Building the "SUNBLASTER" flashlight off YouTube

Zerotohero

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone I need your help. I got my head scratching over all this I'm about to give up on this project... I'm gonna try my very best to explain everything I'm doing again the project I'm doing its named the SUNBLASTER on YouTube. I have 18650 batteries in series running 14.8v with 2 sets parallel. So 4s2p =8 batteries total. I had it running into a voltage booster the bring it up to 30v then after that into a 100 watt led chip. Now my issue I'm getting its set at 30-34v but it's only pulling 1.4 amps... The chip can handle up to 3 amps. I thought I was doing something wrong so I wired up in series the 18650 batteries to get a total voltage @ 34.7v and wired it directly to the LED chip to see what Amps I'm getting I'm only getting 1.4amps which comes out to 48.5 watts around half the chip could handle... I'm using 18 gauge wire which should be thick enough...? Forgive my ignorance I'm trying to learn by getting my hands dirty. But will the LED chip pull whatever it wants as a current..? Because I went online and used a voltage calculator online I put in 34.7v @ 1.4a it told me my watts and resistance. watts 48.5 and resistance 24.7857143 ohms. Why is my resistance so high...? I have nothing but batteries wire to 100w LED does the LED keep the current down?

My next question and I don't wanna do it till I have an answer but the LED handles 30-36v @ 3amps max. Is it okay to keep raising the voltage to archive the desired amps I'd like..? Example when I was at 30v I was hitting .9amps as I kept upping the voltage the current went up [email protected] and so on can I keep going up or is there something I'm doing very wrong..?

https://youtu.be/c--5c3Egv4E

Again thanks to everyone the reads this and is able to set me on the right path.

Enderman

Enlightened
It seems like your LED needs a higher forward voltage to get to the 3A.
If you're voltage booster is variable then slowly increase it while monitoring voltage and current with a multimeter and also the temperature.
Just increase the volts, and the current will go up naturally (as long as your voltage booster can handle it)

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
WARNING: the current of a Led can go up exponentially with increasing voltage, so ramp up the voltage very slowly, 0.05v at a time or so and check the current carefully.
A cree led ramps from 0 to overdriven to broken within less than 1v, starting to light at 2.7v and certainly breaking by 3.7v.
Most leds are driven by a current controlled driver, rather than voltage control, mainly because the voltage is so sensitve and fidely.
If you want to be safe, install a 3 or 4 amp fuse before the led, that way, if you make a mistake the fuse will burn, not the led.

Last edited: