Changing colours on the Photon 2?

Chingyul

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i'm really new to LED lights and this board. I was just wondering what type of LED you need use to change from a white photon to make a turquoise. And also where can i get this? Does it have to be a authentic LRI LED with the "gold leads"?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan- the LED in the turquoise LED is a 40 degree (is that right or is it 50?) Nichia model, I don`t know the part number but I know someone round here who probably does (craig- that`s you
wink.gif
). Finding those leds is difficult, I`m after some myself in the not so distant future (but thats another thread) so my best guess would be to contact LRI. I don`t know what they charge for them but if it`s under, I`d say $5 then for one it`s probably OK. There are however, other types of turquoise led out there that you may like to try , the narrow and odd-beam-shape 20100mcd Nichias (a few online places in US, and maybe elsewhere, stock them) and a 3500-ish mcd 15 degree one from http://theledlight.com, though they probably aren`t near as bright as the one used in the Photon, more like the Infinity light.

The gold plated leads in Photon lights are just a nice touch to improve contact reliability caused by oxidisation, normal Nichia leds don`t have this but should be just fine in their place, maybe needing occasional cleaning if the light becomes too flickery after a lot of use. Shaping the new LED`s leads however, is the tricky part. I`ve not done it myself (yet) but I know you do have to be very careful to get them exactly the same shape as the led you are replacing, or oyu`ll have problems with the light staying on all the time, or not coming on at all.
Hope this helps...

smile.gif

by the way if you do get one, please let me know what LRI charge for those turquoise leds
grin.gif
I`d be interested to know.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Millinship:
Dan- the LED in the turquoise LED is a 40 degree (is that right or is it 50?)
Nichia model, I don`t know the part number but I know someone round here who probably does (craig- that`s you
wink.gif
).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The LED in the Photon II is *probably* a Nichia NSPE510B. This is the 45° model with no stopper. They might also be using NSPE510BS and cutting off the stoppers.
Both are functionally identical.

The B.G. Micro part, LED-1052, is a NSPE500BS (also known as NSPE590S) and in my opinion, has an unacceptably narrow beam which I estimate to be 4° by 6°. Literature may give a larger value on this, but I wouldn't believe it much farther than I can throw it.
blush.gif

These are the same LEDs that people here speak of when they say they built a blue-green flashlight and sandpapered the top of the LED to diffuse the beam a bit.
They're pretty useless for a flashlight unless you alter them.

Another fairly common blue-green LED is the NSPE505BS, which occasionally shows up on ebay as a 7,000mcd lamp with a 15° viewing angle.
It actually has the same angle and beam confguration of the blue NSPB500BS (3,000mcd typ.) and green NSPG500BS (10,000mcd typ.).

Don't ask me why Nichia makes their blue-green LEDs differently than the blue and green.
confused.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just re-checked my turq. LED that I'm using in my 1st Gen. Keyled.
-Unfortunately, the BARE LED has a "dogbone/barbell" beam, & would not be any good without a lens, (like the KeyLed lite has)
frown.gif

BTW, I think I remember that "telephony" guy
grin.gif
used to have some Wide angle turq., but not lately
frown.gif

Chingyul

Newly Enlightened
I just got a email from the guy from Photon. He says that the led would start at about $6. Call LRI at 541-925-3741. He suggested that it can be hard to get the switch to function properly though.