Just ordered the Nitecores TM28

megabrightlite

Newly Enlightened
May be overkill at 6,000 lumens for my first light but live on 1\2 an acre in the woods and am hoping to see what lurks in the trees as well as let would be thieves know I can see them well. Any thoughts good or bad are appreciated as again, my experience in owning a high powered light is null.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote: "May be overkill..."

It depends on how much power you want and/or need, and how much size and weight you can accept in order to achieve that power. Other variables include throw capability, run time, tint, heat management, beam pattern, etc.

I am sure that the four non-overlapping reflectors will yield a very nice beam pattern. The TM 26 that the 28 is based on is a true classic, the XHP35 is an awesome emitter, so I am sure that you will love this light. :welcome:

harro

Enlightened
The only issue ( not problem ) with going so big, early on, is that nearly anything else you look at, is likely to be underwhelming in its output, when compared to your TM28. Whether this is an issue, or not, is entirely up to the individual. There are a lot of other aspects to a light, than just sheer output. Asthetics, materials, colour, binning of LED's and so on. None the less, a great start to a collection.

megabrightlite

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the informative replies. Actually better replies than in comparison to most other types of forums I belong to, I think I found a new hobby:) let me shed some more light (pun intended) on why I purchased this particular light. Our property is fenced and several times a week someone walks the perimeter of the fence on foot with no more than a 100 lumen light scoping our property. The local Sheriffs office say its allowed because he's technically not on our property. My intent is to shine it on him letting him know he's being watched (hopefully to ward off or intimidate). The furthest he will be from the light at any given point will be 65 feet. Is the TM28 the best light for my intentions?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 65 feet, whoever it is will definitely know you are aware of them and watching. You should definitely get a 'deer in the headlights' response with a TM28. I know you will like the light, but a TM16GT or any of the P-series would probably have done as good a job at that distance. But this way you will be able to let them know exactly how far away you can see them when they run away in panic from your searchlight. Maybe a couple firecrackers to let off at the same time to make them think you are firing warning shots. :devil: Just something to make them think twice about whatever they are thinking about doing. You might want to add a motion detector yard light just to help the image along. And don't forget the Mantra - "Two is One, and One is None). A nice backup light like an EA/EC11 or the EC4SW would be handy as well as a second light.

harro

Enlightened
In that case, and exactly as Timothybil says, the more you can make the unwelcome observer, a deer in the headlights, the better. At 100' with any large light, hopefully you will deter the observer eventually, and you will be left alone ( giving them a taste of their own medecine, springs to mind ). Good luck.

filipdent

Newly Enlightened
Do you know what kind of beam the tm28 have?i mean it is thrower or flood beam?

megabrightlite

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the AWESOME replies, you guys rock! (Love the firecrackers!) just may have to do that one. filipdent this is some specs I copied off their website, throw being 655 metres...

TM28_EN_23.jpg

Xiphex

Newly Enlightened
My opinion is you should have gone for the invisible Active Infrared Beam Motion Detection Technology. Most systems can be connected to the home security system and have multiple zones & a Nitecore MH27UV (Real frequency Hz Police flashing lights)

megabrightlite

Newly Enlightened
My opinion is you should have gone for the invisible Active Infrared Beam Motion Detection Technology. Most systems can be connected to the home security system and have multiple zones & a Nitecore MH27UV (Real frequency Hz Police flashing lights)

Can you elaborate because I'm not familiar with that technology. Are you saying if my home alarm is triggered I'd shine an MH27UV in the red/blue mode at the stalker?