Imalent        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Test/review of Charger Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon

Flashaholic

Default Re: Test/review of Charger Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon

Thanks for all the reviews you do HKJ its very much appreciated

Enlightened

I got this charger recently and have tried the voltages/IR feature on a few new and old LiIon cells. On one of anolder cell I get a 4.11 voltage reading but the IR does not give a reading and just has the 3 dash marks. Other cells I’ve tried give actual number readings. How do I interpret this “ 3 dash “ reading or can one interpret this?

Also, is there any magic IR level after which you should not use the cell or is it is if it just gets too hot to the touch upon charging, recycle it? Hope these are not stupid questions.

I still have an Xtar VP4 that I really like but it won’t charge at 1A level anymore, just .5 and .25A. Really do like this new one.

Thanks!

I've had my Dragon for a couple of months now. I like it so much, I'm considering a second one.

I've just got some Eneloops and thought I'd run a Refresh cycle on them. The Dragon seems to do a Charge, Discharge, Charge cycle on Refresh as well as Test. Anyone else noticed this?

Forget that, I see Henrik says it does a 10 min charge on NiMh before starting the Discharge.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 04-11-2018 at 02:17 AM.
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Question, can I leave Eneloops in the charger after being charged? Or should I remove them immediately to avoid overcharging? Thank you.
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Flashlights are cheaper than therapy.

Flashaholic*

If I read the review correctly, Eneloops receive a 2 hour low current top off after termination. So leaving the cells in should be fine; 2 hours after termination there is no further charging.

Quote Originally Posted by louie View Post
    If I read the review correctly, Eneloops receive a 2 hour low current top off after termination. So leaving the cells in should be fine; 2 hours after termination there is no further charging.
    Correct
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

But does that mean that I should wait those 2 hours so the cells are really fully charged? Or removing as soon as the charger is green they’re already full? Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. LED View Post
    But does that mean that I should wait those 2 hours so the cells are really fully charged? Or removing as soon as the charger is green they’re already full? Thanks guys!
    Depends, if you want the maximal capacity wait the two hours, if you are satisfied with maybe 5% less take them when the charger says done.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Good to know, thank you!

Enlightened

A great review as always!
    I was wondering, i was going for the OPUS BT-C3100 v2.2 with the only thing bugging me to be the pulse charging, I find the Xstar VP4 25€ more expensive (70€ vs 45€) is it worth it over the OPUS ?
    Apart from the Xstar not charging in pulses i don't see any other significant differences ?

The thing I noticed instantly was that the Opus cannot charge D cells, I can do 4 of them at once in my VP4, I use D cells a lot.
    will it double up as a battery powered 5V USB charger as well?
    Can you test internal resistance with it?

I`v had my VP4 for quite some time now and it`s used several times a day, it`s as good now as it was when new.

Enlightened

Thanks Katherine, D cells charging and 5V charger not important for me, OPUS tests IR and capacity as well, so the only difference i'm not sure how important it is, is the pulse charging which i don't really know if it will cause me problems in cell life and/or smaller cells by tripping their protection.

The XTAR has a better IR measuring circuit that compensates for the conductor resistance (but not for the contact resistance). Also, constant current is preferable vs pulse, IMO. Dragon is well built and calibrated.
    All in all, if you don't want to spend the cash for MC3000, the Dragon is the better option, in my view.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12