Display for 0-5 volt analog signal

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I have a large battery pack + controller that indicates the state of charge with a 0-5 volt analog signal.

This is not the common measurement of the cell voltage, it is a calculated SOC from various measurements and it really is supposed to be a linear indication of SOC vs 0-5 volt output.

I am looking for some options to display this 0-5 volt signal. I found some 0-5 and 0-10 volt panel meters, both in analog and digital, but was a little surprised by the $100 - 200/ each price point for a good quality one.

I was thinking that something like a traditional segmented display would be fine, but these seems to use some kind of controller board chip and I am having difficulty figuring that aspect out, and frankly, don't want to build a board for it either.

It really needs something that can stand up to mobile use, not just sit on a bench.

Thanks

Harry

CuriousOne

Enlightened
What precision you mean?

I mean, how many digits after the dot?

Say, 4.98 will be enough, or you need 4.987, or 4.9876 ?

HKJ

Flashaholic
HarryN;5010048I am looking for some options to display this 0-5 volt signal. I found some 0-5 and 0-10 volt panel meters said:
A digital panel meter start about $3 on ebay and you do not have to pay much more to get a decent one.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, thanks for the replies.

1 - 2 digits is plenty. Even 5 LEDs lighting up, each indicating 1 volt is sufficient.

The challenge is finding something that will work in an automotive type mobile environment. That means vibration and wide temperature range operation.

The panel meters designed for automotive, at least the ones I have found so far, are designed for monitoring the 12 volt battery, not down to 1-2 volts.

Even expensive panel meters are not specified to cover much lower than 0 C, a few go down to (-20 C), which is nothing compared to what happens in a car.

The lower cost meters being sold on amazon are not getting very good reliability reviews, even for desk use, much less mobile use, but if you see something specific, please let me know.

Thanks for the ideas so far though.

Last edited:

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Well, I can design and manufacture such indicator, which will work in say, -20C +80C range, and will witstand automotive conditions, but it won't be cheaper than $100 anyways...

parametrek

Enlightened
Seconding what kosPap suggested! You can get them for $6 on amazon. They are so handy. Make sure to get the three-wire version. The two-wire version uses the same wire for sense and power, meaning it can't measure under 2 volts.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
OP wants automotive-grade product, not hobbyist-grade ones, sold at amazon. Go to www.digikey.com for example, and check price of automotive grade meters there.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the replies. Curious One, thanks for understanding the challenge and requirements.

It is interesting just how hard it is to find products that will work at temperatures routinely found in North America, such as (-40 C / F). That is a low temperature, but it isn't "that low" compared to the routine minimum temperatures seen in places like WI and MT.

I guess my experience of living (in the past) in IA and really experiencing temperatures close to (-40) made me aware of the importance of things working at those temperatures. When it is really cold, that is when you really need things to work.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
I know all that, because I worked as aerospace electronics designer. Everything is different for such low temperatures, PCB material is different, solder is different, even IC casing is different...

dragosios

Newly Enlightened
At such temperatures most of the normal materials will become brittle. Also, metal will change shape and lenght which can cause components to loose contact or even break.