older...err, which is to say elder users could help out the new guys. And we could build a comprehensive list of dialed in settings. The trouble is the guys who have the information probably wont visit this thread because they already have everything setup. It's only going to be populated by us lost in the ether.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bam. Exactly, my point. Like the analogy i gave with the amp modelers. As a musician, you acquire gear and more gear and it isn't super awesome to have to learn proprietary code and settings for each new piece equipment. Some of the equipment is so vastly comprehensive to dial in a setting is really overwhelming. But some of the time there is a location usually user fed that you can go to borrow, add and adapt other people's successes. That is what i am hoping might happen with this machine/ thread. At least in th form of a list to start and maybe later on adapted into firmware updates. But in the meantime maybe some of the older...err, which is to say elder users could help out the new guys. And we could build a comprehensive list of dialed in settings. The trouble is the guys who have the information probably wont visit this thread because they already have everything setup. It's only going to be populated by us lost in the ether.

Yeah, very fitting analogy.

And that mega thread with a ton of views and more 4,000 posts is not much of help either, with a big percentage of the thread not about how nice, easy-to-use and supposed to be the best at its price, but unfortunately about bugs, etc.

Hey, my Opus can do perhaps at least 85% of what the MC3000 can. And if I want fancy graphs, I just plug my iCharger to my pc and bam, the Logview takes care of it, no reported cable incompatibility, etc., etc.

mildlyangryjohnny

Newly Enlightened

Actually, fear of being scolded and sent to that mega thread, with someone saying with index finger extended, "we covered that post 233, 547, 906, 1322, 1946..., ..." frankly, is why i crafted my thoughts the way i did.

My philosophy teacher used to tell me "keep it simple stupid." I am really hoping for a bullet point presentation but i will settle for a list. Maybe it will build.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, fear of being scolded and sent to that mega thread, with someone saying with index finger extended, "we covered that post 233, 547, 906, 1322, 1946..., ..." frankly, is why i crafted my thoughts the way i did.

My philosophy teacher used to tell me "keep it simple stupid." I am really hoping for a bullet point presentation but i will settle for a list. Maybe it will build.

Hahahahahaha..you did not only hit the nail in the head, but also the hardwood on where the nail is stuck!

Oh yes, why can't they keep it simple, stupid ??? and would have sold a lot, lot more should most people rave about it.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

qq033mhuzg.gif

mildlyangryjohnny

Newly Enlightened

qq033mhuzg.gif

That was adorable.

if i am not mistaken i may have heard someone drop a microphone from about chest high.

Now that we have gotten that out of the way.

please calm your insecurities and be a mentor. some of us are looking for shortcuts to actually using this machine, instead of simply drooling at it. practical. Real time hand-holding. Maybe even a hug.

even though your post wasn't super helpful i want to thank you for participating. it is insight like that that gives me hope.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

First of all, you may want to get absolutely familiar with the Backup&Restore functionality of DEX. This way you have at least some sort of (encoded/decoded) backup of your manually (on your device) entered programs:

dex328fw112worksdkj6v.gif

The <Clipboard> button allows you to copy the full set of settings of a particular program and paste it to a TXT file or paste it here in your thread.

Secondly, if you want to "just charge" a battery, then you could go into Dummy UI Mode. The most essential parameter for charging is the charge rate measured in amps. For any good quality 26650 battery you could set a nominal charge rate of 2amps. Hit <ENTER> and the charger does the rest. In Advanced UI Mode you'll notice that, depending on the operation mode, not all listed SPV options are available. Try for example Discharge. Most options are fixed OFF and you cannot access them. The tooltip of DEX, see above, takes that circumstance into account: it lists only the options which can be set for a particular operation mode. Or you use Simple UI Mode. It lists the essential SPV options only.

Feel free to paste your program (for a particular battery you own) into this thread and we will discuss if the settings are fine to proceed with.

mildlyangryjohnny

Newly Enlightened

"... you may want to get absolutely familiar with the Backup&Restore functionality of DEX. ...
Feel free to paste your program (for a particular battery you own) into this thread and we will discuss if the settings are fine to proceed with...."

thank you for trying to help, but what you are suggesting is outside the scope of this thread. let me explain why. first of all, mc3000 (currently) ships with firmware 1.03. for reasons oblivious to me, I cannot update the firmware. as best I can tell, the firmware is limited to an obsolete windows version and is not compatible with my 8.1. one cannot run your dex program with 1.03 firmware. moreover, I am not looking to experiment and then talk to the teacher and see how I am doing. and frankly, this is not the useful-out-of-the-box scenario I thought it had purchased--and what we are now trying to patch and rectify. no one who bought this charger bought it to simply charge batteries. :shakeheadthat can be done with what is already in ones closet. or for a 15$.

the purpose of this thread is not really for discussion, (especially) of the engineer level minutia. that has a very happy existence in other threads.

however, your suggestion to use dex would simplify the sharing procedure for the experienced users to provide a screenshot of a program, to simplify a format in which to share program level information. but again, slightly outside the scope of this document. that said, if someone familiar with the dex wants to provide a screenshot with program level information--then that is perfect.

there are other places for all of the excess language and words and discussion and feelings and nonsense. this is intended to be a quick reference guide for someone who just bought this machine expecting to test their batteries and finding out after the return period has expired that this charger/ analyzer requires college courses. this was not the expectation. most definitely not the expectation. shame on me, I get that. but I am also thinking about the next guy who wasn't warned that this charger requires a committee to operate. :oops:

in my experience there are entirely different ways of visualizing reality and learning about it. designers, engineers, fabricators and end-users all have different approaches, and levels, to problems, and their solutions. the intention of this document is to eliminate all of that language, so that when a new end-user wishes to set up his machine for the first time, he does not have to sift through 2 miles of text documents to find out there is no simple solution to his problem. instead, he/ she can 'google mc3000 program' and sift through a handful of links and hopefully see this thread "quick reference guide" click it and immediately be immersed with programs, where all he/ she has to do is punch in the parameters relevant to the battery and operation they want to perform. once this immersion has begun then we can move on to more advanced variability, independently, and then use the other threads for reference. or if one wishes to view the entire inception, birth and development of this charger. I don't. I just don't. I appreciate the amount of time that others have invested into this unit. I am a fabricator, I make stuff. I know how involved building something can be. I appreciate that at a fundamental core spiritual level.

however, I paid my money. I just want to test my flippin' batteries.:hairpull:

so with that said, it appears that there are 2 useful paths. first of all, for the more advanced users who are familiar with DEX, your suggestion of a

[prefaced with: description of battery. chemistry, size, listed mah, etc. then]:

(1). DEX screenshot of a program is an outstanding idea. (thank you kreisl):twothumbs
(2) copy and paste the following into your post and add your settings:

[ADVANCED MODE]
program [xx]

***COPY/ PASTE INTO YOUR POST AND ADD YOUR SETTINGS***

BATT TYPE:
MODE:
CAPACITY:
C. CURRENT:
D. CURRENT:
C. RESTING:
D.RESTING:
CYCLE COUNT:
CYCLE MODE:
TARGET VOLT:
TERMINATION:
RESTART VOLT:
D. REDUCE:
CUT VOLT:
CUT TEMP:
CUT TIME:
SAVE TO:

easy peasy. I hope I have narrowed the focus a bit. I do appreciate, as do others, the contributions you have made in moving this charger forward.
-maj

mildlyangryjohnny

Newly Enlightened

"...An A5 size cheat sheet you can print out and laminate would be great. - John..."

yes! this is more in line with what /we/ are looking for.

Last edited:

billcushman

Enlightened

This information is now almost a year old, but it may be helpful to get new users started.

The MC3000 is very easy to use after you create a few programs. The default values are OK most of the time. I suggest that you select ENELOOP STD AA and AAA for NiMh AA and AAA. The values are OK for most all AA and AAA NiMh. For 18650s select LiIon. The default values are OK. Scroll thru the values but you don't need to change any. You can easily set up programs to charge 18650 LiIon and NiMh AA and AAA. If you change charge to discharge on the first three programs you can now discharge the same batteries. You will then have six programs.

PROGRAMMING AND USING THE SKYRC MC3000

Push and hold the Stop Button to enter Global Setup View (GSV).. Select Advanced Mode if it is not selected. Set any other parameters you desire while in the GSV. Push and hold Enter to save. Go to GSV again to review your settings and make sure they are saved.

With no batteries in the charger, decide what chemistry batteries you want to use. I chose Li-Ion, Eneloop and NiMH. Push Slot Number Button 1 (SNB 1) . Select Program 1 using the Up and Down Arrow buttons. Click Enter. Scroll down thru all the programmable parameters. Write a program for one chemistry, for example Li-Ion Charge. Review all items until you reach the bottom of the list. Push and hold the Enter Button. The program will be saved as Program 1.
After that is done, push SNB 1 and select Program 2 using the UP Arrow Button. Change the program to some new characteristics, maybe Discharge rather than Charge. Review and if necessary change any other parameter until you reach the last item. Push and hold the Enter Button. The program will be saved as Program 2.

Continue this method for any additional programs of that chemistry.

Press SNB 1 and go to the next Program Number. Select a new chemistry, and change the program for the new chemistry and characteristics desired. Push and hold Enter. The program will be saved to the specified program number.

Continue this method until you have created all the programs you desire.

To see what the various programs do, with no batteries in the slots, push SNB 1. One program will appear. You can now scan thru all your programs by pushing the Up and Down Arrow buttons. Enough information is normally displayed so you can tell what each program number does without scanning the program.

Once you learn how to do this, you will be able to create six or more programs in just a few minutes, and you can tell what the programs do by scanning thru the programs. I suggested that you used Advanced mode to have the most parameters available..

Once you have all the programs you need and you can identify the program numbers easily, the MC3000 is very easy to use.

Push the Slot Number Button 1. Push the Up and Down Arrow buttons to select the desired program number. Enough program information is displayed to identify the program properties (Li-Ion/Charge, NiMh/Discharge, etc).

Click the Enter Button. Scroll down to the last item on the page (it should be the program number).

Click on the Up Arrow Button (the last item should now read slots).

Push and Hold Enter. The selected program is now saved to all Slots.

Insert batteries in the slots you plan to use.

Click the Enter Button. Processing is displayed and the desired operation begins on the installed batteries

You should now have some useful programs and be able to easily use the MC3000.

Benediction

Newly Enlightened

For NIMH batteries:
Here are some programs

PROGRAM #1 (below) - If you just want to CHARGE a NIMH battery: Mostly this would be for a small capacity aaa cell.
This one below will charge at 430 mAh (or .43A same thing)
The following things (below) will stop the charging - If the voltage reaches 1.5v, if the voltage stays "the same" for, maybe, 5 minutes, or the entire charge time exceeds 3 hours (180 min).
After charging the MC3000 will "twiddle its fingers" for 15 minutes.

PROGRAM #2 (below) - This program will drain a battery using a load of 300mAh (or 0.30A), until it has reached 0.90 volts.
Then - while keeping voltage at 0.9, it will continue drawing charge from the cell from 0.29A until the drawing power (the load) reaches 0.03A - which is "practically totally drained", but gentle.
Why - if you have a battery (cell) which has seen many cycles and you want to start with a fresh - empty cell. There are several posts here on CPF about attempting to refurbish a many cycled cell.

PROGRAM #3 (below)- This programwill Cycle a Cell. Once. Beginning with draining. I refer to this as a "Gentle" cycle.
Pros: It does not over-drain a cell and it does not overcharge (both of which damages them) - you will get more overall cycles out of a cell using this.
Cons: If you use the cell immediately it will have a tiny bit less stored charge than other charging methods. However if the cell were to be unused for 24 hours, you probably would find no difference in stored charge.
While draining: it will drain using a load of 1000mAh (or 1.00A), until it has reached 1.10 volts. It will then drain from there, keeping V at 1.10, reducing the load until it reaches 0.30A.
While charging: it will stop either when voltage reaches 1.49 or if the voltage stays "the same" ( 0dv ) for, maybe, 5 minutes. A small # of battery brands don't reach 1.49 but 0dv will end charging for those. Note: I used 1.05A for charge, because ever 20 seconds the MC3000 stops for 1 to 2 seconds to check voltage. Over 1+ hours 1.05 will average out as 1.00.

PROGRAM #1
BATT TYPE: NiMH
MODE: Charge
CAPACITY: 1600mAh
C.CURRENT: 0.43A
D.CURRENT: OFF
C.RESTING: 15min
D.RESTING: OFF
CYCLE COUNT: OFF
CYCLE MODE: OFF
TARGET VOLT: 1.50V
DELTA PEAK: 0dV
TRICKLE C.: OFF
TRICKLE TIME: OFF
RESTART VOLT: OFF
D.REDUCE: OFF
CUT VOLT: OFF
CUT TEMP: 45°C
CUT TIME: 180min

PROGRAM #2
MODE: Discharge
CAPACITY: OFF
C.CURRENT: OFF
D.CURRENT: -0.30A
C.RESTING: OFF
D.RESTING: 15min
TARGET VOLT: OFF
DELTA PEAK: OFF
D.REDUCE: -0.03A
CUT VOLT: 0.90V
CUT TIME: OFF

PROGRAM #3
MODE: Cycle
CAPACITY: 2100mAh
C.CURRENT: 1.05A
D.CURRENT: -1.00A
D.RESTING: 5min
CYCLE COUNT: 1
CYCLE MODE: D>C
TARGET VOLT: 1.49V
D.REDUCE: -0.30A
CUT VOLT: 1.10V

Last edited:

cpa

Newly Enlightened

For NIMH batteries:
Here are some programs

PROGRAM #1 (below) - If you just want to CHARGE a NIMH battery: Mostly this would be for a small capacity aaa cell.
This one below will charge at 430 mAh (or .43A same thing)
The following things (below) will stop the charging - If the voltage reaches 1.5v, if the voltage stays "the same" for, maybe, 5 minutes, or the entire charge time exceeds 3 hours (180 min).
After charging the MC3000 will "twiddle its fingers" for 15 minutes.

PROGRAM #2 (below) - This program will drain a battery using a load of 300mAh (or 0.30A), until it has reached 0.90 volts.
Then - while keeping voltage at 0.9, it will continue drawing charge from the cell from 0.29A until the drawing power (the load) reaches 0.03A - which is "practically totally drained", but gentle.
Why - if you have a battery (cell) which has seen many cycles and you want to start with a fresh - empty cell. There are several posts here on CPF about attempting to refurbish a many cycled cell.

PROGRAM #3 (below)- This programwill Cycle a Cell. Once. Beginning with draining. I refer to this as a "Gentle" cycle.
Pros: It does not over-drain a cell and it does not overcharge (both of which damages them) - you will get more overall cycles out of a cell using this.
Cons: If you use the cell immediately it will have a tiny bit less stored charge than other charging methods. However if the cell were to be unused for 24 hours, you probably would find no difference in stored charge.
While draining: it will drain using a load of 1000mAh (or 1.00A), until it has reached 1.10 volts. It will then drain from there, keeping V at 1.10, reducing the load until it reaches 0.30A.
While charging: it will stop either when voltage reaches 1.49 or if the voltage stays "the same" ( 0dv ) for, maybe, 5 minutes. A small # of battery brands don't reach 1.49 but 0dv will end charging for those. Note: I used 1.05A for charge, because ever 20 seconds the MC3000 stops for 1 to 2 seconds to check voltage. Over 1+ hours 1.05 will average out as 1.00.

PROGRAM #1
CAPACITY: 1600mAh
C.CURRENT: 0.43A
D.CURRENT: OFF
D.RESTING: OFF
TARGET VOLT: 1.50V
D.REDUCE: OFF
CUT VOLT: OFF
CUT TIME: 180min

PROGRAM #2
MODE: Discharge
CAPACITY: OFF
C.CURRENT: OFF
D.CURRENT: -0.30A
C.RESTING: OFF
D.RESTING: 15min
TARGET VOLT: OFF
DELTA PEAK: OFF
D.REDUCE: -0.03A
CUT VOLT: 0.90V

PROGRAM #3
MODE: Cycle
CAPACITY: 2100mAh
C.CURRENT: 1.05A
D.CURRENT: -1.00A
D.RESTING: 5min
CYCLE COUNT: 1
CYCLE MODE: D>C
TARGET VOLT: 1.49V
D.REDUCE: -0.30A
CUT VOLT: 1.10V

Very very very useful!!!... Thank you very much. I would like to see more post like this.

:)

jjbond

Newly Enlightened

Very very very useful!!!... Thank you very much. I would like to see more post like this.

:)

AWESOME!!!! Thank you... I wish more people would post their settings, it would help us new to the 3000 a lot..

Jen

dudeDima

Newly Enlightened
Well. Here is my program to charge NiZn PKCELL 900mWh battery.
I tried a lot of configurations and seems only this one charge correctly and fully (yes, with lowest current).
BATT TYPE: NiZn
CAPACITY: 600mAh
C.CURRENT: 0.05A
TARGET VOLT: 1.9V
TERMINATION CURRENT: 0.01A
RESTING AFTER CHARGE: 0min
RESTART VOLTAGE: 1.88V